1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Southgate

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Comfy, Jun 19, 2021.

1. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

If Scotland had a genuine target man they would be decent side. They played better than us last night full stop. If any side was going to win it would have been Scotland, the fact I was relieved when the final whistle went and we didn't get beat, tells me everything.

Draig, Jarca, TopCat_ and 2 others like this.
  2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

England have always been **** at major tournaments. Occasionally the end result (valiant defeat on penalties) masks the previous poor performances:

Italia 90 - absolutely gash until the semi, fortunate to beat Belgium and Cameroon in the knockouts
    Euro 96 - awful against Switzerland and very average 1st half against Scotland. Totally outplayed by Spain
    Russia 18 - very poor v Tunisia & Belgium. Fortunate to get past Colombia, totally outplayed by Croatia

Yet we look back on those tournaments with affection. The truth is, no team plays well the entire tournament, Portugal finished 3rd in their group in the last Euros then went on and won it. There has been a massive over reaction to last night (as per) and it's actually quite dismissive of the performance that Scotland gave. They were miles the better team, yet England fans seem to only focus on their own team's failures.

No doubt the manager will change it for the Czech game and England will obviously qualify. Their main issue is where the goals are coming from because Kane and Sterling look absolutely shot

3. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I've been supportive of Southgate, specifically with him bringing the younger players through, but he said just before the tournament after one of the friendlies that he was still working out his best team/partnerships. That was worrying.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

looked to me like we were not up for it and wanting to progress with the least amount of effort and diving for free kicks including the Jocks

Wolfy and farnboromackem like this.
  5. TopCat_

Why is that "worrying"? Players fall in and out of form and favour all the time. He'd be a very stubborn man if he insisted on a rigid first 11 that wouldn't ever change, regardless of form and fitness. 12 months ago, players like Bellingham, Phillips, James, Foden and Grealish probably wouldn't have even been in the conversation for a tournament squad, never mind in the first 11. I think it shows a refreshing approach

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  6. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

As soon as Grealish came on I said to our lass that the Scots would just foul him giving away free kicks. They done exactly as any other side would have done ,slowed the game down and killed it. Truthfully, Scotland were never in any danger apart from Stones header against the pot. I agree about Foden too, why take the only mobile player off?

Dorset and Draig like this.
  7. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I'm not after a rigid first 11. I'm saying that one week before a major tournament he should know his first 11 because of form. Clearly as he's playing Sterling for example, who has had a **** last few months with Man City, I'd say he doesn't, which is worrying.

8. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It was a surprise that he picked Sterling as, like you say, he'd not been in great form recently. But he had a good game against Croatia as did several other players. With 26 players to choose from, I'd be surprised if he had any particular 11 in mind as a first choice. Tournament football, especially in the modern game, is made for a game by game selection, as he showed with the full backs yesterday.

SAFCDRUM likes this.
  9. TopCat_

Again. I don't get the "worrying" comment because he's basically saying there are many options for the 1st team. It's a positive thing

Depends on your point of view of course and if you are after an established XI then maybe this isn't the tournament for you

10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i think the problem is that the media build the team/players up and declare us as one of the favourites...then the reality of that first game hits and goes downhill from there, maybe it is 'tactical' from the manager so as not to show his hand too early as i have noticed that from other countries many times (portugal just managing to qualify but winning the euros in the end, italy getting all draws in the world cup group yet going on to win etc) or maybe the english cannot handle the big games of major competitions.

Blond Bombshell and smithy in nl like this.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

That's what is so annoying for me, I remember a time when England v Scotland always meant something ...

... even friendlies had them going at it full tilt.

Draig likes this.
  12. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Can't really comment on last night's game, was bored with it after 25 mins and turned off.

Makemstine Roger and Random lad like this.
  13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He’s absolute toss.

Best generation of players we’ve had in 25 years and he’s playing 2 holders rigidly every game.

The man is ****ing clueless. We should be making the oppo worry about us not setting up to be ****ing tight.

The quality we have going forward is outrageous yet we are absolute dross to watch.

14. Makemstine Roger

exactly and while i'm on who is he to give the fans that boo ****e So overpaid players can make political gestures for ever more, and the fans who pay their wages through the gate receipts,merchandise and Sky/BT subscriptions should go along with it? they can get ****ed booing will be part and parcel of the game for as long as this act carries on, it is also our right to protest as well.
    As for trying to explain the meaning behind the kneeling don't bother, if a joke is told that can be misconstrued so that you have too explain its meaning, then it's a bad joke, in the same way this gesture has multiple meanings so therefore it's a bad idea.

15. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

Sterling was garbage and should have been hauled off, he was poor v Croatia too and only his goal kept him in.

16. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

You lucky sod for some untold reason I watched the whole pile of s hit until the end<doh>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Makemstine Roger

masochist.....so did i

rooch 3 likes this.
  18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He couldn’t control the ball last night, he was shocking.

You had Sancho sat there on the bench having had 40 goal involvements in 42 games or summat like that and he didn’t use him.

For all Kane was ****, you don’t take him off at 0-0, you change the player behind him that’s not getting him the ball. That player was ****ing Sterling.

Im not a Sterling hater I rate the lad, but his form was patchy all season and he’s been piss poor last 4-5 England games.

19. Makemstine Roger

<applause><applause><applause>:emoticon-0167-beer:

farnboromackem likes this.
  20. Makemstine Roger

They need to change Wykes name by deed poll to Mc WYKIE NOCKY NOO go on son you know it makes sense get him bought