1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Shrewsbury Town v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 13, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

LJ has never been favoured by me but how the hell can you justify sacking him when we are only 1 point out of the play offs, it's not bullshit to accept the fact we have been defeated in the cup and now must concentrate on success in the league and achieve minimum play off status, we are in the middle of a transfer window, there must be negotiations going on with different players,imagine their reaction if everything goes hostile against LJ and he gets the chop, they wouldn't want anything to do with us and would run a mile to avoid uncertainty, then we would really be in the crapper.

I remember the years of worrying every season about the threat of relegation and to his firm credit and being a realist LJ has removed that threat for several years now and we have had steady progress, there is no denying we appear to be in the mire but the guy deserves the chance to rectify the situation.

If current form continues and LJ, his management group is failing in their leadership and Bristol City FC is nose diving to obscurity, that is the time to act, boot him out and I'll be in the group cheering for his exit but let us be not to quick in what we wish for.

If Steve Lansdown is the man I think he is LJ has already been summoned, a severe warning issued, which he thoroughly deserves and he, if wise is treading very carefully but to sack him and go rudderless would be unwise.

As for Warnock forget it, we are not in crisis.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Nice to see a bit of Common Sense on these boards sometimes Wiz!!
    I think some of our :emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0170-ninjaknee jerk fans prefer us yo yo between the lower leagues rather than be established in the Championship...the odd few bad results and they are up in arms...Premiership will be a nightmare <laugh>

Reliant Robin TC2 and Supcon72 like this.
  3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

...Premiership will be a nightmare
    please log in to view this image

Firstly - I have serious doubts that we'll ever be serious contenders to ever get there, and
    Secondly - I can't see us breaking the bank to ensure we actually have a chance of staying there in the unlikely event of it actually happening

4. oneforthebristolcity

Can you imagine if LJ actually got us there.....I think he would get 2 months grace Tops.. then all the usual will be out in force!!

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  5. oneforthebristolcity

Ahhhh thought as much....."The defeat response"......Angles covered! :emoticon-0105-wink:

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Onefor, honest question; do you think Lee is the best person to take us to the premier league?
    I’m a self confessed ‘happy clapper’ and (for now) don’t want him sacked, but equally I can’t see us getting promoted under him (If he stays - as I think he will - and we ARE promoted I’d be delighted to say I was wrong)

Lee Johnson - in my opinion - is a safe bet to keep us in the Championship. He is well respected in the football community as a whole, but a ‘marmite’ character within our club. He will, A’s has been said many times, polarised opinions and while we are doing well things go quiet, but the grumbling is always there.
    Now, I personally don’t give a flying fig about the die-hard ‘haters’ and their preconceptions. I speak only for myself - and whilst of course I want us to play in the premiership, if Lee stays and we have 5 more years of championship football I won’t be devastated. It would be the best consecutive run in the second tier in my memory, so not too bad.
    If, however, the premiership is really our goal, then maybe we should change managers - but that comes with a risk too. Nothing in football is guaranteed and with LJ we can more or less guarantee we won’t go down. With another manager who knows - but one thing I can say for certain is that I NEVER want to see us in League 1 again - even if we romp it as we did under Cotts that season that lots of people look back on with fondness - it was LEAGUE 1 for me and I’d rather be where we are thanks.
    My opinions only of course - as always.

manxrobin likes this.
  7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Angles covered then 1For;)

What's your take on identity, dna and box entries ?

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Barnsley had some shrewd dealings in the summer almost a new team … and now they may reap some sort of reward! won 4 of last 9 drew 3 lost 2 they will not be easy form is = to a top 8 team

9. Angelicnumber16

Indeed. Saw them recently against WBA and they looked a decent team.

10. oneforthebristolcity

Is he the best person to take us to the premiership.....depends what you mean by best.......I have no doubt that there are better managers.....but not sure we are able to afford them, plus they would want to spend a hell of lot more.....and of course there are managers that have got there without zillions (RP's phrase) but IMO normally with a bit of luck, getting players that instantly gel.....sometimes more luck than judgement...but it happens...Look at Norwich last season....their season just worked well.....but, same set of players, struggling big time in the Prem...where the likes of Sheff U, having a great time of it.....that's football.
    As for LJ, I think he has the mindset and with the right players I think he could take us there, but I suppose it's down to, how long will the fans or SL give him? Will he ever get the right players in that will gel over a season.......sorry mate, questions I can't answer....but would love him to do it, being he actually loves the club like the rest of us..

bcfcredandwhite likes this.

11. johngalleyfan2

Brentford have done what city do scooped some of the better young players from lower divisions
    you could put a list together of over a dozen current ones in the championship of gone up one already .. missed Ollie and Dack thought we were after them but didn't make a strong effort I thought Brentford on top of us in both ways... !!!

12. oneforthebristolcity

I think he does have the footballing brain for all of those things RP, sometimes thinks/complicates too much.. I believe in his mind he has the ability to make it happen.....but getting the players in or the ones we have to do the same, is the downfall he needs to sort out.......with time, I believe he can...but maybe he won't be allowed it...

13. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I respect your post, I also notice angles covered.

'being that he actually loves the club'
    1For, you're a nicer person than me. I just see a different LJ.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We all have our varying opinions of LJ and for me he is just doing enough to get us through this season. I suppose it depends on his mandate from the boss is, and whether he has been brought to task about his running of the on-field business including everything football. At every transfer window I look for the player, or players, that might help us as a team produce more consistency in effort and results and on most occasions we fall short of the desired end product. I fully understand the philosophy of not splashing the cash on left over players, particularly in January, and if I'm totally honest I don't have much of a problem with that kind of attitude.

Lee does really have a love-in with Bristol City but I still need convincing that he has the total footballing nous to get us over the line when it comes down to the selection of players and formations. Why bring on Semenyo in the 90th minute at Shrewsbury is a case in point?

Over the years we just never appear to get all our ducks in a row and I wonder if this is the last roll of the dice for Lee to get it totally right, or will it become change partners again? I hope not!

15. oneforthebristolcity

Had Semenyo scored in the last minute, it would have been considered as a master stroke......but they don't come around very often.
    I would really like to know, how much say he does get with players coming in.....maybe he asks for a striker or defender and has to go with what he gets offered and not necessarily the actual player that he wants...........Bristol City have always struggled attracting really decent players and I must say managers for that matter, hence I think in LJ, he's better than most of the dross we've had in the past....and should have more time to get it right..

Supcon72 likes this.
  16. Angelicnumber16

If that's true, and decisions as to what player, or standard of player he gets are out of his hands, then he's fighting a losing battle, and it actually wouldn't surprise me a jot either.
    I think Cottrell also had some decent players lined up in principal as 'done deals' but after a return from holiday expecting the formal signings to go through, they had already been scuppered by senior management in his absence.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  17. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

According to Mark Ashton no player comes in without Lee Johnson approval. Lee Johnson is identifying transfer targets with City's coaching staff being enlarged to allow Mr Johnson more time to do so.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  18. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

..... and whatever one thinks of LJ it’s right and proper that the manager has an influence over who comes to the club.
    A mate of mine is a Chelsea fan season ticket holder with a lot of connections behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge. He told me on very good authority that it was LJ personally who persuaded them to let us have Tammy, despite interest from other ‘bigger’ clubs.

19. johngalleyfan2

there is a difference between manager and head coach …. so its the head coach Lee who gets a say in who he wants, but it is not solely his yes or no … he can say he wants so and so OR he can say don't think so and get them anyway or not as they are assumed to be of future benefit by the management …..