1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Snow

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by AWAY IN BC, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym, cut the pipe and leave it open until the thaw.. had approx 50 calls today for them .. correct not covered under the guarantee <party><party>..

£48.00 for existing customers 65 for new ones.. Perhaps that is cheap as in your area probably double that..

Just keep warm, it will be all gone by saturday .. :eek:

2. Greenarmyjoe

My lad will be on ITV news tonight in the westcountry as he was filmed today cutting a frozen pipe and giving advice. had to do that for free.. :steam:

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll keep that in mind Joe....if it happens again.....cheers.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Yep that is alll we do Plym as then go back next week and glue it back up.. WE have tried to get everyone back on today or at least the most vulnerable but could not get to them all as had 2 vans stuck in ice so were men down,, typical. Hope fully that is that now for another few years..

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Saw that Joe. With the van behind him and the firm's name in full view for a minute. Think the publicity was worth the free interview................well spoken young man. Obviously takes after his mother.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks Joe for that easy answer....because I've had to go and do just that as it was getting dark.....twice in one day.....only thing that has changed is the 1bar pressure....has jumped up to 2.5 bar....but I cannot see how to reduce that....it will slowly reduce over time.....when it drops below 0.7 bar I open the valves to increase it before it closes the system down....cheers again Joe.....simple when you know how.....cheque in the post....:emoticon-0125-mmm:.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Yes Sensible, that was the other firm as we have two companies out their and he is running Hybrid Heat.. Its been a testing day today, but got through most, now the thaw will cause more problems. Looks like it will be a hectic weekend, have not done weekend in 10 years .. but i think we will have to this time..

Plym you can reduce it with the pressure relief valve on the boiler or a simple job will be just vent a bit of a radiator until it reduces, i reckon you should do it when the heating is cooler, as as the boiler is running the pressure will increase. We dont take cheques... cards only haha.. if i was closer i would have come out and helped you out

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

In fairness, although the snow thing has been a bit of an anti climax the roads are now properly frozen. Just skidded back from Derriford Hospital (had to take the back route as I couldn't get up the hill to the roundabout) the only bonus is there was nothing else on the road so managed to go in a relatively straight line and didn't hit anyone. Mrs lyndy on shift at 7 in the morning- could be fun, or a long walk.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

My neighbour came home yesterday evening having been away for the previous 24 hours. Parked his car on his drive and when he got out and closed the door it set off down the very slight incline into his gates which he had shut or rather his wife had. The snow on his drive wasn't snow it was a sheet of ice disguised as snow. We had the discussion about what today would bring and I advised him that the street, which hardly has much traffic on it at the best of times, would be complete ice where the few cars had turned a bit of it into slush. One or two found out today that I was right. Tomorrow isn't going to be about snow in my opinion but the ice on the roads all over the city once it freezes tonight. I hope I'm not speaking too soon but where I am the wind hasn't exactly taken off and the snow, whilst coming down a bit, isn't exactly forming drifts. Some of scenes on the news were far worse than I've seen all day here.

10. Greenarmyjoe

well i agree it will be ice not snow, i have 2 jobs in taunton and 3 in Exeter tomorrow morning.. i doubt we will get or attempt them. Some of them struggled to get to work today as they could not get the vans up the hills.

I thought the snow would have been worse. I dont mind the freezing up but not the snow..

Keep safe everyone.. and warm.. <ale><ale>

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

At the moment Halden Hill is closed in both directions according to the news. I think the term impassible is being used. It's a bit of a long way up and then down the other side so no surprises there really. Think Taunton and Exeter might be a non starter unless something gives in the meantime.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just put the dustbins etc out....we're at the start of their round, so need to be out by 7am....although I would be gobsmacked if they come on time today.
    Popped into the greenhouse....we've got a few plants wintering in there.....temperature was smack on 32F.....so thing are improving....highest it's been in there this week.
    Haven't seen a postman for days....surely would have been at least some junk mail to deliver......posted a letter yesterday, the post box still had Wednesday's disc displaying....but of course it ain't the Royal Post Office anymore is it...no smart uniforms anymore either....scruffy gits displaying their manhood by wearing shorts twelve months of the year......and were is the Post Office these days....stuck in the corner of W H Smiths.....Smith's open at 8.30am....Post Office at 9pm....always someone there complaining that there not opened at 8.30am......I did say to one moaner that they had been opening at 9am for probably a 100 years and might be set in their own ways by now....but my tongue in the cheek answer was lost on him.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Yes cant even get out of my place the road is shocking.. so no go any where and the phone hasnt stopped. not much we can do .. Hope everyone is safe..
    Terrible conditions all over.. soon be melting

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....and when it does Joe....think of all those burst pipes.......:rolleyes:.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Got a list full already, the team are all in tomorrow. The card machine over heated yesterday!!!! Insurances will go up next year again now i suspect

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

De-iced car at 11am and back indoors for 10 minutes.....came out and blow me had to de-ice again.
    Went to local shops....had to de-ice the car an hour later to come home.
    4pm need to take Mrs Plym to local shops to have her hair titivated....will probably have to de-ice the car to do it.
    5pm bring Mrs Plym home....yes you've guessed it, will probably need to de-ice the car first.
    BBC forecast for this area.....suggests that it might be above freezing tomorrow.
    Next week it's suggesting sunny days and a temperature between 45f and 50f.....hope they've got it right.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Home Park's Tribute Legend's Lounge shut because of major ceiling damage caused by a burst pipe.....quick Joe bit of work for you there.
    Hopes to be up and running before the next home game....no water at all over the grandstand side at the moment.....that means the ticket office and shop are closed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  18. Greenarmyjoe

Plym, no time for that as we are still out working on the pipes that have thawed, yes temperature has risen slightly.. More improvement tomorrow.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I was surveying the scene at 7.30 this morning and thought of you. However, as always, the damage to the fixtures and fittings will take a lot longer to fix than the plumbing. Main cold water feed in the upper Grandstand concourse froze then burst- easy repair. 3 hours of water between 2300 and 0200 before the ceiling tiles gave up the ghost- CCTC footage is quite entertaining. Club should be fully open Monday/Tuesday with the water damage fixed well in time for the Bristol rovers match.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Outside my house it has been melting all day and now there is not a lot left. The road started as a sheet of ice and then became a slushy mess followed by more melt over the day. By the time this afternoon arrived a lot of it had gone and the road was just wet. My shed roof was also quickly cleared. By tomorrow lunchtime my guess is there will be hardly a sign of snow anywhere around here. The next thing is no doubt a few floods because the ground was saturated before the snow arrived so the melt has nowhere to soak in. Many many gallons of water all in one place and at the same time is a recipe for another disaster. Part of the melt process will be the rain that falls as well and thus increasing the chances. Lets just hope it all bucks up now because I have to say I am royally pee'd off with this winter now.

My son was lucky. Lost his water supply but did the right thing and turned the water off. Only for a day and has it back now with no leaks anywhere. Phew. There are 5 of them in his house so you do not want no toilet flushing for days on end. I haven't been outside the front door apart from one trip to the shed in 3 days. Shed is about 15 yards from the front door. Think I might just give it a go tomorrow. Have to sort the finances out as it's a new month.