1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I don't think Plan B is or ought to be a hulking great centre forward battling it out for long throws and big hoofs out from the back. It's just too far from Plan A and a squad that's been brought in to perform Plan A.

However... Plan A.1 consists of playing it out through the thirds to nippy strikers running into the channels. When it works well, Mayor is key to that because he can manoeuvre the ball in the middle third. Because of the type of strikers we have to deliver Play A, none of them are going to prosper unless the rest of the team functions well.

That's all fine If there's space and various sides have found ways to stop that, either by a high press or man-marking Houghton on the one hand or dropping so deep there's no space to run into. We do need to find Plans A.2 and A.3 that counteract those tactics... perhaps Randell alongside Houghton so the back 3 have 2 outlets not 1 and Mayor or somebody playing in the hole rather than on the left (sort of 3:1:3:1:2) so they have to defend both sides not just the left.

I notice elsewhere that Camara has got a 9/10 ratting from Plym compared to the other midfielders' 6's and 7's. Now you and I know that his athleticism is 9/10, his competitiveness is 9/10, his running is 9/10 but his shooting and final pass are very often quite a bit lower than a 6. I think Mayor is the one truly outstanding outfield player we have although I agree he needs to pressed to release the ball quickly when the opportunity arises.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think a forward who can head the ball is a must for any team....we do not threaten any team in the air....other than someone like Scarr occasionally.

I think Schumacher has worked hard on Mayor since taking over.....improvements can be seen...
    especially in defending when needed.....but we need more goals from midfield and we're not getting them with Mayor or Camara or Houghton so something has to change......of those three one isn't going anywhere......unless a big fee is forthcoming.

That was hard work using my mobile.....my stubby fingers need a stylus pen to tap the right button.

3. notDistantGreen

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Play-Off Semi-Final.

Wycombe W...2-0...MK Dons......ten man Dons hang in there for the second leg.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Play-Off Semi-Final.

Sunderland...1-0...Sheffield W........Wednesday should be pleased with that result.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

44000 there wow..

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe there was 20,000 Newcastle supporters shouting for Sheffield W ?

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

SHOCK HORROR....no match day thread today.....all the other leagues still playing......and we're half-way through the semi-finals as well......no excuse now not to go shopping with the wife.

PS.........I was going to use the saying...'.Golly Gosh'.....which in the dictionary is a term meaning to be.....mildly surprised.

But in this politically correct and racist watchers age some people would jump on that as being derogatory towards black people.....so ....'SHOCK HORROR'....will have to do.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Semi-Final.....Second leg.

MK Dons...1-0...Wycombe W.....(1-2)

Wycombe off to Wembley.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mike Cooper has been selected for the EFL EA Sports FIFA 22...Team of the Season.

The only keeper selected.

Also selected is Div 2 top scorer of the season Dom Telford......didn't show that sought of form whilst at Argyle.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sheffield W...1-1...Sunderland.......(1-2).

So.......5th...v...6th.

Final.......Wycombe W...v...Sunderland.......Didn't expect that Final.

12. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not that bothered if honest. It doesn't really matter to us except the distance we travel to an away game. I have a little feeling tha the final might be a surprise to some. 44000 at least. Whatever you think of Wycombe there is no denying they can compete and Ainsworth works miracles there.

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  13. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I'm surprised no one has commented on the new telly we are having installed. Am sure all clubs are the same , but supporters have been demanding one for years and now we have one coming, apparently it is a waste of money!

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I thought some of the regulars might have mentioned it Lyndy.....can't quite see it from N W Kent.

15. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I sadly remember the score board we installed what seems a long time ago now. It was crap and hardly ever worked. If honest I'm not bothered if we have one or not. I watch the games so can't see the point. Replays? Well I'd guess some want that. I'd rather have a player signed.

16. notDistantGreen

There has been comment about it: predominately asking why it's to be sited where seats will be lost instead of in the two "void" corners, particularly the one where the Devonport End meets the Mayflower Grandstand. It's something of an eyesore presently.

Apparently the reasoning is that advertising on it will bring in more than seats that are only filled when the stadium is at capacity (6 times last season) and that it has to be visible from the Mayflower so that sponsors and potential advertisers can see it.

17. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Lets not allow the facts to get in the way some fairly absurd theories! More people (99% of seats) will be able to see it when it is positioned where planned. This is more than any other location. Funnily enough we used an expert in big screens in stadium to advise us about the location.

18. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Even I can see them well from Vancouver...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.