1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Norwich City.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Dec 3, 2019.

1. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

I agree with you, any half sensible fan always knew relegation was a strong possibility and I have said from the start of the season fourth from the bottom would be a fantastic season. I cant help thinking though we have been here before more than once and followed the same path. If teams like Southampton, Burnley, Bournemouth and others can establish themselves in the p.l why not us?. Sometimes you have to speculate to acculimate. There is certainly worse things to be than a yo yo club, but what do you think will be left of the current squad if we go down?

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  2. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

Part of me agrees with you, but sometimes I just think with a bit more determination by the board and a little risk taking we could take one of these opportunities to establish ourselves as others have done

3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I agree, calculated risks could have, could even make all the difference. I don't expect us to spunk money on a Naismith, anyone coming in would need to fit the age/resale profile. Lets face it, come the end of the season, we would either have stayed up and the signings are paid for, or go down and we lose the best of the younguns (Might happen even if we stay up!) and between that and the parachute money will still be fine.
    The one sure thing for me is that, going down is the biggest risk to the project. We have 2 more seasons after this with DF and SW, if next we lose half of our best as relegation very feasibly might mean they leave for better offers (Even with big contracts, will we really stand in the way and have an unhappy player on the books?) then it becomes a rebuild that may or may not work, at least it should be better financed with us potentially in a better place if we again went up.
    Lots of if's but's and maybe's, but more help was not beyond a modest gamble and maybe should have been taken.

Bah!

canary on the weald likes this.
  4. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

But are any of these successful others actually comparable to us? Are any of them self funded book balancing clubs?

5. Phuketcanary

Its not meant to impress you. Its an expression saying that people of varied sexuality are welcome both in playing and supporting the sport of football. There are many places and communities where people of non heterosexual persuasion are not welcome in the UK. Many people who are not heterosexual suffer mental and physical abuse regularly throughout their day. To have a short term promotion of positive values towards often marginalized groups is surely not a bad thing?

It is often said that intolerance comes from lack of understanding and fear of 'otherness.' Raising awareness and recognition of the fact that these groups exist is a way to combat that.

Legally maybe. But the way they are treated due to their sexuality is very different. Homophobia is rife still, heterophobia is not.

Ok ill bite. Try explaining to your young kids that the heart on a valentines day card represents a woman giving a blow job. That'll probably scar them too. Because its a) a misrepresentation of what it actually stands for. b) its willfully ignoring a complex and multilayered range of emotional and physical relationship types, and instead focusing on a off hand and flippant sex act totally out fo context of a wider emotion narrative.

Im fine with you being homophobic and wanting people different from you to keep it 'in the privacy of their bedrooms.' But peoples sexuality predominantly doesnt exist as a physical sex act. Its peoples lives and people suffer for it because others believe they have to conform to their expectations.

When people go to football they bring all their politics, their sexuality and their beliefs with them. How can they not. You simply dont recognize that you bring yours because they are the status quo.

Sorry to derail thread, but the whole 'im not homophobic but' angle, followed by thinly veiled distain for anyone of non heterosexuality, is just intolerant homophobia.

If you have something to say that isnt just angry bile about people acknowledging LGBTQ people exist, and that them being welcome is by no means historically a default position at a sporting event, please do share it in a clearer, more rational way.

Content to follow, perhaps?

GozoCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

And there we have it .

Unless you celebrate the LGBTQ etc movement in every single aspect of your daily life then you are a homophobe ?

Most gay people I have met don't want to be considered "different" or "special " they are just people some nice some not nice like everyone else.

Sigh .

I'll leave it there.

7. Phuketcanary

You did a great job of ignoring everything i just pointed out in your previous post, and making a strawman argument instead.

No one wants you to celebrate it, and its not every aspect of your life. Its a week of showing a flag that represents and welcomes people of different sexualities to a public arena. If you dont like that by all means youre free stay at home and watch it in the privacy of your own home.

Or you can rant and grumble about how afraid you seem to be that the gays and trannies are out to scar all the young children by briefly expressing their existence, whilst conjuring up a surprisingly large number of references to gay sex and anal play, Ill point out how out of date and homophobic you sound doing so.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  8. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Any chance of getting this thread back on track?

