1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Arsenal Tuesday 26/1/2021 8.15pm BT Sport 1

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by davecg69, Jan 24, 2021.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

We need a volunteer for the Villa game please.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Villa have spent bucketloads of money, and not suffered the key injuries. Yet. Similar to West Ham. They'll probably come.

3. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

No he didn't say that. He specifically said that he did not want to talk about individual players. "We win as a team and we lose as a team". He said he thought that the new players tried hard, he did not expect them to play at the required level straight away (this was backed up in the commentary where they said both were growing into the game in the second half). I think you've found a misquote of his comment on the overall team performance and his comment that "the quality wasn't there (today)..."

I said at half time that we would be lucky to get anything out of the game. That said, I thought Arsenal let us back in the game for much of the second half. We looked more in control and if our decision making had been a bit more clinical in the final third we could have equalised. As is often the case, your press for an equaliser and end up letting them get a third to kill off the game. I understand why Ralph subbed Vokins and Diallo did OK at left back but it meant we conceded the midfield a bit.

Saturday will be a different game altogether.

4. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

I'll step up to this if nobody has volunteered elsewhere.

5. saintrichie123

Go for it :emoticon-0148-yes:

6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Do we know how long KWP is out for with his injury? We know we'll have Bertrand back at least.

7. saintrichie123

Ralph was talking about possibly putting Diallo at RB when Romeu returns......so I take it from that no time soon.

8. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

Will add this PM!

VVD, Saints_Alive, davecg69 and 5 others like this.
  9. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Armstrong`s performance was the big plus from the game - can`t win them all, next game please!

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

We can’t control the injuries and being the size of club we are with our finances, I believe fans should enjoy the good times of the ride and just have some reality with their expectations. If Bruno looks tired or needs a rest, United put Pogba in or another £70m player. Arsenal the same with Pepe, Partey. We can’t compete with that over a season.

I get excited and very, very proud when I see us go on a run and top the table. I milk it fir all it’s worth, get deep down I know the likely outcome over 38 games. If we were fortunate enough to keep it going and finish top 6 again, then wonderful.

However, I’m not going to moan and groan and declare a season over because we’ve lost a game or even three or four. I’m going to enjoy what we do and stay proud. I hope we progress in the cup against a tough team in Wolves and March on to Wembley... but you know... I had a little look at the teams left in the draw after the next round. It’ll be tough again. We can do it on our day for sure, but if we don’t then so be it.

UTS

11. fatletiss

I’d rather be frustrated that we “nearly go there” than be frustrated because we’re **** and hanging on to survive, not being in a game most weeks.

12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

We have only lost to big 6 teams*, the best of the rest, Leicester and Palace on the opening day. That represents good progress IMO and we still have the ability to beat the elite on our day. There is a balance to be struck between having solid experienced back ups or depending on youth to get their chances and improve and if a couple of them make it then we would've saved big money which a club of our size must do on occasions.

*None of them have beaten us easily.

thereisonlyoneno7 and StJabbo1 like this.
  13. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

It’ll be a while before I volunteer again! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. fatletiss

Yes it would be, but Sam Matterface just makes me think “oh shut-up-a-yer-face”

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.
  15. saintrichie123

I just don’t like him, purely because he went out with one of my favourite skysport presenters.....the very lovely Natalie Sawyer...not jealous at all <laugh>

thereisonlyoneno7 and fatletiss like this.
  16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fats. Completely agree with everything you say. Unless we have mega-money backing us, all we can do is compete with what we have - and we’re doing pretty damn well at that these days! I’m proud to be a Saints supporter and, yes it hurts when we lose, but we played well, went for it and got beaten by a better team. It’s what happens, but it’s not the end of the world for gods sake.
    We may end up “mid-table” and I’ll be happy. We may end up at Wembley and I’ll be ecstatic. Or we may end up out of the cup and somewhere around 10th, which will give us a target to better next season. I still believe Ralph is an amazing manager and coach and he could attract more young players who will come through and make us stronger. We have a great team, just need a bit more depth.
    Up the ****ing Saints!!

17. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of that especially ref Redmond. Such as shame.

18. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I've always said that I'm happy with a Saints team that:

1. Plays exciting and entertaining football *tick*
    2. Takes the cups seriously *tick*
    3. Can give the richer elite clubs a bloody nose occasionally *tick*
    4. Gives chances to home grown players *tick*

So I'm very satisfied at this time.

Nearly every Saints fan I know feel the same way and the bond between the club and supporters is as strong as it has been for a few years now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  19. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

I think we have to put the wide lens on what Ralph says sometimes because let's not forget, whilst he speaks excellent English, the exact meaning may be slightly different. To me it was an honest appraisal which came out looking pretty blunt, but his intention was to answer the question honestly but I am not convinced it was in any way meant to be an unkind swipe at the team.

20. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

£2.5m per position I imagine (or chairman anyway). Iirc prize £ for FAC was only £1m or at least until quite recently. Of course the kudos is massive but for Mr Chair?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021