1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He ran ADAC and Italian F4 in 2016, finishing 2nd in both. Is that two lots of 10 points then? Hadn't noticed they carried significant points.

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good to see that 2 weeks later Max is still moaning at Bottas for not throwing his car out of the way when Max moved over on him.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Really ?

He needs to let go .

Bet his dad's there this weekend .

4. Number 1 Jasper

Where Is Big Ern ?

DHCanary likes this.
  5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Concept 2021 cars look good and if they can follow closer to each other then all the better. 2 more years though.....

6. Number 1 Jasper

Still not sure I like the idea of 18 inch wheels and no tyre warmers, but I will get used to it . I hope...

7. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Supposedly there's currently a 50% reduction in downforce when running behind another car, and these new designs should reduce that by 30%.

Hopefully reality reflects that, but I don't think even the theoretical benefits are sufficient to get rid of DRS

8. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Mick Schumacher is on pole again. He is having a very strong end to the season.

Also looking at the standings on Wikipedia and somebody is having a laugh with Marino Sato..
    20180921_232015.jpg

9. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Mick wins race 1 and 2. Leading the championship.

El_Bando and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Dan Ticktum (and his girlfriend) through a very undignified strop on Instagram, moaning about how his car has mysteriously become uncompetitive, and how he's fighting a losing battle because his last name isn't Schumacher. The pair of them were responding to criticisms with ad hominem attacks. Presumably Red Bull's PR department got hold of him, because the Instagram post disappeared after a few hours.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Apologies if I have posted this before , but what are your opinions on the Williams TV Clips on You Tube .

I am a fan of Williams , but , given their current situation , I find it utterly Cringeworthy .

Would esp like to know Cosi Cave's opinion .

12. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you are a fan of Williams? does it go back years? Driver preference? Underdog? small company still racing?

13. Number 1 Jasper

I used to follow drivers , the when Senna died I followed / supported Jordan . Then when they were taken over , started following Williams , I like Sir Frank and Sir Patrick , no other reason really , think it’s a shame they are where they are , but teams come and go .

14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I asked because I was once the same, they were a good team. Not sure what caused the current situation, they were mid pack till recently. Cosi did have a strong opinion about the arrogance, and Frank was guilty of dismissing drivers. Team changes I think have had an impact and Clair has been less attentive in representing the family, by her own admission. I am not a big fan of Paddy Lowe, think he has been lucky and even he admits he has previously only worked in successful teams, so not responsible for creating the culture, just tapping into it. Now, the culture is broken and he has to create it.
    Ron Smedley might fall into the same category for me.
    Mclaren have messed up too. I actually can't see either team coming to the fore in the way they once were, both reputations are damaged, for different causes. The world is fickle. Hope I am proved wrong.

15. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I was a big fan of Williams back in the Montoya days, the BMW days. But they've gone downhill a lot in the last 10 years. The use of pay drivers is what irks me the most, just devalues the team. I just don't see how teams can compare easy money with actually being good and earning that money.

Look at Force India, there's no reason they should be walking all over Williams, but they are. They've got two quality drivers and a small compact outfit that plays to it's strengths. Williams, they're just abysmal these days.

16. Number 1 Jasper

I used to think they were hamstrung by being the only PLC team , and where therefore accountable to the shareholders .

If what I have seen is true though Williams technologies is actually doing well , so not sure .

They have lost the plot though . As I posted earlier seeing Rob Smedley pissing about for Williams TV just winds me up .

It's the Employees I fear for .

17. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Schuey jnr has wrapped up the F3 title with a round to spare.

Did something just gel with him in the second half of the season, as previous to this he was an okay driver but not really top class stuff? Then he just starting walking away with it and dominated.

18. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I've read that basically he got quali sorted. With all the cars being so equal, it's a much bigger part of F3. Prema apparently put a lot of time away from the track into his quali performances.

19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

What are the rules on testing outside of race weekends? If you're exceedingly rich can you just take a F3 car and do laps on a private track for a week?

20. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think according to this (article 22.4-ish), the limit is 6 days of private testing per driver per season, plus the 6 official test days.

So yes, in theory Prema could have given Mick an intense course in qualifying, but there are limits in place. I don't know how flush the F3 grid is as to whether many teams can actually run that much private testing.