1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Leicester City Friday night football 25.10.2019 8pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RedandWhiteManofKent, Oct 20, 2019.

1. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

The issue with mgt is similar to that with players of course, if they’re good then they get nicked by bigger clubs

As mentioned before, Ralph also needs an experienced assistant asap

2. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

We need to spend money in January - we don’t have any money - we can’t sell anyone to make money - good players won’t join us as we’re **** unless we offer a huge wage - we’re then stuck with extra players on big wages - we then panic sign someone - repeat.

Archers Road likes this.
  3. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

The football gods really have it in for me - Aberdeen are reported to be interested in free agent, and our old fishy friend, Gary O`Neil !

4. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

but we need shot of them... I’d consider paying up Frasers contract money well spent...

5. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I've now read in three separate places the suggestion to bring Nigel Adkins in as Ralph's assistant.

Whilst I'd love Nigel to be back at Saints in some capacity, I can't see him being interested in a lower role than he had 7 years ago

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Let alone him not being the right man, much as I loved Nigel.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  7. TheSofaSaint

TheSofaSaint Active Member

Would be a strange situation where the fans favourite would be the assistant. Not that it would ever happen. Would be nice to see a smile on some saints staff for once though.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Have you also read the reports about Dave Jones coming back as Director of Football? :emoticon-0104-surpr

9. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Is that the one having such a good season in Glasgow that he's targeting an England recall?

10. Saintharry13

Hmm.... he can target an England recall from north of the border as far as I’m concerned.... I fundamentally think we think shot.... he’s been happy to sit and collect an astonishing wage and then when given the chance, produces utter sh&te last year... needs a fresh start...

11. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

And there's no reason why he should not continue to do so. He would have cost close to 10m to buy out. As long as he's on loan, it's not a total loss. And if he does well, then maybe we can even a little something for him next season as he'd have room to take a lower salary in exchange for an extension at Celtic.

Honestly where we screwed up was 3 or 4 seasons ago, when we were doing well in the league and being lauded as a well-run club on the rise and with tons of cash from selling players. At that point, we really could have been competitive in signing a the young players we need. We could have paid a little less than other clubs. That's when we should have spent more, and didn't. Now we have to pay way more because who wants to play here?

Saintharry13 likes this.
  12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Anyone else bumping into people who they haven't seen in weeks who suddenly want to talk football? Yeah, me too.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Players only giving 200k of their wages to charity after such a **** game isn't really good. It should be a weeks wages

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I am sure they have bills to pay though so don't want to be left short

Beef and San Tejón like this.
  15. Saintharry13

Not saying it would t be a risk and a huge financial hit, but I believe that players like Fraser have and are part of the problems. Although contractually he’s doing nothing wrong and it’s not his fault he was offered the contract he was, there is a space being occupied by his presence and failure to improve.

We have little space for carrying players just on the off chance. Youngsters with potential is one thing, something must be able to be worked out mutually even if we do take the hit financially.

16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

In truth though surely it won’t matter who we get rid of if they are not replaced by proven and better players? Something we have not done for some while.

VocalMinority likes this.
  17. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Yep, but it’s also like people feel more awkward than me. I feel like I need to say something but what do you say other than it’s embarrassing!

18. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

The new players will be on fresh long contracts and be even harder to get rid of <laugh>:emoticon-0106-cryin

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Get in first and talk about the egg chasing

20. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is why I was okay with our moves this summer and why I don't think trying to make big changes in the winter is going to help. Our financial and ownership status seems a bit instable, our club looks like a sinking ship, and we don't appear to have the best talent evaluators. Only sketchy players will want to be attracted to a situation like this, and only because of the money we'd throw at them, and we're asking people who we aren't sure know what they're doing to pick a diamond out of the rough.

I thought that given last year's results with RH we had at least enough talent and work ethic to just manage stay up. We take a shot at a couple of young players who might not help much this year but could be added to our core. And then we wait for some big contracts to come off the books.

It turns out that the players I thought we could rely on are all very bad this year. Which means we may have.... nothing. But if that's the case, we're just screwed. Spending desperately when we're in no position to make good buys is just digging ourselves a deeper hole. If the team we saw against Leicester is really where we're at, no realistic amount of spending is going to fix it.

Kaito likes this.