1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sport Other than Football - formerly the Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Sep 20, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Our previous chairman gets really shirty when people neglect to call him Sir Alan.

I get shirty when the glorified talent show judge with less business acumen than a market stall trader tries to claim any part of our current success is in any way related to his decade of stagnation and relegation battles.

2. Rejoining the VAR debate..... England's Anthony Watson just got a yellow card for a high tackle on the call from the video ref when it was clear the French player was falling at the time so not at normal shoulder height.

Normally get things right in rugby....... <doh>

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I agree totally.
    You can't criticise someone for not breaking the rules.
    If you think the rules are inadequate then do something to get them changed.
    The reality is that any medication is performance enhancing. The need for the medication and its effects will be different for every individual. But every athlete who takes it gains some benefit and some enhancement of performance. If it's done within the rules, how can you single out any individual on the basis of some subjective view that the medication was or wasn't needed to some greater or lesser degree?

5. humanbeingincroydon

Yes, they should be pinpointing Mo Farah instead...

6. <yikes>

7. humanbeingincroydon

Here's a story that should be getting more coverage than it actually has.

A few days ago WWE announced that, at this year's WrestleMania, there will be a battle royale for their women's division named in honour of The Fabulous Moolah, which is all part of the cynical PR campaign they've been on for the past three years by trying to position the company at the forefront of female empowerment that has always come across as horrifically forced.

However, there's a slight problem with this: Fabulous Moolah set back women's wrestling by at least three decades during her career, and was responsible for some incredibly ****ty business practices.

First and foremost, Moolah was a terrible wrestler whose offence mainly consisted of hair pulling and catfighting, yet she also trained every one of her students (which made up the vast majority of female wrestlers in North America between the 60s and 80s) in the exact same style, which meant she kept herself relevant as she was able to point at the next generation coming through and say "See? I'm as good as them, so why not book me on your shows as well?"

More than that, though, the way she treated her trainees was monstrous. First of all, all of her trainees were required to live in one of her many condos and pay Moolah rent, and if they didn't they wouldn't get booked for shows - and, as all of Moolah's trainees had to sign contracts handing over control of their careers, Moolah essentially had a monopoly on getting female talent booked and refusing to comply was essentially career death. If that wasn't enough, she would also skim off the top of whatever her trainees were paid - or to be more accurate, skim the 10% off the bottom of the fee and hand it to the trainee and keep the rest for herself. Yet somehow she managed to go even worse than that, with several of her former trainees telling how Moolah would literally pimp them out and (of course) pocket the money for herself.

Of course WWE thought they could ignore this and highlight Moolah's importance in company history, citing the match she had against Wendi Richter at Madison Square Garden that aired on MTV in 1984...although ignoring that, when Richter got into a contract dispute with WWE, they quickly booked a rematch where they instructed Moolah and the referee to get the title off Richter by any means possible without telling Richter she was losing - and, no, this isn't a wrestling storyline, they literally had Moolah (in disguise) hold Richter down and the ref count the pinfall in spite Richter kicking out, just to show her who was boss (immediately after the match, Richter left the arena still in her ring gear and hailed a car to the airport, not returning to WWE for another 25 years)

All of this has been well-known by wrestling fans for at least a decade, yet WWE thought they could ignore this and prove how they empower women by naming a marquee match in honour of someone who did the exact opposite of empowering women for decades - and only reversed their decision when those wrestling fans informed their corporate sponsors about Moolah's history, which led to a half-assed backtracking where WWE's stance was they would change the name but not give a reason why because they didn't do anything wrong, which probably has something to do with having Moolah as a part of their product sporadically between the early 80s and her death in 2007 as well as inducting her into their Hall of Fame.

8. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

OK peeps, the Marmite sport returns on Sunday morning, or Saturday if you are going to watch Quali. So for those who like Marmite, whats going to happen? Will Lewis or Seb make it 5? Will Max or Daniel get their first? Will McLaren and Renault come to the party? Will it be a one horse race or go down to the wire? What do people think about the Halo? I wish I could have one on my kit car! I think that they look great.

9. humanbeingincroydon

So nobody giving a toss about the boat race this year?

Or any year?

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Nope. Anyway it's fixed, given the same 2 teams always reach the final.

11. humanbeingincroydon

If only I was terrible at every single subject at school but was really good at rowing, then I could've gone to Oxbridge.

Well it worked for Boris Johnson...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. littleDinosaurLuke

Lewis will be hard to beat.
    Seb needs to be driving something better than a Ferrari (the Liverpool of F1)

deedub93 likes this.
  13. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Nando to get about four podium finishes this year. Ocon and Perez to hit each other only twice. Kimi to be leading four races in front of Vettel when he ‘develops power loss’. Hamilton to win the championship.

deedub93 likes this.
  14. humanbeingincroydon

You know how they say a picture can say a thousand words?

please log in to view this image

15. littleDinosaurLuke

Scotland unlucky to lose to the Windies in the cricket World Cup qualifier.
    c Duckworth b Lewis

16. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

c Umpire b ICC Ruling !!!!
    I’m surprised there hasn’t been a wee rant from our resident woad-slapper! (Hi Spurf! <cheers>)

17. littleDinosaurLuke

27-9 and 58 all out <yikes><yikes><yikes>

18. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Ridiculous total maybe all those weeks away from home are taking their toll

SpursDisciple likes this.
  19. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

So unlucky. Especially as the last lbw looked down the leg side. If that's not given Scotland are ahead of run rate.

20. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

I'm sure you are right but only Root, Bairstow and Ali (I believe) have been there for the 2 main forms of the game. The rest have had time at home.