1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"Something for the Weekend, Sir?" 16th/17th Jan 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 13, 2021.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I thought I'd keep going with this after giving you all the Welsh National winner last week ;)

This weekend's racing sees a number of graded races in both the UK and Ireland and the ITV 4 coverage on Saturday comes from Warwick and Market Rasen. Warwick has a fine card including two Grade 2 races - the Hampton Novices Chase over 3 miles and the Leamington Novices Hurdle over 2m 5f - the Grade 3 Classic Handicap Chase over 3m 5f and a Pertemps qualifier.

Top weight in the Hampton is carried by Next Destination as he picks up a 5lbs penalty for winning the Grade 2 John Francom Novices Chase at Newbury. That form looks decent without being outstanding (the second has since finished 10 lenghts 5th in the Kauto Star Novices Chase at Kempton) but to be fair it was Next Destination's chase debut and he is entitled to come on for it. He is already being backed ante post at around 7/4. Happygolucky carries a 3lbs penalty for his Cheltenham win and is rated on 2lbs lower than Next Destination and is second best in the betting at around 3/1. Next in the betting is Fiddlerontheroof at 4/1 and, whilst the Tizzard yard remains woefully out of form, this step up to 3 miles looks to be exactly what he needs and he is no forlorn hope here. I think Next Destination could be top class though and I fancy him to take this.

The Leamington has attracted 15 entries and the betting is pretty open at the moment. Marginal favourite is Tom Lacey's Adrimel, one of several in the field who are stepping up in trip. The one I like at this early stage is not amongst that group though - Alan King's Jay Bee Why was an impressive course and distance winner in early December and at 8/1 with Paddy Power he makes plenty of appeal.

The Grade 3 Classic Handicap Chase over 3m 5f looks a typically competitive affair, as does the Pertemps Qualifier with the usual "more plots than an Agatha Chrisite novel". Who will be trying to win? Who will be looking for a tenderly ridden 4th place? Those on at fancy prices for the final will be hoping Mohaayed doesn't run - already qualified and on a mark of 141, connections would be loathe to ruin his chances by running too well here. Old boy Geordie Des Champs is worth keeping an eye on if he takes his chance.

Market Rasen's three televised races are a handicap hurdle, a conditions hurdle (where Mohaayed is also entered) and the listed mares bumper. The red hot favourite for the mares bumper is Pam Sly's pocket rocket 4 year-old Eileendover who has blitzed two fields by an aggregate of 45 lengths on the snaff and was entered in the big Cheltenham bumper on New Year's Day before its abandonment. A very exciting filly, but beware that a certain W. Mullins is targetting the race again, this year with Grangee.

Fairyhouse also has a nice card on Saturday. The opening juvenile hurdle numbers several of those towards the head of the Triumph market amongst its entries including Quilixios and Youmdor, whilst there is also a cracking Grade A Handicap Chase over 2m 1f.

Sunday sees a fairly run-of-the-mill card at Kelso but Punchestown has some great action including the Grade 2 Moscow Flyer Novices Hurdle and the Grade 3 Killiney Novices Chase - with superstar Envoi Allen entered in the latter together with the likes of Andy Dufresne and Asterion Forlonge. The Moscow Flyer has been won by Vautour, Douvan and Min and it remains to be seen whether there is anything of that calibre in this year's field. The layers seem to think not with no hot favourite in the ante post market but with plenty of unexposed horses from the big yards lining up there is every chance a superstar could emerge.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Good stuff Oddy, and interestingly you've picked one of the races where I have gone into the antepost market. The Hampton is a race that Nicholls stated as being the target for Next Destination, and given the make up of the race at entry stage I thought the 2/1 on offer was pretty good value. He was the only horse jocked up at that point, and my theory was that I was expecting a couple of these to go elsewhere. Fiddlerontheroof and If The Cap Fits are both horses I want to take on over fences, despite their lofty rankings I think both are vulnerable to horses who improve over fences.

I also expect Dickie Diver not to run here and probably Full Back too, which would mean that the race should be set up nicely for Next Destination at the prices that are available currently.

It is a relatively quiet weekend of racing, so nothing too exciting to get stuck into antepost.

OddDog likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A small contribution from Timeform

FIVE HORSES TO FOLLOW IN BRITAIN AND IRELAND THIS WEEKEND

Next Destination – Hampton Novices’ Chase, 13:50 Warwick (Saturday)

Chatham Street Lad – Dan & Joan Moore Memorial Handicap Chase, 14:15 Fairyhouse (Saturday)

Jay Bee Why – Leamington Novices’ Hurdle, 14:25 Warwick (Saturday)

Notachance – Classic Handicap Chase, 15:00 Warwick (Saturday)

Envoi Allen – Killiney Novice Chase, 13:20 Punchestown (Sunday)

Follow link above for article

Pilgrim and OddDog like this.
  4. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

He was my horse to follow for last term and never ran! I see Dickie Diver is now fave for the Ultima at the Festival but (unless the qualification process has changed) surely he needs another 2 runs prior to Cheltenham to even be qualified. They will need to get the old boy out soon if he is to meet that criteria.

