1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So who do we want next ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Nov 29, 2019.

?

Who do we want as Arsenal manager

1. Ancelotti

12.5%
  2. Allegri

20.8%
  3. Nuno

8.3%
  4. Pochettino

16.7%
  5. Benitez

12.5%
  6. Ten Hag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Eddie Howe

12.5%
  8. Rodgers

8.3%
  9. Vieira

4.2%
  10. Arteta

4.2%
  1. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Regardless of who the next manager is, it’s going to take an awful lot of money spent to get this club where we want it to be.

I hope the board understand this.

2. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Emery had clearly lost the dressing room and there was a toxic atmosphere from the fans towards him. He had to go. I don't know if anyone has been interviewed yet but I hope the board are not going to panic in the search for his replacement

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Sounds funny but I dont think the squad is bad at all I think TWO CB's plus Saliba and a Top class CM would do it.

There's an argument for a replacment for Ozil also. Get him off the books.

Forwards we are full of talent - Fullbacks and Goalkeeper decent.

Lots of youth as well Willock, Martinelli, Guendouzi, Tierney, Saka, Torreira etc..

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who would buy him, though? He can't go to China now.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. TheBear

--------------------------Leno---------------------------
    Bellerin---Upamecano----Saliba--------Tierney
    ------------------------Torreira-------------------------
    ---------KaiHaverts-----------Guendouzi----------
    ----Pepe----------Aubameyang------Martinelli---

Bench: , Martinez, Holding, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Willock, Ozil, Lacazette.

That's just two signings: replace Ozil and bring in another right back to really strengthen.
    The squad is decent - there are some obvious holes but we need coaching staff and a manager with a clear direction first and foremost.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Only 18 months left on Ozil contact anyway. Could just see who'll take him for no transfer fee? PSG are mugs and might take the bait.

But also agree the talk of our squad being ****e is way wide of the mark. Stick VVD in our defence and put a proper manager in charge and we'd be top four easily. Stick VVD and Koulibaly in there and we'd be challenging.

TheBear likes this.
  7. white_gunner

I was also thinking about this <laugh><laugh>.

The only place we could have ditched him, and he's probably banned from that country now.

8. white_gunner

I think our midfield is a massive problem too. I cant remember ever seeing an arsenal midfield look more disjointed when linking up with our defense / attack.

But I guess a proper manager would at least give us an identity again; currently the squad look not only like they dont know what theyre doing, but also that they dont know what they need to be doing either.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe his mate Erdogan will buy him? Basaksehir are government funded. He can join Clichy and Rapey Robinho.

PINKIE likes this.
  10. TheBear

I think one of the rich Turkish clubs are a big possibility for sure. Also MLS. I wouldnt rule Bayern out either.

But ultimately Ozil is soo talented - he's one of those players alot of managers would be attracted to mainly because of thinking they could be the ones to get him playing back like his old self.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    PleaseNotPoll likes this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He's been invited to China, presumably so that some Party official can show him how he was duped by 'fake news'. <doh>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

This is pie in the sky stuff. Seriously.

Upamecano and Saliba both look like huge prospects but they are currently just that - prospects. Far more famous young talent has moved to these shores only to flop in the PL or take years and years to settle.
    Bellerin and Tierney are too injury prone.
    Kai Havertz? See Upamecano and Saliba above.
    Pepe? Yeah maybe one day.
    Martinelli? Yeah maybe one day.

So if all of the above 'ifs' work out, and you bring in a manager who can coach all of the above 'ifs' into maybes and definites, then yes - you'd be challenging. But not for the title. Hate to break it to you but that team - even if all the 'ifs' work out - still isn't as good as Pool or City on paper. And that bench is ****e.

13. TheBear

What's the problem with that? I'm not claiming we would immediately win the league or anything. I'm just stating only two players to make a very decent side. I think this is the exact opposite to 'pie in the sky stuff'.

Saliba has looked immence in France. He's super young and will still make mistakes for sure - but he's a talent.
    Upamacano has been the best defender in Germany over the last two Seasons. I think we will sign him
    Pepe is 24. With a good coach he will deliver. He's Top class.

Kai Havertz may never even be a target - just the kind of player I think we need.

Martinelli is already doing it. 8 goals in 8 apps - just 18. He's keeping Lacazette out of the side. When the Frenchman hits some form again i'm sure Martinelli may go back to the bench. Still an exciting prospect to have.

This is in contrast to the Talksport/Paul Merson narrative.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  14. TheBear

The more I think about it, the more Arteta seems like a good idea.

1. We have a Director a football. Therefore anyone we bring in is actually a 'head coach' and not a manager and will have to answer to the Director of Football.
    2. Do you think an Allegri/Guardiola type name would be happy with such a role after having big control at previous Clubs?
    3. Essentially his role at Arsenal would just be one step above what he is currently doing at City.
    4. We know Raul/Edu etc.. control the scouting and signing of players - this just leaves tactical decisions, training sessions and media obligations to Arteta.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

We need a linchpin midfielder. Xhaka and Torreira are not this. We need quite a lot IMO. Bellerin for me is not good enough. We need a start RB. Tierney needs a proper season. Chambers is not good enough. Sokratis and Luiz should be gotten rid of (Maybe keep Sokratis as a backup option to support the young lads). Get a top class CB (pacy and powerful) to compete alongside Saliba and Holding. Xhaka has to go. We need a top class MF. We will lose one or both of Laca and Auba. Replacements will be needed.

Whoever takes the job, we will need to be patient with. Especially if we getting an Arteta who will be coming with fresh ideas and philosophy. We will have to give him time. This season is a write off as far as I am concerned.

white_gunner likes this.
  16. TheBear

I think Bellerin is excellent.
    He was out for a LONG time and then in and out of the side. He just needs a run of games IMO.

All of our fullbacks under-performed under Emery for some reason.