1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So, the sister botherers finally win a game...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

And decide this is the perfect time to sack their manager, pmsl, typical Norfolk logic<laugh>

Redruth likes this.
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

…..just as Colin becomes available!!

Redruth and Spanish like this.
  3. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Couldn’t give a farke…I’ll get me coat.

not sure what they expected though; they don’t spend big, they’ve sold some good players and the pl is 10 leagues higher than the championship according to uefas convoluted rating system. So the same players are bound to struggle.

what’s so weird is Dean Smith. They sell they’re stand out player who they built the side around, struggle and then sack him. Who are they getting in who’s better?

I liked both farke and smith in their interviews. Genuine and real football men. They’ll be fine.

hopefully Norwich implode but they are run very well and are profitable.

itfcptc and Redruth like this.
  4. Bigalreigned

Apparently he was told to Farke off!

5. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

They are well run but if they wouldn't have been promoted last season I heard that they'd have been in about £30million of debt. For me that doesn't necessarily say they aren't a well run club but there is hugh inequality between the PL and the Football League which doesn't benefit anyone

6. Bigalreigned

Someone on their board recently asked about the possibility of getting Lambert back…….they appeared to be serious :emoticon-0140-rofl:

7. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Tbh I'd prefer Lambert to being " Frank Lampard's Norwich." Both our clubs are in the wrong division, we are natural Championship level. They sacked Farke after taking five points from our last five games. Had we not started with Liverpool, Man City, Leicester, Arsenal I don't think we would ge in this mess. Could few worse though, we could be Boris!

Nuggets, Buckyohare and Redruth like this.
  8. Bigalreigned

Having been through the trauma of “Roy Keane’s Ipswich” I think you probably dodged a bullet there!

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

And there’s the Norwich mentality that permeates the club and the reason why you’ve never won anything. Nobody at Ipswich will be content with Championship football.

10. Bigalreigned

I would be for next Season………

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

No ****.

12. Buckyohare

So even more weirdly Norwich took smith. Villa could go a lot worse than taking Farke! If it didn’t look so daft doing a sacked manager swap he’d be just the type of progressive continental manager they might like.

13. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I have said on our site it's a sideways move. For either of our clubs to think in terms of being established in The Premiership is frankly delusional. When we played Chelsea their top wage player earned more than our starting eleven combined. And probably the rest of our staff too.I Like your manager. A no nonsense Scouser. Good luck for the rest of the season.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

George Burley didn’t believe that. Leicester didn’t believe that. They even came within touching distance of winning the Champions League. David Moyes doesn’t believe that. Even Wigan won the Cup!

As long as you all believe that, Norwich will never achieve anything. Probably the reason Frank Lampard decided not to come on board.

15. Buckyohare

Agreed. But smith is decent and will keep you competitive as promotion candidates in the championship. I’d prefer we were both in top division; it’s the best derby going!

I can’t see that pure ambition to compete in PL is enough. The bottom line is money. apart from Leicester, every pl champion was in the top 5 highest payers and often the top 3.

Leicester was a freak. Even they thought they’d do well to survive. 5000-1 favourites for the title. Come on that’s hardly an example of a team that thought big and did big. It’s the greatest upset in sporting history. The opposition all contrived to do poorly and Leicester didn’t even know they had such good players until Ranieri stumbled on Kante. He didn’t play the first quarter of the season! And in any event, they had and have big money behind them, big new stadium etc. They were our size but not anymore.

as for us and Burley, I loved the growth of our team that culminated in promotion and that 5th finish. But once we’d lost some key players and our tactics were no longer a surprise we imploded. Our relegation still wrankles with me. Dismal failure to adjust to the reality of our situation and produce a team that could stay up and sustain itself at that level. For all the vision of the board and management by Burley in getting us up they lost the plot badly and we ended up in administration and it’s been a long road to where we are now. Norwich have faired better.

what can we do? Honestly I don’t know. The sheer cost of pl survival and the risk entailed is something only people with limitless money like oligarchs and sheikhs can contemplate. It’s made the game very distorted unfortunately and increasingly a closed shop. Going up to the PL just fills me with dread for the season ahead without huge amounts of money. As in billions and billions.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It has always been dominated by a few clubs with the occasional title from outside. Those dominating clubs gradually shift and they will continue to do so. The size of transfer fees is completely irrelevant. There’s a finite pool of top players and they will always go to the dominating clubs of the time.

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Interesting debate. ITFC competed well as we all know at the highest level, with a great family and County behind us, with amazing talented managers who were inspired to cut their teeth at Ipswich, and blessed with several legendary players, all made us a Club well known and respected around the frigging world!

I was lucky to have witnessed that extraordinary era. But can we, do we want to try to compete at PL level again, with all the strugglrs that mean?

Part of me says tbh, exciting Championship is our level, for size of our club now. Very few of our new players would thrive. PC wouldnt either in my book.

So, for 30 yrs or more, I have been hoping that a major PL & League restructure would come into play which would cap most financial aspects, distribute fairly to all down to grassroots and bring a fair, just, level playing field for the Mighty and the Minnnows.

Will it happen? Not until the system is broke, or the poor paying punter is broke!

Buckyohare and Redruth like this.