1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shrinking squad

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Jobboshinpad, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jobboshinpad

Jobboshinpad Active Member

January set off like a bit of a rocket with us signing Mclean, Fryatt, Chester, getting Guzan in for a short spell and Mannone back on loan and more latterly getting Evans and Belaid in. So 6/7 welcome additions.

Going out we've got Kilbane, Cooper, Cullen and Bullard out on loan. Halmosi and Zayatte cancelled contracts. Gardner stayed away and Ayala not coming back.

If I'm honest I'm happy with 95% of the in's and out's. Like many I'm concerned by the lack of options at the back. Central defence and Left Back being the weakest area's. So what and who would you like to come in and does anyone have any idea who trialist is?

Anyone else concerned by the lack of defensive options ?

2. TheWoolster

TheWoolster New Member

I'm desperate for a left-back to come in. From what I've seen of Chester, he doesn't look anything like a full-back. We missed out on George McCartney and I'd have made a bid for Matt Kilgallon. The only player I can think of is Fabio from Manchester United but I doubt they'd let him go, the same with Kelly from Liverpool.

3. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

Let's not forget that Cooper's only out on loan for a month. If we don't bolster our defensive options by the end of January then I imagine we won't allow Carlisle to keep him.

I'm really not comfortable with McShane at centre half, he's my new Zayatte. At right back he's fine, but we already have Rosenior and Nobby for that.

But yeah, I agree, we're looking a bit thin. Right back position is covered but at centre half and left back we really don't have enough. I'd love a left back similiar to Rosenior to come in and another centre back, not that I have any suggestions.

4. prideofyorkshire

We've got a few that can play in more than one position though don't we? Evans can play CB, and Chester LB? Would like to see Ayala back and some cover at LB, but at the same time i'm not overly worried at the moment.

5. prideofyorkshire

Sorry, just seen you said about Chester not looking like a full back. Not seen him play so can't really comment on that one!

6. Ashbees Plums

Ashbees Plums Member

I wouldn't write off Andy Dawson just yet, his form might improve for having some better players around him, instead of the likes of Kilbane and Mcshane. Fabio from Man U is a good idea actually, he's a player crying out for games.

7. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

I think a squad of 25-30 is ideal. Competition for each outfield place, 3 keepers and the odd youth player trying to break through. Any more and you're just making players unhappy / unfit and costing unnecessary wages. I think we're there or thereabouts, with a fair few being shifted and replaced in the summer.

8. blackandamber

blackandamber Member

I think dawsons just missing having a left midfielder like hunt who helps him out. He had it in our first champ year and we had 3 defensive midfielders in the first premier year. He's a bit slow but not a bad player. I'd like an attacking full back but that's about it

9. H-D

H-D Active Member

Although we are a bit short defensively, I'm happy with the trasfers this month. Fryatt looks class, Chester has alot of potential and I like Evans aswell. ImperialTiger is right when he/she (don't want to be getting into trouble now ;-) ) says that a squad size of 25-30 is good enough. When Cooper is back I think we're looking like a promotion chasing team, and although I doubt we'll get into the top 6 this season, we can push on in 2012 with all these young players

10. robingram02

robingram02 Well-Known Member

Problem is will we keep alot of the young players? ie Evans im sure I read sees his future at man u, stewart depends on how well he performs if he continues to be inconsistent then we have a chance I suppose, but if hes ripping up trees for the 2nd half of the season they'll no doubt want to keep him and extend his contract. I can't see arsenal selling mannone with Arsene being as he is and f he probably has hopes of playing for them still. Gerrard would be a key buy, but if cardiff go up then he'll probably want to fight for a place with them, Jones isnt a mug and will see how well hes played for us. I hope we manage to get a couple on perms at least, but im not sure how realistic that is.

11. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

The thing with having a young squad is all well and a good, and i agree with it but young players are so inconsistent, they will have amazing games and pretty poor one's we have seen that with Stewart and Devitt, whether in Stewart's case that is because of being played out of position is hard to say. However with a young squad we will continue to be inconsistent until they get there inconsistency out of their game. However i like the idea behind it and the philosphy that NP is putting it into the team, however i hated it when Dowie used to pick it on effort in training, that was a step to far....

12. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm still hoping Ayala will return, he's back in training apparently, so hopefully we'll hear back on that one soon(he was supposed to be playing in the reserve game against Man United last week, but didn't quite make it). We really need a left back too, though we do seem to have an ongoing aversion to signing left backs.

Cooper can play left back, but he seems very keen to stay at Carlisle for the rest of the season and it may well be in his best long term interest to do so.

I wish we knew who this trialist was.

13. RogerMellyspeaks

yeah I've got my hopes pinned on Ayala - seems there's no-one at Liverpool knows what's going on but the Derby story seems to have gone cold....he did say he'd be pleased to come back though could be he may get a chance under Dalgliesh

14. CumbrianTiger

CumbrianTiger Member

I think Ayala might be a go-er as Daglish seems intent on creating a 'scouse home grown' core. Like the old Carra Gerrard, i think Kelly is his new golden boy.

15. mark2112

mark2112 Member

We nned another LB for cover and it may make Dawson perform more if his position is under threat.

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It looks like he's out tomorrow with a groin strain and Solano hasn't trained this week either, we might have to have Macca at right back and Rosenior at left back.

17. robingram02

robingram02 Well-Known Member

Taarabt vs Macca. That should be fun, his main task should be to kick him out of the game. Well at least we have strikers who can score now because I can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

18. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Maybe we'll switch Chester to LB and play Zaya...Coo...Kil...Halm...looks like Macca and Rosenior are about the only option if that is the situation we find ourselves in (unless Evans can play CB?)

19. TigerStar

TigerStar Member

I can't see the size of our squad being a problem, as long as we get 1 or 2 defenders in we're looking good, seems like Nige has a pretty good eye for loan signings so where ever we are next year I can see us getting a decent few then anyway. We should probably give the squad we have now some time to settle and work together, maybe giving people a try in different postitions, e.g. Mclean on the wing, Stewart upfront, test out Belaid in different places.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Evans can play centre back, but I'm not sure Pearson will be keen on breaking up the Gerrard/Chester partnership.