1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Social Media Boycott

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by The Omega Man, Apr 27, 2021.

1. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

The OSC will be joining our football family this coming weekend (from 3pm on Friday 30 April to 11.59pm on Monday 3 May) in boycotting social media to protest at the continued abuse and racism aimed at players.

I hope that it is the only time such action is ever taken.

We have abuse on here, I am an online abuser at times, but racism, hardly ever appears here.

Those that hide behind the keyboard and promote hatred. have to be brought to account.

I saddens me that there is a need to do this.

Will it change anything? It might, for a day or a week, but then it will creep back in.

2. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

"I hope that it is the only time such action is ever taken."

So do I, because such action is a load of bollox. All it does is punish / inconvenience everyone. The boycott will change nothing.

These are deep societal problems, especially abuse, that extend far beyond SM. Boycotting SM for a day or two won't make a jot of difference. Just like taking the knee; it's pathetic.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It also ignores all the other forms of abuse that go on. Those that do it, won't give a ****. It's just virtue signalling. I resent the fact that football seems to be the focus for these political campaigns, when as you say, if there is a problem, it's in the wider society. Football is a meritocracy, pure and simple.

4. The Omega Man

It is an organic reaction though and not a corporate type of tick box thing.
    As an organisation, the effect of this boycott means that we have to rethink everything we have planned.

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

In what way is it 'organic'? I know some clubs did it for specific issues, but I thought it had been initiated by one of the movements involved and the FA?

It's a broad brush that tars many, rather than tackling the few idiots, that won't care anyway or actually facing up to the wider issues in society, which tend to be socieconomic rather than racial.

6. The Omega Man

Rick Parry

"
    Speaking about the activity, which is scheduled to take place across a full fixture programme in the men’s and women’s professional game, Parry said: "I think it's extraordinarily important that we come together to send a really strong message to social media companies and, more importantly, people who use social media.

"We've actually seen the way people have come together over the Super League and there's no reason they shouldn't come together for what is a really good cause. The message is that we've had enough of the abuse, there's been too much of it and it needs to stop.

"Enough is enough, and this alone isn't going to stop it. We hope it sends a really strong reminder, because football is massive within social media. Social media is massive for us as well and we want to work responsibly; there's been a lot of talk and correspondence but this is about action.

"I think it's important that others join us: that celebrities, fans, the media and journalists will come on board, as well as other sports. This is something that impacts all of us and the more that join in, the better."

Asked how the boycott came to be, Parry added: "It was first raised at a Championship club meeting by Brentford. Then, Swansea said 'we're doing it already and have been talking with our players' and Birmingham said they were already doing it, which is great.

"Every journey starts with a single step, and all Clubs came on board and said 'wouldn't it be great if we can all move forwards together' and even better if we can get all of the football family. The Premier League and FA have been really supportive and, in the wake of this week when people have come together for a different reason, it's another great opportunity to use that togetherness and sense of purpose.

"The opposite of doing nothing is doing something in football. We've been writing and talking and there's been a lot of thought going on, but this is action, because we need to get the message out and reinforce to people that this [online abuse] is just not acceptable. We don't accept it."

7. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Last year when the celebrity girl killed herself it was “be kind,” lasted all of 5 minutes.
    Until social media becomes proove who you are, which will never happen as it would just kill it, also people putting up their ID & expecting it to be protected. People would still find ways round it, by stealing identities.
    No unfortunately, the online idiots are here to stay, no matter what people try to do.

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Which is pretty much what I said. The existing campaign used those small examples to magnify it and tar football with the usual brush, which misses the target pretty much completely.

Football lost a lot due to us all being tarred as hooligans, and sanctions imposed across the board. Tarring football as racist will kill it further.

Evington likes this.
  9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I also think it's probably a waste of time, but I've no issue with them doing it and I think this is more aimed at the social media companies than it is at any individual racists.

They have a fundamental issue with controlling content, their algorithms regularly remove completely innocuous posts, while it takes them forever to act on extreme content, as it's controlled by machines, not people.

10. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

There is a large human element in the controls on twatter and facebook, but if that's the target, they should make that clear in the campaign, because as it's presented, most people will continue to incorrectly assume it's all a football issue.

Evington likes this.

11. The Omega Man

Ah, my view is that a club and its players decided to do something and others joined in, forcing more to join. We as a supporters group have not been contacted or asked by anyone to support the boycott, we simply just feel that we cannot stand apart from the football community.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I'd say that joining it is standing apart from a reasonable element of the football community.

13. The Omega Man

Its a dilemma, damned if we do and damned if we don't.
    OLM is right, is the social media companies who need to sort this out.
    By the way, I do not like sanitised football support. At some point actions like this become meaningless.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It has long past the point of them being meaningless for the claimed goals, as they miss the target, and create even more division. It looks pretty clear that there is some other agenda going on. I'd prefer those behind it were just honest about it, and others didn't get needlessly sucked in.

In my opinion, the approach could have simply been a statement suggesting members choose to join the boycott if they wish. I have no idea how much social media activity it involves for the OSC, but I fail to see how doing nothing is proactive or supportive, especially compared to actively engaging with any abusive individuals.

As this could be described as social media, I doubt shutting down the match day threads and post match discussions would benefit the supposed cause.

Gone For A Walk likes this.
  15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

If Rick parry is involved im probably against it
    The man is a complete **** with no honour

Barchullona, Shag, DMD and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Omega Man

It might be worth pointing out that a post on this forum last week was a deciding factor in the way I looked at the boycott personally.

The reason for this thread being put up was that I personally do not agree with how football has changed off the field. Last week all of the talk was about fan power, when in reality fans only have the power not to spend and nothing else.

Ron Burguvdy and highpeak tiger like this.
  17. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Very true.

18. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

..... and there you go :emoticon-0105-wink:
    And before the boycott goes live can I just clarify that Enob is still a ****.
    Maybe the boycott could use the strapline of #stopbeencunt?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    highpeak tiger likes this.
  19. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Feels like another 'Typical City' when we win our first league title for 55 years and no fans are allowed in, no civic reception or open top bus tour is allowed and now the last lifeline of shared euphoria on social media is shut down.

20. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Is the MDT social media?
    I’m not doing any research then as a show of support but there will still be one
    Worries over boys