1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sick Of Connolly

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by dontgonigel, Jan 31, 2012.

1. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

In the grand scheme of things he has been brilliant. We wouldn't have got auto without him IMO, heroics at brighton included.

That being said now is not a bad time to faze him out, and with other attacking options Lambert, Sharp, Lee, it's hard for him to get in there. I would have Guly in there above him too and he's not even technically a striker.

Connolly I love you, and thank you, you'll be given a huge cheer come end of the season when we bid farewell.

2. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

he has been a good servant for the club. He is not an out and out striker but more of a link man, Lallana plays much better with DC in the team. His time is coming to an end now with him maybe 5th choice striker- but that does not give people the right to call him crap. Obviously the manager sees that he had a part to play, but now with 2 new strikers his playing time will become almost 0. I believe he helps the kids alot, would be good to have them taught by an honest, inteligent pro.

3. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Still think punch is not fully match fit. also gave the chance to 23000 saints fans to welcome him back

4. TheRealOrangePeel - CRBA

I heard this to, and from what was said the weekend just before the Leicester game.

Sure he is happy to see on here that he is being phased out. He still has a lot to offer, not least in showing the "youngsters" positioning. Presume Sharp will be first choice to partner Lambert, and would think he knows it too.

5. St Mustard

St Mustard Member

This...

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's had a bad couple of games - and at home as well - so i'm not surprised that has led to some of his critics making their voices heard. But he's a quality player who links the play up superbly. However he isn't a real goalscorer, and that is what we need - so from this weekend onwards, he's going to have to get used to being behind sharp in the pecking order.

7. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Connolly is the February star on the Saints Official Calendar, this usually means he will be crocked during the month, Lala was on January page, picked up his injury, and just like last years calendar (except June and July it seems) was jinxed, so this years appears to be the same!

8. SAINTDON13

9. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Dan Harding last September and Lee Barnard last December spring to mind! I would prefer to have team shots such as celebrating rather than certain players

10. SAINTDON13

January 2010 Lala = injured: February 2010 = Puncheon off into the wilderness: March 2010 = Spider, injured: April 2010 = Butterfield, injured: May 2010 = Jedi, injured: June 2010 = Lambo, no football: July 2010 = Kelvin, no football, August = Jose, the exception, September 2010 = Harding, injured: October 2010 = Hammond, missed some games, November = Oxo, off to Arsenal,
    December = Barney, injured.
    Spooky.

11. Imsaintsme

Imsaintsme Member

He's not had the best of games recently but no way should he be made an example.

DC has a real football brain. I admire his awareness and his passion for the game.

He could have easily retired early with all the injuries and setbacks but he dug deep to get fit.

DC is exactly the type of player that can come on with 10 mins to go in a crucial game and find the back of the net to seal a win.

12. SAINTDON13

There isn't a better player in the squad for creating space and showing strategic awareness, if he can pass that on to the rest of the squad he will still be an assett, there will always be those that watch football without appreciating the wider issues of the game, that is not a crime in itself, we all want the same result ultimately, however we perceive it.

13. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

Fair enough, I can't claim to be a master of football strategy, but the way he played nobody needed to mark him, lambert had two men climbing all over him whenever he got near the box and the only people with any space were the guys who can't or won't hit a barn door.

edit: tbh it seemed he'd caught the goal shyness of cork. getting the ball in front of goal, passing it out wide, getting it back and passing it back out wide the other side again. such a notable event but I didn't even remember it until now.

14. SAINTDON13

Lambert having two men climbing over him was about right, you noticed that, why didn't that numpty with the whistle see it?

15. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I don't know if its just me being overly excitable, but I think Billy will either take a bit of attention of Rickie, or be bloody lethal while RL's tying defenders up. God I'm looking forward to his debut. This could be a really good partnership.