1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Southampton F.C. Academy

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by daldridge7, May 16, 2011.

1. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

A bit tired of all the blatant lies going around in the shape of 'transfer rumours', although, admittedly, I do love the drama of the transfer window especially when it comes to Saints buying players, but I think by now its obvious that no one except for Cortese, Adkins and whoever they are dealing with have any ideas about our transfers and targets until it Publicly released. However, I was wondering what everybody thought of the current crop of Academy players. I've heard rave reviews about James Ward-Prowse who looks like he could be a bit special and I've also heard a lot about Luke Shaw who is supposedly being tracked by Arsenal if you follow the rumours. Also, Jack Stephens has been brought in with a lot of Hype but personally I didn't think he looked amazing at Plymouth and was mainly used because the lack of strength of their squad and was the only available player. What I would like to know is what anyone else think's of our Academy and of any future Stars?

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

- James Ward-Prowse, seriosuly he will be on an Alex Chamberlain level when he breaks into the 1st team
    - Luke Shaw, a good looking full back (not in looks) who is already playing for England above his age
    - Sam Hoskins, has been banging the goals in for fun this year
    - Lloyd Isgorve, has been tearing defences apart down the wings
    - Jake Sinclair, again scoring reguarly for the academey

These are who I am aware of.

3. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

What I would be worried about is the players not being able to move through the ranks and becoming stagnant. An example of this is when Andy Robinson started playing in the Under 18s a lot was expected from him in the future but at 18, although Captain of the Under 18s doesn't look in any danger of breaking through even to the fringes of the First Team and I fear the same for Lloyd Isgrove and Sam Hoskins.

4. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

How many games did you watch him play in for Plymouth?

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

This is a worry, same has happened to Callum McNish, Ryan Tafazolli etc who have had promise in their acadmey days but aren't anywhere near the 1st team

6. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

Admittedly I haven't been watching every Plymouth game before We signed Stephens because I frankly don't really care about Plymouth but I saw him whenever their highlights were on and saw bits of a few of their other games but then why would I watch that much of Plymouth when I support Southampton

7. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

Can't judge him yet then.

He looked good in his appearance on All Saints Day. He's only 17 or so. Lots of time to improve, especially for a defender.

8. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

Agreed, I am still looking forward to seeing his progression I just get the feeling from what I've read on another forum that we 'Dont need a right back we signed Jack Stephens from Plymouth and apparently he is championship quality and he is only 17' (http://www.football-rumours.com/southampton rumours/) and I personally think it would be a big step up at such an early age and I would prefer a more experienced head if we were planning on purchasing a Right Back

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

To be fair I wouldn't expect many 17 year old defenders to have a brilliant season in a relegation threatened side. He was signed for the future. Also, Harrison Reed...that is all.

10. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

Do you think there is going to be enough room for Harrison Reed and James Ward-Prowse as they are both CM if I'm Correct? Not Sure?

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Ok, we weren't relegation threatened, but Gareth Bale managed it... infact most of our attackes came from him at left back!

12. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

It happens a lot. The step up between youth football and Championship/League 1 football is a very big one.

13. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

Agreed. I also feel the same thing could be happening to Ryan Doble who had 2 relatively unsuccessful loan spells at Stockport and Oxford United this Season and I am now starting to fear that he will never make the grade as too with Callum McNish, Ben Reeves and Tony Garrod.

14. sussexsaint

sussexsaint Member

Some will make the grade. Obviously many will fall by the wayside. As you say about Doble, if he can't make an impression at Stockport he won't be making one for us.

15. Itchen North Matt

It's unfortunate, but if they all made the grade, we'd have a team full of youth academy graduates and we'd never have to sign anyone. If only it was that easy! However well we run it or however much money we pour into it, it won't happen. Not unless we go around the world pinching kids, but I think most Saints fans would object to lots of foreigners being nurtured at the expense of homegrown talent.

16. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

It just underlines how tough it is to become a professional footballer, even when you get that professional contract. To break into a top team is tough and every game of our season just gone was a competitive one. We had a couple of loans which flopped (Bignall & N'Guessan) but other than that Adkins did not have a chance to blood anyone.

It's difficult for us fans as we're all the manager and when you see players released without playing you always fear he'll be the next Kevin Philips. It's always more reassuring to see a player a few times in the 1st team so we can make a collective judgement. Take Oscar Gobern as an example, he has had a handful of opportunities, but I don't think anyone would be too disappointed if he was released. A decent player, but not ready to dominate a championship midfield and you can't afford to carry players at this level.

17. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

You have met Mr Wenger then?

18. daldridge7

daldridge7 Member

I just wonder if the lack of Development Squad matches there was this season has helped form such a big gap between the youth and the first team squad. An example of this would have been rather then involving Bignall in the few times he had a game we could have given Doble a chance or instead of giving N'guessan his occasional guest appearance try out a Lloyd Isgrove or Ben Reeves. Personally, I think if we had a Development squad that had more games and were tested against other fringe and first team players it would help narrow the gap between First Team and Youth Team.

19. Number1Saint

Number1Saint New Member

Those are exactly my thoughts!

The U21's development squadplayed just 7 games this season, so how do they expect the youngsters to develop if they are not playing games?

Players like Callum Mcnish, Ryan Tafazolli, and definately Sam Argent were on the fringes of the first team until this season. I now suspect this has hindered their development to a point and sadly I believe they wont have a future at Saints.

20. Itchen North Matt

problem is, outside the premier league, the reserve leagues operate on a regional level where games are infrequent and often against very poor opposition. The current idea has been to organise friendly matches between the better reserve sides outside the PL. Unfortunately there aren't that many of those who have also pulled out of their reserve leagues. Could it be worth sending them further afield, i.e the continent, to get some more and more varied experience?