1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sky and BT

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Goldhawk-Road, May 13, 2020.

1. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Wanted to cancel BT Sports. Apparently you can only do it by phone, and the phones are permanently jammed.
    Cancelled by direct debit and wrote to their head office

Wanted to cancel Sky Sports and Cinema. The system allows me to put Sports on immediate hold, but won't allow me to cancel Cinema without calling a number. When I call, I'm told they can't take my call because I'm not in the necessary minority.

Daylight ****ing robbery. What the hell is Offcom, the regulator doing about this?

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Making sure we're not going around and infecting everyone with our 5G ray guns?

On a serious note - these two have a history of ripping their customers off, so it's no surprise - I haven't subscribed to either for years, add don't miss them at all.

I would have like to have thought they'd be offering refunds on their sports packages anyway, but that's just wishful thinking!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. Goldhawk-Road

Refunds are indeed wishful thinking, but it's a scandal that there allowed to stop people cancelling or changing their package. Ofcom look useless over this. I may write to them with a copy to my MP. The regulator is supposed to protect the consumer.

4. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Might be worth contacting Martin Lewis, he usually has the correct way to exit these sort of rip-offs. My Virgin Media service went down yesterday yet the diagnostic was saying the problem was with my internet (which it wasn't). After nearly an hour waiting on the phone and then under instruction from their rep reconnecting everything was told they'd have to send an engineer. We have Netflix so watched on that last night only to turn over and everything was working again! This morning received a text saying the engineer was on hold as they were investigating a system failure in my area. I honestly think some of their tech is actually the problem rather than the solution...

Steelmonkey likes this.
  5. Goldhawk-Road

My sympathies, Sooper. There's never been a worse time to try to contact one of these big media conglomerates by phone. Glad you're up and running again

Sooperhoop likes this.
  6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Virgin customer service is awful (as are most of them). Seems the utility companies outsource their customer service to India most of the time, and the people on the other end of the line are just working from a script. I'm an engineer, so do a lot of the diagnostic stuff myself but try and explain this to them and they get all confused as it's not in their script.

If it wasn't for the speed that Virgin offer I'd find another supplier, but we need a lot of bandwidth in our house as most of our viewing is streamed.

sb_73 and Sooperhoop like this.
  7. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

why don't you just stop the direct debit? When they phone you up chasing the "money" say you followed their rules by writing in or say you contacted them to change bank details but on second thought decided to cancel..

8. Goldhawk-Road

I've done that with BT and I've just had a call from them and they'll bill me the notice so that's fine.

I wanted to keep Sky just change the package. I may do as you suggest , cancel SKY completely and stop the DD. I'm sure that'll get their attention. I've been with them over 20 years, so we'll see what they offer

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I have managed to defer BT Sports for 1 month and I went on line to freeze Sky Sports. If I find out this is not the case I will quit sky and wait for them to grovel back and offer a deal.

Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Same here, we get reliably over 110mbps from Virgin, well over twice as fast as the more expensive BT. The customer service is ****, but if you threaten to walk a deal is there to be had. Annoyed recently to get an email from them telling me that I could get 1gig speeds (I assume this is full fibre into the house) when in fact I can’t yet in my post code. I’m sure we don’t really need it, but with 3 of us working in the house and countless things streaming video and music, I’m tempted. Hopefully soon.

Streaming is king now, without sport can’t see the point of Virgin, Sky and BT. We have Netflix, Amazon and Disney and of course all of the watch again apps. More than enough.

kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.