1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v West Ham Saturday 5:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Dec 9, 2019.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Well that concluded a pretty ****ing miserable week all round didn't it.

With the prospect of the Great Winter Spendfest just days away I am feeling totally depressed.

**** capitalism. My money is going to stay firmly under my mattress.

I have never felt so depressed in all my life and I am usually such a happy cheerful chap (remember lying is OK in this modern ****ing corrupt world as people have lost the ability to tell ****ing great lies from the obvious truth).

Is there anything to lift the gloom?

PS Anyone thinking of burgling my house you go ahead if you think £4 6s 3d is worth the risk. That might just buy you a drink n the pub except it is in old bank notes, some florins and a threepenny bit.

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

He thinks that he would like to make lots of money.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I thought he’d already done that?

And why the **** would anyone who wants to make money want to buy a football club? No one ever got rich doing that.

Libby likes this.
  4. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Ralph was at fault by playing a dreadfully out of form Hojbjerg in a two man midfield and that probably lost us the match. JWP and Redmond had very off days. I can't see Ralph dropping Hojbjerg anytime soon because he said only last week that he was 'my type of captain'. That's all fine and dandy and he does the fist pumping speeches rather well but it's all meaningless if he can't back it up on the pitch, and he doesn't do it very often. Redmond is a shadow of what he was last season and should be dropped. Romeu should be starting every game, even at the expense of Hojbjerg but a mid three of Romeu, Hojbjerg and JWP does at least give us a more solid midfield, although I would try JWP, Romeu and Danso.

The problem is much higher up the food chain at Southampton FC. A majority shareholder who wants to sell. A minority shareholder who wants to sell. Grief between both shareholders. A CEO who knows absolutely nothing about football. Rumours flying around the club about possible buyers, take-overs and people feeling everything is just a disjointed mess with no direction. Nelly Gao running a complete **** show of a club like it's a Chinese take-away, but failing to realise people will only pay for a good quality product at a fair price. There's no point in having a nice shop, a tasty looking menu if the actual food is utter ****e. £70 for a decent seat to watch that garbage yesterday? **** off back to dreamland.

Replacing Ralph is the best possible way of throwing £10m down the drain, and achieving absolutely nothing positive. He makes mistakes, he gets it wrong and like everyone, I have reservations about some aspects of his management. A bigger concern is the way the team can play with some fight one week and then not even bother for much of the following match. If it wasn't for Danny Ings we would be nailed on to drop. Even with Danny I reckon we might well go down this year and although it will be bad, it won't be the end. It could be the start of a new beginning, and if ever a club needed a reboot, we do.

5. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Yep, thank **** for Danny Ings.

I honestly dont think changing manager would make much difference, but can understand the calls for it now. We need to buy some players more than we need to sack ralph.

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Fixed that for you...

AshbySaint, Kaito and saintrichie123 like this.
  7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I think you are right.........Sadly I am not confident we will.................Also we have to up the quality of who we are looking at and buying. Not sure we have the leaders to really have a go............

8. Giboman

Giboman Active Member

Our squad is just not good enough.
    We have no crown jewels left to sell to bring new players in. The only player any PL outfit will have a sniff at is ings! And if he can go the rest of the season injury free there will be a tidy profit up for grabs in the summer!

We are 4 quality players short of safety. And with a price tag of 25m+ a piece, it aint gonna happen!

It's Only A Game likes this.
  9. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Very disappointing and frustrating to watch.

Our midfield is so disjointed. Ings and Long will run their socks off all day long.but where is the link up play and cover for the defence.

I was getting increasingly frustrated with Alex and Bednarek for their slowness in distribution but in fairness to them there was little off the ball running.

Bernstein to Stephens, to Bednarek to Stephens is not going to win any matches and usually ends up in a loose ball. Romeu took some control 2nd half and we were better but the wing backs were out of sync too.

Let's hope for a resolute away performance next week, we really need it. Maybe Armstrong is a better option to start now fit.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I've never rated that Bernstein.

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

If the regulars are not doing the job then maybe it is time to let some fringe players have a crack. Stuey and Boufal have been unlucky not to have had longer runs in the team during their time here but the most confusing thing is how the Academy lads have suddenly fallen off of Ralph's radar. Stephens and JWP can't be described as young and hungry any longer and the likes of Valery, Slattery, Vokins are not trusted to do a job. Matty Targett should never have been sold if there was no ready replacement lined up from within the club or bought.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

West Side Story is a masterpiece!...

13. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

That’s ridiculous! He’d just focus on the left & ignore the centre & right hand side <laugh>

14. RedandWhiteManofKent

Yes it's odd to work out. That was one of the first things Ralph changed last year giving chances to Valery, Johnson, Ramsay, Slattery and now he has reverted to a stale team that needs fresh injection.

15. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Ramsay is probably a better alternative than Cedric. Vokins should have been given a go when Bertrand got injured. Slattery or Smallbone would probably be a better bet then PEH right now.

RedandWhiteManofKent likes this.
  16. RedandWhiteManofKent

Not really sure what Cedric is offering this season considering he wasn't deemed good enough last year?
    Positioning , no
    Physical presence, no
    Tackling, no
    Heading, no
    Leadership, no
    Crossing, no
    Shooting, ah we got there in the end, yes he is in the team for his shooting.

Osvaldorama and Saints Fan4Life like this.
  17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I don't think it helps having Djenepo playing on the right in front of him. JWP should be playing there; I think this would help Cedric a lot. Or three in the midfield. But right now Cedric - and I'm hardly his biggest fan - is being isolated. It's no coincidence that Valery started looking more dodgy too since Ralph started playing his 4-2-2-2 bullsh*t. Oh, and Bertie for that matter.

Munson owns Fosse likes this.
  18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

No. We've only seen him play once. I agree about Vokins though.

But come on, this is nonsense. Everybody is calling out any individual on a whim and getting stroppy. But I ask you, how is it that almost every single player (JWP, Hojbjerg, Redmond, Valery, Bertrand, Cedric...) has simultaneously gone off form at the same time? Is it an illness? Is it contagious?

No, it's the tactics and therefore the manager.

Every single player I mentioned, we can vouch for their ability. Redmond last season was almost unplayable at times. But now, new tactic, and it's all gone to sh*t. But sure, we mustn't point the finger at Ralphy. It's obviously all the players' faults. It was noticeable as early as the Bournemouth home game last season (3-3), that two strikers is a risk. but still, Ralph persists with it. Painful.

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Redmond has been **** most of his career, maybe last year was the anomaly

SaintinNZ and Giboman like this.
  20. RedandWhiteManofKent

I don't disagree

And this isn't all down to one player, this is a team problem, a squad problem, a club problem and needs to be collectively put right. And not easily done given that 4 managers have tried.

fatletiss likes this.