1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Chelsea 30/10/16 16:00 KO

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintrichie123, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Had a feeling someone would pick up on me saying that (if it was mine that you were) - I don't manage to get to many games these days because of the nature of my work, so in some ways it was a criticism of myself as you tend to forget how completely differently you can perceive the game whilst watching it live, rather than the limited view of what the camera is focussing on at the time.

It is certainly NOT a shutdown of other opinions - and actually, often what you see on tv can give a reasonably good perception of the reality. With this one though, I honestly think there was a strange disconnect between the tv watchers and the majority of those at the game. It's just one that stood out. No problem if people disagree with that, but it was a tactical/chess game that we lost, that tend to be more perceptible and actually enjoyable live (plus you don't get influenced by the commentators blathering).

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Wasn't aimed at you, it was just a general thing that gets thrown about , so I used it. If I was saying it about you I would have quoted your post as I don't mind annoying people ha. No one gets influenced by commentators, they just get bored by them. :emoticon-0110-tongu

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  3. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Hull are likely to play 3 at the back with 2 wing-backs as well.

4. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Where is Fats, surely he isn't looking inside his pram for the toys, is he ?

5. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they're ****.

6. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Oh god, that just reminded me how hungry I am on my commute back from London...

7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Shhh Clem, you can't slag off Oriol, he is the current golden boy....:emoticon-0110-tongu

davecg69 and Clem Fandango like this.
  8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Here's my 24 hours later take on the game.

We played reasonably well. Not great but reasonably well. Against a side less magnificent (as Chelsea certainly were yesterday) we'd have done OK.

As it was, every single mistake we made seemed to result in a shot on target by Chelsea. We made a mistake, they got a shot on target. Every time, it seemed. Sometimes it's just like that. With their lack of pressure in Europe I believe they could win the PL this year; they are a real piece of work.

Sometimes you lose because you're just plain beaten.

Vin

9. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

A lot of teams are until we play them. Then they decide to be sh***less, just for 90+minutes.

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Bit late to the party, and havent read through the pages on here. I was at the game and my take was that Chelsea's tactics worked perfectly and we had no answer, exacerbated by their early goal. Yes we defended terribly for both goals, but that aside. Conte knew that if he took Tadic and Redmond out of the game we'd create nothing. They were very happy to let us have possession until it was passed to either Redmond or Tadic, then there were immediately at least two chelsea players on top of them. We had no ideas then, our fullbacks were too scared to get forward essentially because of the threat they possessed on the break and with the form that Hazard was in. We didn't really have an answer to that.
    Oh and the other thing was Chelsea were constantly comitting little 'professional' fouls that wern't picked up on by the ref and so they continued to do so, and got away with it. They often had someone challenging for the 50/50 ball (but more looking to shove or prevent our player from winning it) and then had another player there ready to pick up the 2nd ball. The ref didn't clamp down on it, so they kept on doing it and our players couldn't deal with it. I watched a lot of these '50/50' challenges and far too often the Chelsea player wasn't looking at the ball, and only had eyes for the Southampton player. It was frustrating.
    There were some really poor performances in there from some of our players, and some really good performances, but as a team we were well tactically well beaten.

Onto Milan, I can't wait! COYR

11. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Yep, perfect observation. We need to learn & I'm sure CP will.

12. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I thought that Chelsea looked every inch the Chelsea of old and the fact that we went toe to toe with them says more about our progression than anything. Costa scored a worldy and I wouldn't get too hung up on who should have been covering Hazard either as whoever it was wouldn't have caught him. My only beef (and it's a tenuous one) about the first goal was Forster's stance. When will keepers covering the near post learn to keep their legs closed and stay on their toes so they can flick one out to stop a shot. Surely by now they've all worked out that you can't move a leg back quickly enough to block a nutmeg when you are planted.

13. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

HE DID NOT START!

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

My view 48 hours later:

Wow! one league defeat and the not606 family is in disarray.

We lost. Chelsea were good. One or two of our players may have made a mistake. Chelsea were good.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

^^^Blue line. Move on Please :)

We are now playing Inter Milan (yep 3 times Euro champs) in the next game on Thursday. Let's all agree to disagree - Saints need the not606 family together for this. We all have different opinions, emotions etc. But above all we want SFC to do well. No one is right, no one is wrong (I live with Mrs no7...). We are all different and that is what makes a forum. Above all:

We March On.

COYR, you know it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!

Archers Road likes this.
  15. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

The point I made, wasn't that we were critical of what you said, that was obviously correct, it was about the number of times that you felt the need to say it.