1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How would that work with away games ?

Many have found Ifollow a satisfactory service.....but other have not been so impressed......I at times have been frustrated with the picture freezing and taking ten seconds or so to reappear.....I think at times I have had a different lone commentator...when others have had a commentator and someone else...quite often an ex-player summarizing etc.....I have had another match being commentated on for the first ten minutes as well....followed with an apology. I have had a match start without a commentary for up to ten minutes...followed with an apology....also Exeter early kick-off commentary and chat about the Chiefs next up coming match....which I'm not interested in....I assume that is because we're linked into Radio Devon commentary.

Quite often the commentator is on the opposite side to the camera and is not seeing the same pictures as we are anyway....so cannot explain what we're seeing.

A pre-match team talk might just be starting...and Ifollow cuts straight into that moment with it's advertising.

So Ifollow leaves a lot to be desired at times from my experience.....could the picture freezing be down to my computer needing "cleaning up"....it has been noticed by me that some of the recent games....Charlton, Shrewsbury & Oxford....(12 goals against) have been a perfect bleddy picture with no problems.....I assume that is sods law sticking two fingers in the air.when you might prefer no picture at all.

So would this new set-up be any better and what would it cost.....and also would it cover away matches... as I have already mentioned ...or just link up with the local home system and an Argyle remote commentator ?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I have to say iFollow fell over on Saturday. I missed the last 2 goals we conceded, perhaps it was a blessing.

The home commentator on Saturdsy was late arriving: apparently there was some traffic incident and he had to do the last 3.5 miles on foot.

It may be that this new contractor makes the home pictures but we still have to watch them via iFollow. The content may be better but the transmission the same.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Yes he kept telling us about his ordeal...I at least had the same commentary as you on Saturday.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

LEAGUE ONE TEAM OF THE SEASON 2020/21

Lee Burge..........................Sunderland
    Callum Elder......................Hull
    Mark Beevers....................Peterborough
    Robert Atkinson...............Oxford
    Luke O'Nien......................Sunderland
    Aiden McGeady................Sunderland
    George Honeyman..........Hull
    Jorge Grant.......................Lincoln
    Joe Ward...........................Peterborough
    Jonson Clarke-Harris.......Peterborough
    Charlie Wyke....................Sunderland

Grant McCann..................Hull......Manager

So only FOUR of those players at Home Park tomorrow....and guess what....none of them in a green shirt.

Maybe we had the Tea Trolly Girl Of the year ?

Not sure who has selected them......maybe Sky ?

How near would an Argyle Player be.....maybe Michael Cooper....and he would be 4th or 5th choice.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Joe Edwards has been voted player of the season.....Mike Cooper was runner up just beating Conor Grant who came third.

Mike Cooper was voted young player of the season.....Luke Jephcott was runner up...with Kelland Watts coming third.

PS.....Luke Jephcott has now gone 18 games without scoring....I'd expect he would of gained more votes in both sections if he had score during the second half of the season regularly.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talk from Newcastle is that Kelland Watts will next season go out on loan to a Championship side.....I'm not sure if he could hold a first team spot down at the higher level.....he held the position at Argyle all season...until an injury side lined him for a while.....but I think he lacks discipline and at times was up field too often.

7. notDistantGreen

Someone's just signed a contract... Danny Mayor?

8. notDistantGreen

No it's Mike Cooper signing until 2024.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Signing Cooper until 2024 is a no brainer for Argyle.....he could be quite valuable in a year or two.....on the other hand Jephcott....18 games without a sniff of a goal is not out of contract this summer....so luckily no decision needed there.

10. notDistantGreen

Jephcott will score goals when he's in a team that makes the chances for him. That's why he scored a lot at the start of the season when we were playing really well and stopped when we started to struggle.

11. notDistantGreen

Just on Cooper... it may well be a no brainer but I'm sure the lad has an agent and the club have had to put a contract, a pen and Michael Cooper all in a room at the same time and all of a mind to make a deal and a three year one at that. Don't underestimate the effort to get there and the achievement it is.

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the new deal with Cooper is good for both parties. We get a keeper with potential who should only get better with experience. He gets to play regularly where he probably wouldn't if he went up a notch and not many lower ones would want a youngster to risk. Pleased he has signed anyway.

13. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

It's never easy , but it helps a lot when you are dealing with a player who sees pafc as 'his club' - Absolutely great business for all concerned!

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Still one game to go before the end of this season and here are some stats that we have achieved this campaign... wherever I have found them it matters not....but they are true..

1.....39 goals against at home in a season is the worst ever since joining the Football League in 1920/21.

2.....79 goals conceded is the 3rd highest since 1965.

3.....Swindon are the only team to
    concede more goals in the Football League this season.

Pick the positives out of that....this season has been difficult for all teams not just Argyle.

