1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So Who Wants To Manage Sunderland? ............ No One!

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Didley Squat, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Looks like no one wants to manage Sunderland, which is fair enough when you consider why dent your resume.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rial-job-Sam-Allardyce-Sean-Dyche-say-no.html
    I was thinking Warnock but I'm thinking he last stated that retirement was his only choice from now on.
    Di Canio ????? Stranger things have happen.
    Sunderland will be desperate to stay up.

Thinking I'd rather go to Sunderland than Newcastle ............... the fans just don't give anyone a chance in hell.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Bit of a poisoned chalice so it would have to be a manager out of work I think. I don't buy the argument that their team is crap- certainly no worse on paper than half a dozen other teams.

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Warnock was on Talksport this morning. Mrs Warnock doesn't like Sunderland...:grin:

4. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Great to see that the newly promoted sides are nailing Sunderland, Newcastle and Villa to the bottom of the League table (though I'm a little bitter that we didn't do that to them last year).

NorwayRanger and Didley Squat like this.
  5. Sooperhoop

Could be three massive clubs joining Leeds in purdah next season...

6. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0100-smile We can only hope...

7. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Only a little bitter? I feel so sad when I see other clubs with much less resources but better run and doing what I thought we were going to do. Just leaves you shaking your head in bewilderment. We had THREE chances!

8. aqualung

aqualung Well-Known Member

With possibly Middlesboro going the other way, that would be the cherry on the cake.:cheesy:

9. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

On the radio this morning they mentioned former US manager Bob Bradley, good job they mentioned former US manager, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue who he is. If it happens I can see that appointment going well!!! ;)

10. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

One would expect such a managerial appointment ......................... no one local with any clue or knowledge would consider it, you would think.
    I thought Redknapp may go for it but even he was quoted as say, 'you'd have to be bonkers!'
    Just goes to show what a tough gig it would be, well, either that or there not offering enough coin.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

11. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Bob Bradley is an excellent manager/coach, much better than the ones who have already turned Sunderland down. I would take him to Loftus Road in a heartbeat.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  12. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Based on what? Jobs in America? His 2 years in Egypt, or his time in Norway? Not saying he is certain to fail and people need a chance, just pointing out that he would be a very risky appointment due to the quality of players he has had to deal with and the standard of leagues he has worked in. Sunderland are in a **** your pants situation with the Championship looming and the financial implications that brings and their next appointment could help shape their future one way or the other!

13. NorwayRanger

Yes his jobs in America and with their national team. Don't know about his time in Africa so can't comment. But also by his time in Norway. Yes the level isn't the greatest, even though Norwegians side in Europe and the national side are vastly improving at the moment. He's strong tactically, very good at player recruitment and seems a very good coach judging by the improvement of personel at his current club. He's taken a team who lost several of their best players and who were tipped for relegation to fighting for the title.
    He's also an adviser for Fenway Sports group who owns Liverpool and knew before the Merseyside derby this weekend the Rodgers was a goner, hinting that not even a good result would save him from the sack. If he didn't know his business they would never trust him with advising them.

Would take him ahead of the usual dross mooted by the media. For me it's very hard to understand that the Moyes, Allardyce, Dyche etc. is considered "better" than someone with Bradley's qualities. With the exception of maybe Dyche they're all dinosaurs and should never get a job at the top level again.

TimPR78 likes this.
  14. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Not saying he would be no good for the 'Cats' but the last manager with Norwegian Club experience, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, was a disaster, and he was heavily touted for a managerial role in England long before Cardiff came along. If his current American appointment is of a higher level then maybe he could cut it, though I would have my reservations.

15. NorwayRanger

No arguements there. If Bob Bradley were Norwegian I wouldn't recomend him either :emoticon-0100-smile
    Solskjær tried to change to much to soon and he walked into a club with mad owners, doomed to fail from the start. Henning Berg the same, took over Blackburn when no one else wanted to, another set of crazy owners. And back in the nineties Egil "Drillo" Olsen relegated Wimbledon, with a set of naive Norwegian owners, not mad just poor (not money vise). Think there is something in the mentality with Norwegians that doesn't make them suited to the English way of managing. Just my opinion.

16. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about Henning Berg, I guess most Blackburn fans have too by now <laugh>
    I know nothing of the other one - who is/was he?

17. Sooperhoop

The only reason Redcrapp thinks it's bonkers is because it's too far from Sandbanks!...

Didley Squat likes this.
  18. NorwayRanger

Egil Olsen, where to start? To do what he did with the Norwegian national team in the nineties is nothing short of sensational. Being the main reason why England failed to reach the World Cup in 1994 (drawing at Wembley and winning in Oslo, and did the same to Holland). Doing it by going against the tide and developing his own style to win against more established sides and better players. His style was extremely effective back then, today there is ways of dealing with it. It wasn't back then. He even managed to beat Brazil in a World Cup, beating them in France '98 to progress from the group stages.

The rest is from Wikipedia, a good description.

"He managed the Norwegian team from 1990 to 1998, guiding them to World Cup final tournaments in 1994 and 1998, with Norway peaking at number two on the FIFA ranking.

In June 1999, the then 57-year-old Olsen made his appearance in English football, when he was named as manager of Wimbledon. He reportedly turned down an approach from Celtic to take charge of the London club, becoming the first Norwegian to manage in the Premier League. Olsen has stated that his favorite player at the club was Welsh international Ben Thatcher. He remained in charge for less than a year, and was sacked just before the club was relegated from the Premier League, having been top division members since 1986. Club captain Robbie Earle said that "Olsen just didn't know how to get the best out of us".

Football philosophy
    Olsen has sometimes been called a "football professor" for his scientific approach to the game, and was arguably one of the first managers to use video analysis of matches. He has collected statistical data to find out which playing styles are the most efficient. As Norway manager, he argued that as Norway didn't have the players to beat the best teams, they needed a smarter playing style than them, and one that fit Norway's skills. Ironically, his preferred style of football has historically often been called primitive.

He has found that breakaways played an important role immediately prior to many goals, and that counter-attacks after breakaways should be carried out as fast and directly as possible before the opponent can organise their defense. According to Olsen, only few goals are scored against what he calls an "established defense".

As a large number of transverse passes or trying to play out an established defense with short passes and combinations increases the chance of a breakdown against, often in dangerous positions, his strategy was to make long passes against an established defense when no direct path forwards could be found.

More precisely, defenders should in these cases play high, long passes towards attackers or flank players. His use of a player with good heading abilities as a target man on the flank, such as Jostein Flo, was a major break with the established idea that all flank players should be small, quick and good dribblers."

19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Drillo was and is a genius. Who else could tell you the name of the 4th highest mountain in Ubekistan quicker than you can say Vimbledon

NorwayRanger likes this.
  20. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

He also got Stabekk promoted with no money. He's a good Manager. But so too is Solkjaer in the right place.