5. Sir Barney Chuckles

Nice nod to Sire de Berlais who, of course, finished 4th in the Warwick qualifier and then won the Final at the Festival. Will lightening strike twice again this term?!? I'm sure there will be much interest in those finishing 4th - 6th this time around with a view to the Final in March. A race to watch and then rewatch with the old notebook, methinks. Nudge, nudge and all that...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2021
    OddDog likes this.
  6. NassauBoard

I thought it was telling that they put him in a handicap first time over fences, surely it would be silly to ruin the mark he has by running him against 150+ potential chasers in a graded race if a festival handicap was the route they wanted to go?

7. NassauBoard

Nice nod to Sire de Berlais who, of course, finished 4th in the Warwick qualifier and then won the Final at the Festival. Will lightening strike twice again this term?!? I'm sure there will be much interest in those finishing 4th - 6th this time around with a view to the Final in March. A race to watch and then rewatch with the old notebook, methinks. Nudge, nudge and all that...[/QUOTE]

The interesting one in that is Potters Corner, who will be a jumpers bumper away from completing the full set at this rate -

Cross Country
    Handicap Hurdle
    Grand National
    Jumpers Bumper

Many had presumed that the Cross Country would be his festival target before the big one, but it looks as if they want to get him qualified for the Pertemps Final. No doubt we will see him staying on into 4th or 5th here under a sympathetic ride.

8. Sir Barney Chuckles

At Warwick, on Saturday, that Grade 2 Novice Chase has cut up to just 3 runners (no Dickie Diver), The 'Pertemps Qualifier' is much more competitive with 13 ants, sorry decs. No Champagne Platinum but the above mentioned Potters Corner does go.

9. NassauBoard

2/1 about what is now a 4/6 shot in a 3 runner race is a nice position, good old Paul Nicholls scaring off the opposition again. The issue with racing is that there are so few top class horses in the UK coming through the ranks and anything rated 140+ can swerve these graded races and take in novice chases instead where they will be long odds on. It is about time we had a look at novice chases, perhaps get rid of them and just run novice handicap chases outside of those graded races?

10. OddDog

Staff Member

Geordie Des Champs left in the Pertemps too - my eye will be on that one.

Interesting thoughts re novice chases Nass - but would Lieutenant Henderson run Shishkin in a novice handicap chase giving the whole field 2 stone? Very disappointing turnout for the Hampton but good for your bet as it looks like Next Destination only needs a clear round to prevail. The Leamington is much better patronised though and Jay Bee Why still available at 15/2 <ok>

11. NassauBoard

It depends on whether they ban racecourse gallops as well!! Which in all seriousness I think they should ban those days where the cameras go.

They could put on a few listed novice chases early season for the best horses, but they need to make racing more competitive and viable, the novice chase sphere is awful because they just swerve each other all season until the festivals/big graded races.

12. OddDog

Staff Member

Nice article on Eileendover here - I hope she can become a superstar for Pam Sly <ok>

13. NassauBoard

"She won’t be going jumping and she could be really nice on the Flat."

Should be banned from racing for that

14. OddDog

Staff Member

She's probably been beating trees but you've got to love the ease with which she does it

15. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

They will have to change up the qualifying for the Pertemps race, a race designed for trainers and jockeys to not have their horses run on merit and then go hose up in the main thing. 1st two qualify and work backwards after all the races are complete to get the remainder, that way no one can be certain of a run if they finish 29 lenghts off in 5th position or 16 lenghts 3rd to a rag who was primed to win it's one and only race that day.

Eileendover has looked good but has the unfortunate handicap of being trained by Pam Sly, Grangee is a nice looking horse but he has the handicap of Nico De Boinville riding. I'd like to see Eileendover win the race personally, and I do hope Pam Sly can get more than 3 or 4 wins from the horse before a career of frustrating places and excuses about being highly handicapped.

The card is good in Ireland Sunday Oddy, I'm not sure they will all stand their ground though, not sure Envoi Allen will run, will he?

16. OddDog

Staff Member

I'd like to think he will but Elliot has obviously entered him for a couple of the big races at Fairyhouse early Feb. To be honest this would be a nice blow for him, get the cobwebs off before stepping up to a (probably) tougher assignment at the Dublin Racing Festival but, in all honesty, he'll probably stay in his box this weekend.

17. OddDog

Staff Member

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  18. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

OddDog likes this.
  19. NassauBoard

2 from 4 with the big race to come tomorrow. All eyes will be on that first race over in Ireland!!