1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Social Media and footballers

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Jul 25, 2021.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I was reading about Gini having a moan.

Georginio Wijnaldum has said social media abuse was behind his decision to leave Liverpool, explaining he "didn't feel love" from a section of the club's support.

Wijnaldum -- who signed for Paris Saint-Germain after leaving on a free transfer -- joined Liverpool in 2016 from Newcastle United.

He made more than 200 appearances while lifting the Premier League and Champions League titles before leaving at the end of last season.

Wijnaldum told The Times: "Every day in training and in the game I gave everything.

"Liverpool meant so much to me. There was some moment when I didn't feel love and appreciated there.

"Not by my teammates, not the people at Melwood (Liverpool's training ground). I know they all loved me and I loved them. It was not from that side, more from the other side."

He added: "There was a moment when I didn't feel loved. In the last two seasons, I had it a few times.

"The fans in the stadium and the fans in social media were two different things," he said. "In the stadium, I can say nothing bad about them. They always supported me.

"On social media if we lost I was the one who got the blame — (claiming) that I wanted to leave. There was a moment when I was like, 'Wow, if they only knew what I was doing to stay fit and play every game'."

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The guy did really well for us, always fit (pay attention Naby) good on the ball, worked hard off the ball. I've thought he was brilliant in some games and thought him a passenger on occasion and deserving of criticism at times.

Singling out a group of fans is silly of him there are many good fans on social media who will not like his comments. End of the day delete your account if you don't like what you're reading.

I'd go as far as to say footballers should not use social media due to the proven adverse effects on mental and physical health it has.

3. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

1. It's a bit bullshit. Fans loved him.
    2. Why go on social media, maybe some players will come across us and get upset with how negative you pricks are

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

They did love him in general but sometimes he didn't play well and he got stick, such is life. Put your phone down if you don't like it.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

He is looking for an excuse to take big money.

Every single lfc player gets it in the neck from social media.

Henderson. That's all I need to say probably.

Firmino gets it.

Mane gets it when he misses

Nat phillips gets told he is **** every day of his life!

Keita must get savage abuse.

Sturridge must have got it.

Sterling gets it daily for how he left.

But this is not a liverpool phenomenon. Every team has players who get abuse.

Wijnaldum needs to just admit he thought this 2 years ago after winning the cl! He wanted to go then.

RogerisontheHunt likes this.
  6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Maybe you should stop...<whistle>

luvgonzo likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

Batard!!

I'm his greatest fan.

I #calledit for him all season long and klopp wouldnt play him

8. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Gini loves his social media accounts.

Constantly posting pre game play lists and all kinds, one of the most active players on the platform imho.

Now he wants to have a sly dig from across the pond for something pretty much every player from every club gets on those platforms after games.

Lil fukin cry baby, come off the thing if you cant take it.

luvgonzo likes this.
  9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Said this in another thread. He didn’t say he left because of the fans. He just mentions as an observation of his time.

And even then, surely the focus should be on the abuser and not on the victim?

Did people tell sancho, saka and rashford to quit social media because of racial abuse? No, because I suppose racism is the ‘flavour of the month’ so it’s cool to pretend to be against it and condemn the abusers.

But when people are abused for anything else, that’s deemed acceptable and the onus is on the victim to quit social media.

BobbyD and Zanjinho like this.
  10. Sucky

I feel like his comments were unnecessary tbh.

What does he gain from moaning about social media trolls apart from tainting the relationship he had with the fans who backed him.

Like i said unnecessary imo

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

but he’s clearly praising the true fans while criticising the small minority of idiots. They should be called out.

Zanjinho and Sucky like this.
  12. Sucky

Yeh i get that, but i still think just stfu and move on.

If he thinks itll be any different with psg fans then take a look at the sign they made when they heard pogba might be a target <laugh>

13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think they should quit social media sites where abuse is rife and not dealt with by the site owners. Are these sites so important that you have to go there and would leaving cause a ripple affect of a lot of other celebrities leaving and therefore actually hurt these sites and force them to act?

I don't feel his comments come across well as people go on there and will question and criticise and that's acceptable and not abuse, he didn't actually mention abuse is just implies in time article and if it's just comments and that's just fans getting involved, if he didn't like it he could leave.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

I personally think its sad not one solitary social media site has offered the type of controls to attract these players and celebs as I'm sure they could rapidly grow and frighten the pants off Zuckerberg

It is in the end Zuckerberg who owns most of this issue and propagates most of it "for free speech"

luvgonzo likes this.
  15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He's highlighting that it's an issue (not just at Liverpool but that's his experience)

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Not sure about quitting but it's one way or the other. You'll never stop dickheads on social media so either hio on there knowing it'll happen or stay away. Not ideal but unfortunately it'll never be any other way

luvgonzo likes this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Carra's respsone to the Gini story.

"Social media is a circus and every club has clowns.

"Turn off your notifications and if it’s bothering you that much delete the app! He wanted more money the club said no, that’s football!
    "

Yep, pretty much sums it up for me.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Carra would know about demanding more money.

He got 90k a week for 2 years when he wasn't worth half that for one year.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think the club said no is relevant in his comment.

Zanjinho likes this.
  20. moreinjuredthanowen

Yeah.

luvgonzo likes this.