9. Phuketcanary

sure, and like i say, i apologize for taking DD's comment and responding to it. I just wanted to counter what struck me as ill informed comment.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

OK .

We Won .

ncgandy likes this.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

So you reiterate your last point , celebrate the LGBTQ movement or **** off home you homophobe.

That's not very tolerant or inclusive it sounds a bit pushy to me.

They could have a special memorial day for Justin Fashinu who killed himself and raise awareness of the ridiculously high suicide rates amongst the LGBTQ community especially trans people , he was a Norwich legend .

I haven't ruled out a bit of bum fun if the right guy or lady with a penis catches my eye but I have never indulged .

Perhaps you are the one. :emoticon-0111-blush

12. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

FFS DD let it go

13. Phuketcanary

come now i gave you the option to attend and grumble whilst i critique your opinions as well!

You could ask Stephen Fry to host the memorial day, after all he himself has spoken about how he experienced depression and a brush with suicide due to homophobia.

Not sure i can help you with the penis ladies though, thats more of thaicanarys wheel house i feel!

edit- but yes DD, lets leave this here without further jabs. you said a thing i disagreed with. I said a thing you equally disagreed with. lets just both agree on one thing. NCFC have a ****ing hard season ahead of us!

14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you could establish whether he's the one by DM rather than on a legit football thread,
    we'd all be truly thankful.
    End of.

DUNCAN DONUTS and Phuketcanary like this.
  15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

No need to apologise, bengalurucanary. I usually hate it when a thread gets taken off track, but in this case the issue is an important one and your response was insightful. Thanks for that. DD sometimes gets carried away but we all have to take responsibility for what we say on a public platform.

Phuketcanary likes this.
  16. DUNCAN DONUTS

I fully accept any persons right to express themselves and identify with what they feel most comfortable being.

I just don't think they are special and I really don't care.
    This isn't an irrational phobia of their chosen lifestyle.

I just find it an irrelevance in our forward thinking country.

If the entire squad was compiled from the best gay footballers in the World and we avoid relegation I would not care a single jot, the same as I don't differentiate between their skin colour or religious beliefs.

I wasn't particularly impressed Delia put on free coaches to send people to a people's vote demo in London either, and speak at pro remain events.

She is still our majority shareholder and can identify as a proud catholic pro remain activist if it makes her happy.

And I should be free to think her chosen religion is a farce riddled with paedophilia and her political views are misguided .

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

Apologies for going off on a tangent I think debating people with different opinions can be healthy and I take note of Bengalcanaries views and respect them .

RiverEndRick likes this.
  18. Phuketcanary

these kind of 'heated' exchanges of views are always better with beers in hand rather than a keyboard! You're more than welcome to call out anything i say that you vehemently disagree with at any time!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  19. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

There is a lacuna in your reasoning. You point to those three clubs having successfully established themselves in the EPL, and ask "why not us". You then imply that they did so by "speculating to accumulate". The unstated assumption is that all were in very much the same state of preparedness for survival as us when they were promoted and in each case survival hung crucially on "speculative" strengthening in that first season.

The reality is that none of those clubs (Swansea and West Brom are other examples) came to survive in the EPL by "speculating" in the way you suggest we should. The crucial difference is that they were already much better equipped to survive than we currently are; its the difference between, on the one hand, (a) being very likely to survive and spending to increase the likelihood further, and (b) being very unlikely to survive and spending to decrease the degree of unlikeliness.

Southampton, Bournemouth and Swansea reached the top division having developed steadily over several years in lower divisions, adopting a coherent philosophy and style of play enabling them to build a squad well capable of winning promotion and then surviving. This is the same strategy as Sheffield United have employed. Burnley, and West Brom before them, were more like us, but sensibly resigned themselves to a yo-yo club existence while incrementally strengthening year by year through shrewd recruitment. Again it took several years before they achieved the survival breakthrough, which they did without speculating at all.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  20. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

And our 2018--2019 accounts show a loss of how much exactly? So what do you reckon "a modest gamble" is in hard cash? SW has already said that there is a modest amount available for spending in January if players are needed and suitable ones available. He means without having to gamble. Isn't that good enough?