1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Snodgrass

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Simon21-LUFC, May 15, 2012.

1. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Sorry optimistic crew, but my "sauce" is saying that the smart money is on Snoddy not signing a new deal and possibly moving on this summer. Clearly not done and dusted but it's not looking good.

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Not terribly bothered whether he stays or go. Good player but certainly not irreplaceable. Would probably prefer him to stay but not at any cost

3. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

Simon, I just read a report that said he was likely to sign. Not that I have any 'sauce' close to the club or anything though

Eire, he's not irreplaceable but for it to be worth selling him, it'd have to be a hefty transfer fee and I'd like the whole sum to be spent on a singular player rather than a full squad. Every team needs a real quality player to build around and it seems Colin wants it to be snoddy at leeds

4. 666 & Elmo

666 & Elmo New Member

Think Warnock is puttting his eggs in one basket too much - i don't think Snoddy is fast enough, he has spent the last 14 games as captain causing trouble with teammates on the pitch instead of geeing up his teammates to produce a better result (which is the role of a captain), only 20% of his crosses beat the first defender, he's been worse since being given a free role instead of being a winger, he does not impact a game like Taarabt can, and for me, he aint worth being paid top dollar.

He may be the most skilful player we have, but he does not apply it to deliver the best outcome for the team.

But it would be a clear indication of the current direction and squad morale of this club (downwards if he leaves, upwards if he stays) - alternatively, as Eire says, the money we would free up and receive by getting rid of Snoddy may lead to us having a better future if that money is allowed to be used in the way the manager wants

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Crikey, Elmo, I actually agree with you!

If you look at what Snoddy has given us to date, it would be fair to say that his performances have been patchy for a number of seasons. No idea what causes these 'down spells', but they're there for all to see (and some refuse t see it).

6. Simon21-LUFC

To replace Snoddy we'd have to spend more than our entire transfer budget on one player. He may have his off days but he's our best player, and you have to consider that everyone knows he's our best player and double up on him, and without Gradel and Howson to also occupy the defenders he struggles as any player would. Look at what happens to Barcelona when Messi gets taken out of the game.

7. Whiteyorkist

Whiteyorkist Active Member

Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas tend to chip in occasionally! there's also Villa when fit!

8. bigfatboab

bigfatboab Well-Known Member

Get in contact with Snoddy's replacement NOW: SONE ALUKO. :emoticon-0129-call:

9. Josh-LUFC

I dont think snoddy is good as a free role and I think I may have said this before when people were discussing it. He is better playing wide right but also considerably better when not relied upon which is why i don't think he is captain material, certainly our best player and definitely worth keeping. You've got to remember he does have bad spells but when he has good spells he's pretty much unstoppable in this league

10. Simon21-LUFC

Fine then, imagine Barcelona sold all those players and then Messi was marked out of every game. Probably a much closer scenario to ours.

11. Josh-LUFC

You know what, since you putting his name forward I have looked out to watch more of him (mainly youtube but watched some old scottish games I had recorded) and the guy looks absolutely unbelievably good. I reckon he is destined for the premier league. He's not a replacement for snoddy anyway, more a replacement for howson from what I saw but can play out wide as well (probably more like gradel but considerably more powerful and actually knows what he wants to do with the ball)

12. Whiteyorkist

Whiteyorkist Active Member

<ok>.

13. Whitejock

Suspect Moyes will be signing Aluko for Everton. He knows him well & likes a bargain - which he most certainly is!!

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Snoddy is our best player but agree with previous comments, he looks world class because of the shower around him and I have to also agree, we did not exactly fair well when he was made captain. I would love for him to stay but not at any cost, he is slow, at the start of last season he wasn't great and I would rather him go now, get it out of our system and watch next seasons squad take proper shape over July time without any nasty disruptions. I don't think it is about the contract and money with him, he was unhappy with the way we sold and never replaced last season the obvious lack of ambition and he clearly wants premier league football. It will be his downfall, it doesn't matter how skilful he is or thinks he is, without any kind of pace he will struggle in the PL.

15. Simon21-LUFC

Without Snodgrass we will not get promoted. Simple as. I really don't get where people think Warnock is going to pull this magical, all new, immediately gelled wonder-team from.

16. Whitejock

Warnock won't. it'll be work in progress throughout the year. I'm also inclined to think of the oft-recited adage 'no man is greater than the team. Too many of the game's greats have uttered it for it to be ignored.

17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If at the end of last season we had kept Grayson, Snoddy, Clayton and White had signed new contracts and we had continued as in the previous two seasons with Graysons transfer policy/budget we would not get promoted, it would be another mid table finish. Warnock probably won't get us promoted but he injects a little hope, we see him snap up a young CB and pop him on a longer than usual contract and we hear of other defenders he is targeting. We see him clearing out Graysons dead wood and finally 'trying' to sign a few decent defenders rather than a Mika, Pugh, Forssell or Paynter... I hope that when this time next year approaches we are a lot nearer to a promotion winning team with or without Snoddy.

18. Simon21-LUFC

Grayson tried to sign decent players aswell, Bates stopped him and he'll do the same with Warnock.

19. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

Not irreplaceable in normal circumstances, but with our history of "replacing" players... I wouldn't put much hope on us getting someone adequate.

20. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

Many overlook the idea that no club is bigger than a single player too. It's a two way street. There has to be a mutual respect. Club has forgotten that :(