1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Slightly disappointed

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulham COYW, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I have to say I'm slightly disappinted with tonights performance. I only have to go on the BBC radio commentary but it seems we did not play very well. The result doesn't worry me as I am sure we will win at the Cottage but we didn't seem to have much of the ball or many chances.

They were a half decent side and so I thought this match would be good preperation for the new season. The Villa game is fast approaching and we don't want a start like we had last year.

Any idea why Dempsey is not playing yet. I know he was having an extended break after Internationals but it worries me as there was talk earlier of him wanting Champions League experience and I just worry Jol is not playing him so he is not cup tied. I wouldn't want to lose him !

2. valjing

valjing Member

FULHAM COYW.
    You could be right,there is a rumour re Demps,
    if he does move on we would miss him like hell.
    There would be a few clubs lining up for his services,
    for me over the last few seasons he has been our linchpin.

3. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I didn't manage to watch the game. I'm disappointed too, but I think we were spoiled a bit by the last round. We've no need to panic unless we concede at the Cottage. Nice to hear Briggs doing well again, and good to see Kasami getting a run-out - I'm hoping Demps is just being saved for the home game, as is Dembele.

4. valjing

valjing Member

The teams performance was well below par,but we really need to address the position of right full back,
    with no disrespect to a mediocre team, who tore through our right flank time and time again.
    I dont like to be to much of a downer but i can see us in trouble against AV for our first game.

5. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Aaron Hughes cannot play at right back. He is constantly exposed playing there because, here's the thing - he's not a right back!

We have some flexibility to cover right back in the event of injuries, but we certainly can't afford to go into the season scraping together cover at right back.

We have to sign a right back. I know there was a lot of vitriol aimed at Salcido, but coming into this window a right back was much more important to us than a left back.

6. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Totally agree about a right back, Valjing, particularly as whoever playes right back against Villa will probably be up against a fired up N'Zogbia, keen to make a good impression on his debut.

8. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Last night we weren't allowed to play the same high tempo pressing game we played against NSI and Crusaders, closing them down quickly, making them try to pass quickly and make mistakes, because of the heat and humidity.

What disappointed me was that when we did have corners or free-kicks they all went to waste. Out of 6 corners, no one threatened to score a goal.

Think if we do a return to the pressing game at home Split don't have the skills to coupe, and will give the ball away more.

9. Captain Morgan

I hope you're right, Super Brian, I hope you're right.

Having missed the game, I'm just going by the comments here and on other boards. The thing that is worrying me is that it sounds like Zamora didn't have a good game - I've seen him described as ineffective last night. Last time round, he did all right but looked like he wasn't as far along as some others in terms of match fitness. If he isn't firing on all cylinders by August 13th, this could be a long, hard and disappointing season for us.

10. Penguin

Penguin Member

I was also disappointed last night but, on mature reflection, have cheered up a bit this morning and am putting last night's performance down as simply Fulhamish.

As is often the case we didn't do as well as expected against a weaker team. In our defence our northern european players were never going to be at their best in the heat and humidity, they're not at full fitness yet and the result wasn't a disaster. I genuinely think we will beat Split at the cottage.

On the subject a RBs, however, I agree with you all. In particular I can't understand why Jol plays Hughes there (much as I like him) instead of Baird.

11. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

12. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I've lost a bit of respect for Danny for those comments. Does he find it hard to play in the PL because he does it every year? Fair enough if he feels like that about playing in Europe, but surely it's something you keep to the dressing room.

13. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed - I was disappointed too.
    We had a poor game. Noone cried when we drew 0-0 at Runevik though - so why is last night such a disaster?

Btw Bairdy was right back every time I had the thread running last night.

14. Penguin

Penguin Member

Apologies for RB mix up. In my defence not heat and humidity but not being able to watch a stream so going by what others had said and past formations which was foolish of me.

By the way, we seem to have a header. Wasn't the one we originally saw but I quite like it.

15. Cottagecravens

It was Baird at RB last night. He got a rough ride and turned bigtime in the 85th minute. The forward shot right at Schwarzer - let off. It was a struggle but its not all lost yet. Confident we will beat them at home next week. These European games are set up so differently than the prem.

We do need cover for RB. Perhaps even a new RB but I doubt this is seen as a priority. Again we are goal shy and this is a major worry. We desperately need a striker. At the very least to have competition for places. Right now we have 2 recognised senior players. Not enough. I’d expect Jol to get someone in. We are remember still missing big goal threats in Dembele and Dempsey. These 2 offer us so much different to the way we play.

16. WhatDoesWoyWant?

I know some of you may not agree with me here but I think we were very complacent last night - what Murphy said we needed to avoid

17. Captain Morgan

One of the things I like about Danny Murphy is that he is a very honest pro, sometimes too honest for his own good, as his comments about certain other clubs showed last season. He tends to say what he thinks rather than worrying about how others will take it. I haven't lost respect for him over his comments, but like others I did find them a little worrying.

I think we need to wait and see what response the team shows next week before we get too hot and bothered. If this result convinced Jol that he hasn't finished his transfer business for this window then maybe some good will come out of it. I'd still like another striker (or maybe even two) and a right back if the funds are there for fees and wages.

18. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed on strikers and RBs. Neither Bobby nor AJ have been as good as they could be, maybe some competition is what we need.

19. Captain Morgan

We're linked today with Cameron Jerome from Birmingham. I don't know a lot about him but I imagine he would be an adequate back up to Bobby (which we need). He should be quite cheap too, what with Birmingham needing to reduce the wage bill and get some cash into the bank account pronto.

20. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

QUOTE=Bidley;920999] Neither Bobby nor AJ have been as good as they could be, maybe some competition is what we need.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily - what we need is a new formation. The current 4-4-2 with the current squad is not working. A 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 (Bobby being number 1 obviously) would suit better.

I do hope Jol isn't going to be one of those managers who sticks to his favoured formation whatever. And especially hope that he is prepared to change tactics/formation during a game if he see's that things aren't working.