1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

South Stand - Sit or Stand - Promise Kept. - The 'Eastend Surge'.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 23, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'After years of consultation, City made a pledge on February 19, 2020 to introduce rail/barrier seats for around 1,000 supporters in blocks S25, S26 and S27 for the start of the 2020/21 campaign, but the pandemic unfortunately delayed those plans.'

Standing room for 1000, I remember standing in there surronded by what felt like 10,000, we had the barriers and the famous 'Eastend Surge' brilliant times.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I was half way up the East End stand behind the right post of goal when looking at the pitch in the 1980s. A bloke was always there nearby on the same step smoking a pipe - we often spoke but never knew his name.
    The East End surge was amazing!!!!
    The toilet ‘cabin’ in the corner was crap though……

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If you remember that surge, it was a cracker - unbelievable, fans today have missed out, it was a City heartbeat and I miss it, it was unique.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    AshtonRed and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

We always ended up 3 or 4 steps forward. It was like being driven by a strong wave in the sea - but all good natured - no trouble.

AshtonRed and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  6. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

When we beat Liverpool toward the end of that first season in Div 1 there was 38,600 odd in the ground and the East End was amazing! For much of the match we seemed to be moving around in circles without consciously doing anything.

I know that in today's super safe environment it would be frowned upon, but it is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Redprintt, AshtonRed and wizered like this.
  7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Think the rails seats are meh really. half hearted wrong area and BS going look at us aint we good and forward thinking. my son thinks the atmosphere and fun at football got worse v the Eastend with seats he can remember and he isnt sixteen yet.

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

It was unique.
    When you see old footage of Liverpool home games, the surge from their Kop before Anfield became all seated was pretty huge and dramatic, and I dare say quite scary to be in if you were a kid.

9. bcfcredandwhite

One thing puzzles me though; how did the EAST end become the SOUTH stand? :huh:

10. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Because its at the South end of the ground. During the redevelopment design stands became North, East etc and the stand retained its name via geography and Bristol Sport referencing the South stand only.

Turn it around the name East End was created by fans who stood at the Eastern end of the end (terrace), and eventually all the end became known as the East End, although it isn't geographically.