1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Social Media and footballers

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

The same Carra who spat on a fan because he was being hounded? He can hardly talk.

And Gini never said he left LFC because of the abuse on social media. Plus - who says he can't handle it? Just because you raise something in the public eye doesn't mean you can't handle it. These things should get more attention.

If we had the same attitude to all abuse, should black people and minorities stay off twitter because of the racial abuse they receive?

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think there's a big difference here from what I'm reading he didn't like some Liverpool fans on digital media criticising him and that's not the same as the racial abuse that goes on.

Zanjinho, THE FOOL and johnsonsbaby like this.
  3. Jimmy Squarefoot

But it's the same principle. Why should you keep quiet if you're abused? If everyone had the same mindset that you should keep quiet and carry on with your job, then we wouldn't be getting the same level of media attention when it comes to racism .

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I don't think it's the same but I get your overall point. I actually think people should leave though it'll affect these sites a lot and maybe force them to do something. It's not right that they have to do that but it's worth trying imo.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

I'm not saying that 'you're **** at football' is the same as racist abuse but the principle is the same. People should be called out more.

That's the fundamental issue and people being forced off social media is just allowing the abusers to win. If this was attitude throughout all of history, we would still have sections on buses / toilets specifically for minorities...

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm just looking at it differently, people shouldn't be forced off social media I agree but a mass exodus may cause the sites to deal with the problem.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  7. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Also Gini never actually says he got abuse.

he said he got comments saying he didn’t want to be here and he didn’t feel loved or appreciated. That’s very very different from being abused.

He got blamed if we lost. Now, some of those times it may have been deserved if he played badly.

now I’m not naive enough to think some of those comments were horrible and abusive, but it’s not what he’s said. Which goes back to the fact that surely he shouldn’t be naive enough to think that if you’ve been offered a new contract, turned it down then the fans are right to think you don’t want to be here anymore. If that’s the case then you have to expect some disappointed from the fan base and you are likely to get more slack if you have a bad game as it looks like you’re putting less effort in as you’re not bothered.

I don’t think he did, I think he was professional to the end, but he’s an easy scapegoat when things go bad

8. moreinjuredthanowen

its a nonsense excuse. you turn down a contact to get more money not cos you are slightly aggrieved at not being loved enough.

The simple solution here would be to turn us down and go the PSV Einthoven and play out his final years as a super hero to the fans there.

He didn't, he doubled/trebled his money to go to PSG. The mercenary central club desperate to win the CL.

It simply doesn't add up as any sort of prime reason to move clubs and actually flies in the face of the evidence on offer.

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Strange - Jamie condemns idiots who targeted Jordan Pickford but not the ones who went for Gini? ...

please log in to view this image

10. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

While I understand exactly what you're saying, I don't think the principle is the same at all.

Racial abuse in any form is wrong whether written, spoken, done anonymously like on social media or face to face. For other forms of verbal and written abuse, while I don't condone it and hate seeing it, if we are in favour of a society that values free speech then that comes with the right to offend (not gratuitous abuse or threats).

To be clear - nobody should be racially abusing anybody anywhere but everyone has the right to express their opinions and tell a footballer, for example, that they are rubbish.

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Fair points - but on one hand, we want footballers to engage with fans but then we expect them to put with abuse? And you're making it sounds like these so called fans are giving Gini constructive criticism lol. I've seen the comments - not just for Gini - but for other footballers. It's horrible, it's abusive and it's offensive.

It doesn't sit right with me. People saying Gini should just put up with it - but then he responds back and the same people aren't just putting up with it, they're responding back lol. It's hypocritical.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

this is the same as any celebrity.

We need to separate personal social media for self publicity with interactions on LFC platforms.

Celebrities round the glob get the same abuse and worse off these trolls.

If you think he will get less having trebled his wage and moved to a mercenary oil club ok but IMo he's more likely to be the scapegoat for those fans than he is at anfield. If they lose again in the CL and in the league (unlikely) these fans will be savage.

look at the abuse coutinho took at his "dream club" they were all begging him to come and fawning over him and turned after 2 games.

13. johnsonsbaby

I believe in free speech. Like you, I don't like seeing abusive comments directed at anyone but imo as long as comments aren't racist, sexist, homophobic, anti semitic/ Muslim etc. nor do they threaten violence, then people can say what they like. You can't believe in free speech and then say (other than threats, racism etc) that people can't be offensive. Nobody wants to be offended but everyone has the right to be as offensive as they like.

Diego likes this.
  14. Jimmy Squarefoot

So why are people crying about Gini calling out these idiots on social media? It's his opinion yet fans on here think it's the wrong thing to do.

15. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

Worst thing is how the original report has been twisted to suit a click bait agenda. What I read was clear. Gini wanted a deal, klopp was okay but the issue is the management side of the club.
    He then raised issues with social media abuse but this was twisted to look as the main reason he left. Wish him all the best and happy for him to get a last paycheck for retirement

16. johnsonsbaby

I don't know mate. Unfortunately if you use social media you have to take the rough with the smooth. I wish there was a way to weed out the vile individuals, then let everyone else who chooses to spend their time on there, have at it.