1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sjp

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I agree and feel quite nostalgic about the old grounds tbh, I could name most of them and loved the old 'Belle Vue's' and 'Valley Parade's', most of which I've been to.
    Now I don't have any desire to go to the 'Keepmoat's' or whatever.

I adored Roker Park and can still walk around the entire ground if I close my eyes.
    Having said that I'm pleased Sunderland honoured the miners from the old pit and didn't sell the stadium name.
    And, as much as I loved Roker, I've grown to realise that staying there would've made us another Portsmouth or Sheff Wed.

I'll be there on Sunday, will set off on Saturday to start the journey and will be back home on Thursday ........... it's a great ground when it's full on derby day.

2. BalesBalls

BalesBalls Active Member

Reckon a larger % of sunderland fans would swap the new stadium to go back to Roker Park just saying

3. Smug in Boots

You're guessing and I'd say you're wrong ..... besides the majority of our current 40,000 is twice the size of RP at the end.

Everyone I know, who was brought up at Roker, prefers the SOL.

No one loved Roker more than me but I'd be horrified to go back.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

It's the terracing I miss. Whack terracing in north and south stand then tell me The SOL lacks personality. SJP doesn't have personality imo, it just looks like a bodge job, but give it standing areas, like any club, it would ooze personality.

5. Smug in Boots

Not at all.

I always call the ground SJP no matter what, even when it was called Sports Direct or whatever.

I don't childishly disrespect the club by calling it the mismatch, council house or wongadome as some people do.

It's sad when people do that imo.

6. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

<laugh> zing. The mask has slipped, not that there was any significant amount of doubt as to what lay underneath.
    Obvious wum is obvious.

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Never understood that one. SJP is not a dome. <doh>

8. CyprusMackem

CyprusMackem Active Member

I wouldn't. Dont get me wrong nothing has ever come close to a night game in the Fulwell. Roker Park had it's day though. Lack of investment and no option to extend due to it's location and it's very easy to see why we moved.
    I really really wish we would extend the SOL up to it's full capacity (67000 I think it is) re introduce standing and slash admission prices. Bring Football back to the masses where it belongs.
    The days when fans paid players wages are long gone, replaced by the vast sums TV brings in. Why English clubs still feel the need to fleece fans is beyond me.

9. Smug in Boots

Idiot.

10. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Whatever you say smug <ok>

11. Smug in Boots

What a hypocritical knobhead ............. I'm a Sunderland supporter on a Sunderland board talking to Sunderland supporters you idiot <doh>

Any Newcastle supporters who come on here can hardly claim to be 'wummed' as if I'd posted this on a Newcastle board.

If you don't want to be 'wummed' then **** off to your own board and see if I'm there eh?

12. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Agree with you about Fratton Park, it may be falling down but has loads of character and atmosphere and the fans are among the best in the Country. Was in the pub near the ground and chatted to loads of them and it wasn't them and us, it was just as if we were one. Guys just having a drink together. The local residents were great too, came out to have a chat with us and said they were always pleased to see us. One old matelote said he had great memories of being on the Tyne and thought Geordies were a great bunch of people.

13. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Sid James, Mike Ashley's Sports Direct Arena, or whatever it is called these days has to be the worst view for away fans in the Premiership..It also looks so lopsided, that it appears in danger of toppling over..

14. Smug in Boots

Apparently that's 'character' although it would be 'outdated ****e' if it was our ground, obviously.

15. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Sad anal fact.

We played at Syd James' before Newcastle United.

x

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Explain BBP.

17. philray

philray Member

Wittering on about grounds when both teams are rubbish. It is amazing we both get good gates considering the relative dross served up.

18. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

The amount of development NUFCs stadium has gone under, it can hardly be likened to those old stadia full of 'character'.

19. nomoregeordies

nomoregeordies Well-Known Member

Newcastle east end used to play there and one of the visiting teams was sunderland who lost five nil before the formation of newcastle united. Footnote newcastle1 sunderland 9 is still the biggest ever away win in top flight football.

20. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Well i've learnt something new.ta