1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Man City 19/12/2020 3pm KO Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sotonsaint, Dec 16, 2020.

1. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Southampton played really well but didn't create too many chances despite the good build up do not good television. Highlights can be misleading of how a game went.

San Tejón likes this.
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Good point. The pundits could have at least mentioned the chances in the analysis though!

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

What chances? I honestly can’t really think of one, the over hit cross from Romeu for Bertrand?

We had a lot of possession but didn’t create anything that I can recall. Oh Redmond had an air shot aswell

AshbySaint likes this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m pleased we didn’t. I’m loving that Theo gets the ball deep and just runs direct at people. Scare the **** out of them.

His one weakness (and why I wouldn’t play him up top the way we play) is that he is a bit of a girls blouse, strength wise (forgive the politically incorrect statement). Gets knocked over if the wind is too strong. The way we play means we need strikers who are strong at holding onto the ball which both Danny and particularly Che are.

I was a bit surprised that @garysfc put Che in the “very poor” category. I think his play has been excellent lately and he is getting better and better. If that glanced header had gone in, people would have been talking about a top performance. He tired yesterday which is unsurprising.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  5. fatletiss

You’ve tippexed * out the bit that says “unless it is for Liverpool, Man Utd or Man City” haven’t you...

* tippex- I’ll explain next time we’re at the pub. :)

6. fatletiss

I called indirect fee kick at the time... still MIke Dean and the lino missed that.

7. fatletiss

Yep. I felt this. Both games showed where we are. A very good side moving in the right direction that can compete with the best, but to be one of the best, we need to keep that improvement and not be sentimental with replacing/improving players.

If Ralph keeps that player improvement up then we will fly.

Next one for me is KWP. He is awesome and consistently been in our top 4 performers each game. If I was Ralph I’d pull him aside and tell him he can challenge TAA for that England spot by adding to his game... get him to either cut in and shoot on his left foot or take the defender on as he gets to the edge or inside the penalty area (like for the Brighton penalty).

He’d be another level up if he can add that.

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

We need a volunteer for the next match.

9. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed yesterday is there is a huge difference between our right and our left.

KWP and Walxott down the right looked threatening all day.

Bertrand and Djenepo... well, less so.

Genuinely think we need to start looking at upgrading Bertrand.

10. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Thanks for the warning
    I’ll watch it with low expectations

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I thought Bertrand had a poor game (by his standards) yesterday, he seemed a yard or two off the pace. However, IMO, we should look for an understudy to push him, but we can get a year or two out of him as the main man yet.

12. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I don't think we should look for an understudy at all. Thatll just bloat the squad and block Vokins development. If we sign a LB it should be with a view of replacing Bertrand as the main man imo.

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  13. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

He did look slow yesterday. As we get better we’ll start to notice anybody who doesn’t hit the high level the others are achieving. I’m sure he’ll be ok again v Fulham. Going toe to toe v City is a big ask after a tough mid week game

Vokins?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. fatletiss

He will slow with age but a lot of his performance comes down to who is in front of him.

15. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Thought we would have had more of a mention on MOTD, but all City and how well they performed. Maybe that's a back handed compliment!

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  16. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: Actually I wondered if I’d get hammered for that! <laugh> It was a bit of after match frustration really. Adams did ok, certainly not great but neither poor, so I’ll rescind that. Big shame Danny seems to have been a bit off after his injury; probably not surprising. That’s when you need the rest of the squad to pick up the baton. Theo’s done fantastic. Yes, I get what you’ve mentioned above & Adams certainly meets that role & is definitely growing into. As I sort of eluded to, Moussa is a work in progress & hopefully will continue to develop. Redmond .... sorry, so disappointed with. Just can’t get my head around him. He’s got the potential but always seems to under perform, rather than ever, over.

fatletiss likes this.
  17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

18. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Picking up on the point made by someone, about playing the ball earlier into space for the forwards, this is an area where I think Romeu and JWP could improve on, especially from a deep position.
    Not knocking them because they are a really good partnership, but they invariably play the short, safe pass and don’t see, or ignore the runs of Ings, Che or others between the CBs.

Piri Weepu likes this.
  19. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

I agree, you can even see them physically consider it before turning and playing a higher percentage option. Sometimes it’s better off risking the quick ball instead of letter the opposition set up their shape, and a lot of our goals come from these faster transitions.

San Tejón likes this.
  20. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Bertie links up better with Redmond. Still not sure about Djenepo, think he may well be another with huge potential who doesn’t develop.