1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I checked when 'we' started spring last year...and it was March 6th......so better late than never.

Encouraging win tonight against Portsmouth....nine games left to improve on our present 68pts to stay in the play-offs.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Simon Hallett has confirmed that two cheques from Chelsea have cleared the bank....estimated as between £350,000 & £400,000 in value....phew that could of been a disaster.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is that each or together?

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Together. The big one is for the FA Cup game and a small (£30k?) being the fee for the lad they nicked off us. Details are on the club website.

5. notDistantGreen

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Panutche Camara scores his first goal for his country.......Guinea-Bissau...3-0...Equatorial Guinea.

7. notDistantGreen

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh well that's sorted then. If only life was that predictable.

9. notDistantGreen

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh well that's that sorted then. If only....................

I don't know why any of our players would even want to go to a small club like that.........

11. notDistantGreen

I wanted to buy 5 tickets for cash for Sunderland: the usual 4 Flexi ticket holders plus one other for a visiting relative. Although I can buy tickets for cash for the 4 Flexi's during the Flexi sales period, I couldn't buy the 5th ticket: fair enough I suppose.

So I put 5 tickets into my basket at 9:15 this morning as a sort of ad hoc temporary reservation system. There were plenty available at that stage. I then had to go out until 11:15 or so. By then, my basket had emptied of course but a swarm of locusts had gone through the tickets available. Just single tickets left and the only ones now vacant are in Blocks 18 & 19 where I'm not going after recent events down there.

Bad news for me but good for the club: pretty much a sell out within 1 day of tickets going on general sale.

12. notDistantGreen

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe not notDistant.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm a Janner born and bred and am really proud of my National Anthem. Turgid indeed.

I go to the Hyde Park Social Club for a beer after the games and they allow away supporters in there for a nominal day pass so as not offend members. The Lady what does the bar told us on the last visit that they had pre bookings for 250 Sunderland persons. She had more requests but had to limit the numbers due to Staff availability. She has however given them another room from the main bar area so we apparently don't have to mix. I talk to away fans that go there after a game pretty much every time and have no problem with a bit of banter with them. Mind you 250 might be a tad too much in a room half full of Argyle fans as well. Think they have sold out their allocation already. Going to be a bigger match for them than it is for us I suspect.

15. notDistantGreen

My other half is from Somerset and a one-time Young Farmer to boot but I don't think the Wurzels' "I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester" is particularly representative of her or the fine county she hails from!

Plymouth is beautiful (in places) and has a wonderful maritime history. Particularly because of the latter, it has a sense of identity that other cities that might consider themselves more significant just don't have. We lived near Leicester for 2 years and about the only part of that city that had an identity was the vibrant Hindu community, which really was the light & soul.

Nevertheless, it's a sh1t song and whilst we're discussing inclusivity, the club should remember it has fans from the rest of Devon and a lot from East and North Cornwall. It's true that beyond Truro, in the old mining towns, rugby tends to dominate.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

How very dare you. Plymouth Argyle is the club from the City it says on the tin. People from that City are Janners. It's our song you bloody interloper you. And there is nothing wrong with a bit of Adge Cutler and his Worzels either. I've done many a chorus of "Twice Daily" in my Naval days.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I think we should go for ....."The GREEN GREEN grass of home".....but not in a welsh accent.

18. notDistantGreen

Or Trelawney.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I note you haven't said where your origins are notistant. Are you hinting that you are from the wrong side of the Tamar or even further foreign?

20. notDistantGreen

A proud Cornishman, back as far as all 4 grandparents at least Sensible.

Dad's family seem to be from the Millbrook area. Grandad on that side went across on the ferry to the Grammar school and later qualified as a teacher at what'snow Marjon. Served as a warrant officer with the DCLI in Mesopotamia in WW1, mentioned in dispatches, and commanded a Cornish Home Guard platoon in WW2 a la Captain Mainwaring.

Mum's from clay country. Grandad on that side was I think an electrical engineer type in the Devonport Navy in WW1, then worked in the Dockyard. In WW2 he worked in the radio station alongside the A30 South of Bodmin which carried long wave military communications.

Dad was too young for WW2 but could remember seeing the fires from the Plymouth blitz from 40 miles away: probably the oil tanks opposite Devonport, which I think were hit. He did National Service in the RAF being offered flight crew training but declined it as it was unlikely he'd have been allowed to drive. Thereafter, his service seems to have consisted of playing various sports, including being taxied down to Wales in a 2 seat Meteor jet to play rugby for his Group. Tough life..

I first came to Home Park at about 5 yrs old with Dad & his Dad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.