1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southend game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

i was rather apprehensive about this game so main emotion is relief.town shoot up to 15th but just four points clear of a relegation place bottom four teams ,Walsall lose ,Wimbledon continue to improve as they pick up the winning habit. Rochdale draw and Bradford lose.

right now it is the results that count and this was what we needed.a fairly even first half then Ferjiri goal just highlights what a threat he can be.Waterfall goal just gave town some breathing space, towns defence were not really troubled and dealt with things fairly comfortably, i can only recall Mitchell making one save so that is the kind of start he would hope to have.hope Norburn is ok and did not go off due to aggravating his injury.
    Scunthorpe lose which is the third defeat on the trot so we have to replicate what we did today.

2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

A very solid team performance. Very few efforts on goal in the first half from either team though we had the better of it. We seemed to step it up straight away in the second half and Fejiri finished well ( and could have had a second after we hit the post). Luke's goal gave us some breathing space and we were fairly comfortable after that. Everyone played well but I thought Luke was magnificent all afternoon. Yes Southend played to his strengths by pumping high balls into the box but he did not miss a beat defensively and when I saw the cross for our second goal coming over I knew he would not miss. Mitchell did not have much to do in the way of saves but he looked confident, was quick to come of his line and kicked well. At last Ricketts seems to have settled on his best team and formation so lets play the same way against Scunthorpe where a win would mean we are only probably three points away from safety.

Zenfootball2 and Matster like this.
  3. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wow, two nil away. A good result for Town and it has moved Shrewsbury up-to a more secure 15th in the table, with a few results also going our way to boot.

Let's hope we can carry on the success next match.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  4. Zenfootball2

Town's remaining fixtures:
    SCUNTHORPE UNITED
    Gillingham
    Barnsley
    OXFORD UNITED
    Coventry City
    WALSALL

5. Matster

Forum Moderator

Sending Walsall down?

6. Zenfootball2

my worst nightmare is everything hanging on us beating Walsall and making a dogs breakfast of it.

7. greenhousmeadowman

I dont think it will come to that for us Zen but it may be we will have a free shot at sending Walsall down - that would make for quite the atmosphere.

Zenfootball2 and Matster like this.
  8. Matster

Forum Moderator

I'd hope we are safe by then and its pleasure only.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  9. Zenfootball2

wining against Walsall and sending them down( sounds a bit mean) but it will make up for cold wet days and night were Walsall have beaten us

Matster likes this.
  10. greenhousmeadowman

Walsall could be safe by then - they have been on a bad run but have been usually well in the games. There are probably four worse teams than them in League 1.

11. Zenfootball2

true we just need four worse teams than shrewsbury

Matster likes this.