When building a successful team you generally strengthen by adding a few better players each season....we probably need to find 15/20 better new players for next season just to stay in this Division.....I fear a repeat under Ryan Lowe.....I hope to be proved wrong.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The way Ryan Lowe was talking post match....seems to be hinting that Luke McCormick might be retiring ?

He gave him a few minutes yesterday and is promising him game time next week as well....that means that Luke will reach the 350 game milestone.

Will he be staying at the club in another role and still be available as an emergency back-up keeper ?

Also talk that Jack Ruddy....third keeper....hasn't been seen around the club in the last few weeks.

Sam Woods (Palace) and Adam Lewis (Liverpool)...both have injuries....have returned to their parent clubs.

Jerome Opoku who received a red yesterday has played his last game this season for Argyle.

So we're struggling for defenders....but of course we were struggling even with them.....so some young blood maybe at Gillingham.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Maybe a load of new supporters who actually try at least at some point to find something to be positive about rather than just slag the players and management off at every turn could be the place to start. Unlikely though isn't it. I do wonder where you got the figures from though...............hmmmmm pasoti maybe.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It matters not were the figures come from....there actual facts aren't they....not anyone's thoughts or fancies.

We've had some diabolical managerial implosions over a 100 years of League Football....but it's taken until this season to ship 39 goals during a home season.....to ship the third highest total goals 79... against in a season since 1965.....and to be the second worst defence behind Swindon in the Football League this season....try being positive about those real facts that might be quoted on pasoti...or GoS or BBC Sport or Sky football.....they will be the same wherever you look.

We might pass the total goals against from two years ago at Gillingham on Sunday if we don't watch it.

Ryan Lowe must think himself lucky that he hasn't had to contend with the green army every week letting him know from behind the dugout of what they think of his wide open defensive style.

How will he go about changing his selection of incoming players this summer....and will he stop relying on inexperienced youngsters from wherever to be his main defenders.....and how will his retain and let go lists look in just a short time from now.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You miss my point which doesn't really surprise me. It's not disputing the "facts" as you put it. It's the ease with which supposed supporters don't support at all and find anything no matter how big or small to moan for fecking England. They have to have somebody to stick a knife into. It actually matters not how many goals we shipped does it or whether it is a record total in the end. We have not been relegated and in fact nowhere near it. There you go a positive for this season where everyone was talking about cementing League One football rather than rebounding immediately. That was a popular view on the site you take quotes from constantly. We achieved it which is positive number two. See it isn't hard is it. Lets not celebrate anything ever. We'll just tut shall we. Your second last para I read earlier on pasoti. One of the clones said exactly that. Your last para is what we should be discussing when we actually see who is coming and who isn't. However I will add that it is the custom to be underwhelmed by any signing no matter who it is. The next criticism will be that Hallett doesn't invest in the team. The fact he has bunged Argyle around 10 million of his own cash will be forgotten. If you don't like what the manager does or how the players play or pretty much anything about the club then don't follow it. You'll only end up with an Ulcer.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Your obsessed with pasoti aren't you....I generally go to GoS to check facts about Argyle.....and having the worst home match defence in a 100yrs can be checked on there.

If I don't like what the manager does I will comment....pasoti doesn't come into the equation....and your obsession with pasoti is your problem.

I was born in Devonport and I'll support my home team whatever your views....there are supporters who were born elsewhere other than Plymouth....if they want to support Argyle great....but it doesn't have to be so inclusive....Joe is a Spurs man....I think it is where he comes from.....no problem with that.....I always check Bromley....I was a regular in my teens down Hayes Lane when they were one of the big amateur teams in England of the 1950's whilst playing in the Isthmian league.

20. notDistantGreen

If you remember, it was said that Lowe's mantra was " they can score 3 but we'll score 4". Defence isn't his priority: he doesn't want to park the bus but to drive it into the opposition's penalty box at 70 mph.

Defenders are picked on their ability to pass the ball as much as defend. It's the modern way.

Now fair enough, that hasn't worked quite to plan and we've done too much of the conceding 3 and not enough of the scoring 4.

The principal reason for that is errors by inexperienced CBs which have left us chasing games, which makes us exposed to conceding more, often from early on in games.

It's not a fault of the playing style but of the players executing it. Lowe has accepted that but good recruitment needs to follow. We could hardly expect a better owner than Simon Hallett but equally, as Sensible says, we can't expect millions more for players. There are no guarantees.

The other thing is that we have been missing significant players for long periods: George Cooper and Lewis Macleod.

Cooper and Mayor were a real force last season, albeit in League 2, and personally I think they'd have made a difference this year too. They'd have given the opposition more of a threat to deal with and inhibited them from attacking us. We could have been the ones going 1-0 up with the tactical advantage that brings.

Yes, it's been a frustrating end to a season but I can't wait to be back in the stadium next season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.