1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So long Arsene, thanks for the memories

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by winifred122, Apr 20, 2018.

1. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Most of us accepted that you needed to step aside. A lot of us wanted desperately to see you go ages ago. As an Arsenal fan of over fifty years I am grateful for all you have done for this club. I hope that the club chooses your successor wisely and I hope you have a splendid retirement.

2. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

As a Wenger conservative, all I can say is the club stood by him as long as they could, and certainly long enough to make his leaving not disrespectful, in regard to what he has done for our club. Perhaps they erred too much on respect and let him stay a season longer than he should have, but if we win the Europa league we will not have too much to complain about.

Even the die-hard Wengerites are not going to complain too much about this. Maybe even he decided it was time to leave. I'm going to miss the guy to be honest. I think we might remember a few of his traits that we take for granted now, more fondly in a few years time.

3. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Am I the only one at this moment that wants to think about a replacement more than reminisce over Wengers past?

Yes he did this and that and whatnot, but we haven’t challenged for the title properly since 2008.

He hasn’t signed a Patrick vieira replacement since 2005

We lost 8-2 to man united 7 years ago...

Honestly this should have happened 4 or 5 years ago. He is lucky to have stayed this long; no doubt he was ‘pushed’ and it wasn’t his own decision. Good luck to him, as for me I’m looking toward the future. Haven’t been this revitalized in 10 years or so.

4. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

The king is dead-long live the king

afcftw and gooner4ever like this.
  5. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Yes the future starts next season so let’s get behind the team, see how the EL semi goes, and cheer and clap and give thanks to Arsene Wenger for his past.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

However, it is my understanding Wenger was actually closer to walking away towards the end of last season than we knew at the time. Confidants had urged him to leave on a high after the FA Cup win against Chelsea in May.

At that time, Arsenal did not have a firm plan in place to succeed him. They were not particularly well set up to start a recruitment process. Wenger knew as much and a part of him sensed - rightly or wrongly - that going then could have left them in the lurch, that he had something of an obligation to carry on and have one last crack a leading this team to success.

Ornstein

gooner4ever likes this.
  7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Loyal to the very end - the man is pure class.

8. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I believe that.

And it’s also so typical our board did not have plans in place for when he left. He was always going to be out of contract last summer.

afcftw likes this.