1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Shrewsbury v Coventry

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Matster, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Town are at home to Coventry today and we night well see a few ex Salop players get game time including Grimmer, Brown and Ogogo. There might well be some booing for two of those players, but I think a clap is a better response.

Town haven't always had the best results against Coventry but hopefully today will see us gain three points. Whalley is out injured again for next three odd weeks but most should be fit.

Weather's looking like it should be a calm and sunnyish day

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

the positive a win ,three points and a clean sheet
    but for it was two poor teams, whilst town had the brighter start and for 30 minutes looked comfortable we had five chances two were blocked and three went off target.

thought Grant , Holloway and Haynes had good games, ferjiri looked creative and dangerous when he had the ball unfortunately that did not happen enough. town faded towards the end of the first half.

a superb free kick from Docherty and well taken by Holloway .

To many times through the game town distribution in the last third was poor and erratic, we lost far to much possession from that and lost momentum, the town players were often static at throw ins and generally i thought the throw ins were poor.over the whole game i thought Laurent and Docherty had poor games. Arnold fumbled a straight forward shot that was put in the goal thankfully for town it was disallowed.

the last fifteen minutes town sat deep and hanged on the two substitutions of lewis for holloway and Sears for ferjiri could be viewd as town defending the lead , holloway had a knock and may have been injured
    lewis was given the best chance of the game free on goal with plenty of time but managed to make a real mess of it and did not even hit the target .i thought the ref was poor.
    fortunately town won and whilst some games need to be ground out better finishing and better distribution and this game would have been more comfortable. as it is we won and have the valuable points with a good crowd.

Matster likes this.
  3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A win is a win but Coventry were surprisingly poor and negative so it was a bit disappointing not to score in the first half when we dominated. Thought Holloway had his best game for us and was pleased to see him score but what a great delivery from Docherty. It took them a while for Coventry to work out that Grant is our key player and he made a few uncharacteristic errors when they hassled him more in the second half. Finally I must say something about the reaction of a sizeable number of fans to Ogogo and Brown. These were two key players for us who never gave less than 100% and left when their contracts were up as they were entitled to do. To hear so many people booing them was quite simply embarrassing and the people doing this should take a long hard look at themselves.

Zenfootball2 and Matster like this.
  4. Zenfootball2

totally agree about the booing ,ivan toney been shouted at and called a W***er all game was disgusting ,also Payne tweeted about negative comments about him on social media that were factually incorrect all of which is regrettable .

5. greenhousmeadowman

Zen, do you think there is some sort of ulterior motive at work here, at least among some of the boo boys. The four players we have mentioned are all from ethnic minorities and their reception is in stark contrast to the warm ones given to Collins at Luton, Neal in the recent cup game and Daniels when we played at Scunthorpe a couple of seasons back. I would like to think the vast majority of our fans are not like that.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  6. Zenfootball2

i think you might be right but hope you are not, i felt very uncomfortable at the level of hostility shown to Ivan and i failed to see why the stewards did nothing.

it was in sharp contrast to the warm reception for Haynes from Coventry, my view is if you cant applaud ex players just do nothing
    football is a career were one serious injury and it is all over,so i don't blame players going for more money or in Ivan case i believe he was unhappy at the club and the move has worked for him.Football is a ruthless game and there is no loyalty from clubs who quickly unload players for a variety of reasons,so days of a players just playing for one club are long gone .

7. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think a lot of fans are bitter about those who jumped ship at the end of last season. Payne wasn't scoring so we got a good deal for him. Ogogo wanted to be at a bigger club, but they aren't much bigger but guess wages are. Brown - wish he'd stated on but I bet he got offered more. Toney was booed last season too mainly because he gets fouled an awful lot. I bet fans might boo Nolan and Nsiala too.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  8. greenhousmeadowman

Yes, Matster and Zen I hope it is just a coincidence or just a special set of circumstances but in the cases of Ogogo and Brown they were two players who gave absolutely everything for the cause over a number of seasons and I think their treatment by a sizeable number of fans was particularly harsh. They left because their contracts were up and they got what they thought were better offers though from the footballing point of view it looks as if they have gone backwards rather than forwards. I have no doubt Nolan and Nsiala would receive similar treatment but the way they put in transfer requests a few days before the new season was not right, especially given that their careers had taken off with us.

Matster likes this.