1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Shrewsbury v York

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Matster, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thankfully it's not March as we don't fancy any Yorkies marching up and down all over us.... Sorry.

Town need a win to help secure promotion and York need the points to be able to reach mid table. York are unbeaten in the last six and Shrewsbury are unbeaten in zero games but are unbeaten at home quite significantly.

Shrewsbury had a 'goal malfunction' in Tuesday night's game and unfortunately other teams capitalised on this by winning their games the cheeky scampsters. Woods and Goldson are available again, will they walk into the team? Mangan and Woods have been nominated for FL Awards.

Dave Winfield is unavailable due to some sort of violence on the pitch and striker Emile Sinclair is possibly still out on injury.

Who will take the game and win the match? Hopefully it is Shrewsbury and other results go our way. If nif I look forward to Cheltenham!

What are your thoughts? Stick 'em below and give some feedback via here or via Twitter @not606salop

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/315397/preview
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32262225

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Matster

Forum Moderator

Town were dominant through most of the first half, yet also seemed to fail to provide suitable quality to get the strikers. We do seem to heavily rely on crosses and need to give an alternative form of attack through the midfield. Barnett had a decent long shot but I cannot remember any decent play forwards for Mangan to latch onto. The defence and midfield were solid and happily passed the ball around. York's youngish lad with the curly haircut was always found near the action but was safely dealt with, however their number 10 definitely was one to watch as he created plenty of opportunities especially in the second half. Bobby Grant had a cracking reaction shot in the first half and also some excellent corner kicks, but became slightly more 'off' in the second half.

The subs on were JLAA and Collins. I know that Barnett and Mangan weren't creating too much, but Collins still did not add to the squad today and his arguing with the ref was plain foolish. We survived an onslaught from York in the second half and we probably are very lucky to get out with three points, in honesty though we should have got more from the game in the first half and killed off their attack through a two goal lead. JLAA needs to practice one on one's until he learns how to chip/lob/blast/pass/dummy shot in order to improve his success rate.

Leutwiler must likely get the MoM for the fantastic saves he made in the second half.

3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A very tight game with some enjoyable football played by both sides. I was impressed by Summerfield and Penn in York's midfield and they were certainly unrecognisable from the team we played earlier on in the season. We did enough to shade it and Leutweiler was my Man of the Match for some outstanding saves - what a find this guy has been and I hope we do not lose him in the summer.
    Other results mainly did not go our way but a draw between Bury and Southend will mean we are promoted on Tuesday to all intents and purposes due to our massive advantage on goal difference. Looking forward to the Cheltenham game where they will be desperate for a win to keep themselves in contention on the final day. Not sure whether that is to our advantage or not but surely we have enough firepower upfront to come away with the win that will definitely secure us promotion. We only need one slip from Burton to be champions if we win our last two games. I would start with Akpro and Barnett upfront at Cheltenham on current form (and have Collins and Mangan as a very formidable back-up team).
    Well done to MM and his coaching staff and the lads for a tremendous season - I am greatly looking forward to the icing on the cake and a promotion party at Cheltenham with 1700 Town fans - it promises to be a great day.
    Floreat Salopia!

Matster likes this.
  4. Matster

Forum Moderator

5. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

We don't half make hard work of things. My health won't stand much more. Strange starting partnership up front. I thought near the end at Bury that Barnett and Akpa Akpro were combining well. Odd looking bench with Caton, Smith and Burton on it

6. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

KDS,
    I agree it was hard work watching the second half but prefer to think of it more as grinding out a result against an in-form team who had little to lose. York have a decent midfield and that highlighted our tendency to drop a few yards too deep and invite long-range shots on our goal (fortunately Leutwiler is probably the best shot-stopper in this division). I do not think Cheltenham (even though they will be desperate not to lose) have the same quality as York and if Plymouth beat Tramere they should get in the play-offs on goal difference even if they lose to us. So I am looking at the best-case scenario of us winning our last two games and Burton dropping two pojnts against Northampton (who can match any side in this league on their day and have Richards back) so we can go up as Champions.Might be worth a bet at odds of 5/2!
    I also agree that Barnett and Akpro should be our starting pair up front on Saturday- their pace could be a big weapon on the break as Cheltenham will have to come at us.