1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Manchester City - The Final Chapter - Sunday 13th May 15:00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by OddRiverOakWizards, May 9, 2018.

1. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

Good evening, I hope that you are still revelling in the glory of our victory last night. Amazingly, this is my fourth match thread in a row and we are almost safe, however The Saints still need a point to secure Premier League status.

Kick off: Sunday 13th May 15:00
    Officials:
    Referee:
    Andre Marriner
    Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
    Fourth official: Mike Dean
    (Thanks Saint Don!)

Southampton: Mark Hughes and his merry men will be swanning their way back from Wales buoyed by their victory and knowing that they have almost secured their Premier League survival. The last game of the season will be a St. Mary's with the fans and players hopefully exuding confidence and joy, something rare this season.

Team news: Steven Davis is out. Mario Lemina and Jan Bednarek are both serious doubts. Yoshida is likely to be recalled in place of either Bednarek or Stephens.

Win probability: 13 %
    Top scorer: Charlie Austin and Dušan Tadić (7)
    Games since a clean sheet: 0
    Games since a Saints home win: 0
    Current position: 17th (woohoo!)
    What Saints need to do to ensure safety: If Southampton get a draw or better they are safe. Otherwise, if Swansea win at Stoke, Southampton must avoid a heavy defeat and a 10 goal swing (due to Swansea's worse goals for column).

Man City: The undisputed Premier League Champions, who have played scintillating football at times and have some of the best players about. They may be generous enough to give you a goal if you can get up that end of the pitch!

Team news: Sergio Agüero is out injured, however Man City have six other players who have scored more than Saints' top scorer. The line-up is almost impossible to predict as Guardiola shuffles his pack once more.

Win probability: 67 %
    Top scorer: Sergio Agüero (A mere 30)
    Games since a clean sheet: 1
    Games since a Man City away win: 0
    Games since an Man City away defeat: 3
    Current position: 1st

Last time: 0-3

Outlook: Almost there! Southampton have had a very good record of beating Manchester City at home in recent seasons, however a star-studded City are performing at a different level under Guardiola this season, scoring 105 goals at an average of 2.8 a game this season. A victory for them will complete an emphatic Premier League campaign with a 100 points to their tally.

It will be difficult to guess what sort of team both sides will put out. Southampton are unlikely to make wholesale changes (Gabbiadini, Long and Yoshida will be pressing for a recall to the starting line-up) and will be keen to get the job done and will perhaps perform better without so much pressure. Manchester City are difficult to guess having made eight changes midweek, albeit winning comfortably in the process.

Southampton must enjoy their day yet make sure that City do not score six (like they did at Watford) or seven (at home to Stoke). Likewise Swansea have scored 10 goals in their last 13 Premier League matches, so the odds are good, however I will be delighted to get over the line, that is now so close.

Never give up hope and thanks for the journey and support Not606ers :)!

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't have begrudged you if you'd feigned injury for this one, to preserve your unbeaten record.

Plus, keeping that magic touch unharmed could be handy come next season, should we require your services again next April.

No Charlie for this one, Mark.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I wondered why he was a bit sniffy after the last match...

4. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

What if (playing devils advocate) Stoke players hate Mark Hughes so much they decide to “do a Sunderland” and let Swansea score 8 against them? After all, they have nothing to lose. And if we lose 3-1 to City, we’re down.
    We need to push on and play as if we need at least a point. Cannot afford to be relaxed in any way. Park bus if needed!

5. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

We have to give some thanks to man city. Their 5-0 demolition of Swansea a couple of weeks ago has really helped. If they only won 1-0 we would be on a 6 goal swing and far less comfortable.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

We'll ****ing smash 'em.

Number 1 Jasper and ChilcoSaint like this.
  7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Mark Hughes will undoubtedly go for a defensive start with the target of getting to half-time 0-0 as this reduces the chance of a large score. The Swansea v Stoke score is hard to call....Swansea will be more up to it (according to ancient football lore), but they were also up for beating us. Stoke will probably want to finish strongly for their fans, so will be no walk over. The Stoke fans may hate Mark Hughes, but I suspect this is the group equivalent to Saintsweb, I suspect the Stoke players do not share this view because players are more pragmatic and know how the real footballing world works....not the phantasmagoria that fills the head of some fans.

8. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

“Pep Guardiola says that his side - on a record 97 points now - want the ton up at the weekend to complete an 'almost perfect season.'”

Well you not having 3 points! COYR’s!

Archers Road likes this.
  9. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a ****ty drab 0-0 and then a survival party at my house (invites only)

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Swansea probably know they are down and i doubt they have enough fight to smash stoke. I may be wrong but they didnt seem to play with that much heart against us when it was all to play for!

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

They played with plenty of heart against us - it's quality they lack. They're not beating anyone 4-0.

12. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

This game will be on Sky Sports Mix for whoever has it.

13. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

Why no Charlie?

14. Giboman

Giboman Active Member

I can't help but feel nervous...
    If Sparky had lost the dressing room at Stoke there could be a real incentive to lose for their players coming into the Swansea game.
    City are more than capable of giving us a real roasting and we could also spoil their party!

It's going to be a very interesting 90 minutes Sunday!

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Professional football players are going to deliberately get thrashed to get revenge on their former manager at another club?

Unlikely, I'd say.

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They can have the 3 points if they agree to win 1-0!

17. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

We could refuse to play and only suffer a 0-3 score line.

Maybe they picked up something in Wales the other night. (Yeah, like 3 lovely points).

Just saying.

Paddy Podped likes this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Read a review of the game....said that Swansea had more of the game, but Saints are just a better side. Pointed out that when we did get it together we played with some style....unlike Swansea. Our fall from grace seemed to surprise most of the media...who still consider us a team with some talent....unlike a few fans :) We need a shake up (without going too crazy) and a manager who can get the best out of us. At the moment that is Hughes who deserves a chance to try again next season....perhaps he needs the right team as much as we need the right manager.

Sorry....back to my point....no, Swansea are not beating anyone by a large margin. If we keep it respectable against City (and not impossible that we spoil their party) we'll be fine. Just don't ask me on Sunday. :emoticon-0107-sweat

19. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I am still going with a Stoke win on Sunday.
    For us I would be tempted to leave Hoedt on the bench and use Bertrand as the third CB.
    Hoedt’s willingness to just dive in and commit fouls, added to his turning circle being equal to that of a super tanker worries me against such a quick and mobile City attack.
    Failing that maybe use Bertie as a 4th CB :emoticon-0102-bigsm

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Wes seems to be going backwards. I wasn’t convinced at the start and I thought he was shocking on Tuesday.

......loading...... likes this.