1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

shrewsbury can still do it

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by lesshrew, May 14, 2011.

1. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>
    please log in to view this image
    i see the shrews are training hard for torquay

2. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

There was someone similar from Notts County defending Munto on the 606 boards at the height of their dreams of riches. She defended Munto to the hilt but disappeared when it became apparent that it was all fake. Many Notts supporters believed that she was somehow related!!!

3. Rocky blue army

i dont know any wycombe fan that likes steve hayes or what he is doing to our club the man is a leech sucking our club dry,i dont know who has informed the wum on here but he obviously has not got the facts right.

4. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rocky that'll be some elephant grass being harvested to make bio fuel ;)

Perhaps we need to feed the Ginger one some of it before Friday's game.

5. shrewdchemic

shrewdchemic Member

JS - Shrews have no debt. The new stadium was financed in full by the proceeds from selling Gay Meadow (at the height of the property boom, perfectly timed). It looks like Turner had a much bigger budget this season than Simpson was given last but it's not an all or nothing season for us. We've always targeted promotion this season but, with so many young players, it won't be a disaster if we fall short. Turner will still be in charge next season in either league and, even with a play off hangover, I'd expect us to be strong challengers again next time.

6. Rocky blue army

our debt is spiralling out of control,how can a club our size lose 1.7 million in a year its beyond me.:steam::steam::steam::steam:

7. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

shrewsbury town is a an ambitious well run club, and the chairman and board showed how ruthless they were in sacking paul simpson in april last year because town did not get to the playoffs. this year the shrews have, but may not be good enough to win them. i believe graham turner has earned another season with town to achieve what he probably set out to achieve last june, auto promo. this year has been a successful season for the club, frustrating, but successful. long may it continue, floreat salopia. the chairman can be proud of signing gt, and gt can be proud of most of his squad. all roland witcherley and his board need is a lot of patience

8. atcham jack

sorry i have no idea of towns debt but our attendances have been good. i am sure our chairman and board have no desire to see thir club to slip into too much debt

9. Matster

Forum Moderator

Our attendances have dropped slightly over the last couple of years. We were averaging 6k and i think it's around 5.5k now. As far as I know the club has little if no debt and we're happy it stays that way, I personally think all levels of football should have a ratio of earnings to player wages debt and not just L2.

I don't think Turners budget has been too big as we have several young players on loan. Sadler and a couple of others (probably Harrold) might be costing us though!

10. ManFeelings

ManFeelings Member

I'd love to think that if we don't make it this year we are gearing up for a title challenge next

11. atcham jack

not forgetting the cool 250k we picked up for our youth goalkeeper, yes shrews are a well run club with high ambitions but not yet perhaps the strength in depth in our squad to achieve what we would most like. with the help of some iffy shrimps in the away changing room, a home goal fest, who knows

12. Rocky blue army

please log in to view this image
    whats that song citeh fans used to sing ......feed the goat and he will score,feed the donkey and ............no on second thoughts dont bother<laugh><laugh><laugh>

13. shrewdchemic

shrewdchemic Member

Wigglesworth and Linington must have been expensive! Then there's Ainsworth's range of hair products. Maybe Nikki Bull's internet charges for the War of Twitter. It all adds up.

Is that right, 1.7m? That's a lot.

14. Rocky blue army

1.7 and rising

15. Matster

Forum Moderator

Just depends who GT can sign in the summer. One each of striker, midfielder and defender at least. I assume that the loanee goal keeper might make a reappearance to replace Neal.

16. Hounded Out By Morons

According to the pundits on Sky we have splashed out to win promotion, yet Reid cost Stevenage a 6 figure fee. Wroe, Wright and Ainsworth probably together only just reached the 6 figure mark and they are the only players that have commanded a fee this season. That is more than balanced by the incoming fees for the 15 yr old and Langmead. Big spending is a myth perpetuated by an aggrieved Paul Simpson who had far more money to spend than Gary Peters or GT.

17. Matster

Forum Moderator

plus the Joe Hart money, I assume we got a fee for Hibbert too?

18. Hounded Out By Morons

Forgot about Hart but Hibbert was a Bosman free transfer.

19. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Get rid of the "Ginga" and get a prolific striker in like Le Fondre. It seems that the teams that win the league always have a 20+ goal machine up front. That was our problem this year, and although we scraped through at the end, our goal difference was poor and we relied too much on help from the midfield.
    It also seems to work having a "Gareth Ainsworth" style player i.e. someone of age dropping down the leagues. The skill level (even if the legs are on the way out) is more than a match for a lot of league 2 teams. They also can score some great imaginary goals :)~

20. Matster

Forum Moderator

We had conflicting issues over the last two seasons. A set of strikers who had proven goal scoring ability and a midfield who were proven midfielders. Unfortunately over both seasons one set hasn't worked well with the other set. No midfield supply means that no matter how good the strikeforce there are fewer goals and having a good midfield with weak strikers means fewer goals.

I think we've mainly struggled in midfield and not having a strong defensive player and a strong attacking central player has cost us.