1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring / Summer / Autumn / Winter PFC News

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Reports suggest Portsmouth are interested in Scunthorpe United midfielder Matthew Lund

please log in to view this image

According to Phil Cadden from The Sun, the League One contenders are interested in signing the 28 year old 6' tall Iron midfielder, who has enjoyed a profitable pre-season.

Lund made 27 appearances for the Iron last season, but missed most of the second half of the season with a degenerative bone condition, which he needed surgery on. He has recovered from that and was one of the stand-out performers during pre-season, netting a hat-trick against Alfreton Town.

He started his career at Stoke City, and has won 3 full international caps with Northern Island.
    The transfer window for Premier League and Championship closes at 5pm today, but for League One and League Two clubs it remains open until Monday, September 2. Therefore, if a deal was to happen, the sides do have another three or so weeks to complete it.

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth weigh up approach from Dutch side Volendam for youngster Leon Maloney

Pompey are weighing up sending Leon Maloney to Holland for a brief period. The fledgling forward has the option to train with Dutch second-tier side Volendam for two weeks. And that could turn into a loan switch until around Christmas should he impress.

Maloney netted 16 goals in 22 appearances for Mark Kelly’s academy side last season, while he made his first-team debut as a substitute in the EFL Trophy at Southend.

That earned the Isle of Wight talent a third-year scholarship at Fratton Park, along with Brad Lethbridge and Joe Hancott.

Maloney featured in reserve games against Bognor, Aldershot and Woking this summer – but isn’t in Kenny Jackett’s plans for this campaign’s League One promotion push. There’s a chance the 18-year-old could go to Volendam, though, and the Pompey boss feels it would enhance his development.

Jackett said: 'We’re looking at it. There's a request he could go out there and gain some experience, which might be good for him. After that, it’s whether they want to take him on loan'.

‘We’d have to suspend his scholarship but there are ways around it.

‘It’s about making sure, however, you do it legally. It still makes him available for the games that he can play here.

'It’s slightly different than the pro system but in the main you are still dealing with minors and it needs the care and protection.

‘It is an option for him and it would be a good experience for him to go out there for the two weeks. ‘If they do want to take him on loan then there’ll be discussions in terms of where they see him playing.

‘We’d have to give him a pro contract, but it can be done on exactly the same terms and it would be no different for the club in terms of finance.

‘It’s just a switch in contract to a standard pro contract and then it makes the loan far easier.’

Jackett and Kelly were set to discuss the plan for Maloney today, along with their aims for Lethbridge and Hancott.

The manager added: ‘We have a meeting on all the young guys because we have two reserve competitions and the EFL Trophy starts in early September.

‘There’s some planning to see who’s likely to play in that game and who's available first-team-wise.

‘Sometimes you need those games if you’ve been poor and other times you need to change it. ‘The young guys need to be available but we do need a plan for them as well.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth eyeing Liverpool midfielder Herbie Kane

Herbie Kane (right)
    Pompey are monitoring Liverpool’s Herbie Kane.

The 5' 9" tall attacking midfielder enjoyed a successful loan spell at Doncaster Rovers last season.

The Champions League holders have again earmarked the 20-year-old for loan experience during the current campaign.

It is understood that scenario has brought Kane to the attention of the Blues, with the League One and League Two transfer window open until September 2.

The former England under-17 international has been tipped for a bright future at Anfield, signing a new deal in December 2018.

Last term’s initial six-month stay at Doncaster developed into a season-long presence, making 49 appearances and scoring seven times.

Kenny Jackett has this summer recruited eight players to bolster Pompey’s promotion aspirations.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Sign Six New Scholars

Pompey's scholars (l-r): Seokjae Lee, Charlie Bell, Harvey Rew, Harrison Brook, Gerard Storey, Harry Anderson. Photo: Colin Farmery

Six young Pompey players have signed apprenticeships at Fratton Park.

Harry Anderson, Charlie Bell, Harrison Brook, Seokjae Lee, Harvey Rew and Gerard Storey have penned two-year deals with the Blues academy.

Three of the players hail from Portsmouth, while Anderson and Storey have arrived from Northern Ireland and Lee was born in South Korea.

Academy manager Mark Kelly said: “It’s always an exciting day for the new scholars and their first step into the football club as full-time players.

“We’ve had some of the boys with us since they were very young and it’s going to be a long journey for them.

“They’ve done excellently to get to this point and now the real hard work begins as they try to become professional footballers.

“I’m really pleased with the staff we’ve got here and they can provide a real support mechanism for the boys.

“It’s a journey for them in the next 18 months. They dream of becoming professional footballers, but we want them to be the best they can be every day.

“We have to set the standards high for all of them, so that they can go on to excel in any walk of life.

“It’s important for us to keep the conveyor belt going and see some of them take to the pitch at Fratton Park because over the past few years we’ve seen some top young talent come through.”

We asked the new apprentices to introduce themselves…

Harry Anderson
    Position: Centre-forward
    I can’t wait to get started, push towards my professional debut and score as many goals as possible. I’ve represented my country at U16 and U17 level, and won the Northern Ireland Cup in 2015 at my old club Portadown. I scored three goals in two games for the Portadown first team.

Charlie Bell
    Position: Forward
    I have lived in Portsmouth all my life and went to Mayfield School. I have been at Pompey since the age of six. I was called into the U23 squad, which was a massive achievement for me and a great experience. I like to think of myself as an attacking player and have played everywhere across the front positions, but also in the centre of midfield and had some of my best games there last season. My ambitions are to break into the first team by the end of my second year, to sign a professional contract with Portsmouth and play many games for them. I would also love to be called up to the England squad. I am hoping to become a better player by the end of my apprenticeship and improve my overall game. My other hobbies are going to the gym and playing snooker. My manager Shaun North has influenced me massively, bringing out the best in me and making me the player I am today.

Harrison Brook
    Position: Winger
    I went to Langstone Junior School and Mayfield Academy, winning the Portsmouth Schools Cup in my final year. I’ve been at the club for seven years and have played in numerous positions. My main ambition is to play for my hometown club and then go on to represent my country. I enjoy playing my Xbox and spending time with my family. My main role models in football are George Best for the way he played and Cristiano Ronaldo because of his story and what he’s been through to get to the top.

Seokjae Lee
    Position: Centre-forward
    I was born in South Korea, then moved to England in 2015. I’ve been at this club for two years and am grateful to play for them. I see myself as a striker, but like to play as an attacking midfielder and winger as well. Hopefully I will sign a pro contract with Pompey.

Harvey Rew
    Position: Centre-back/Left-back
    I’ve been at Pompey since U13 level. I’m a left-sided centre-back and also play at left-back, where I started when I signed for the club. I have eight caps for Wales U17, the latest of which came in the Euro U17 qualifiers in October. My aim for the season is to be involved with the first team squad for any competition and my eventual ambition is to be captain, playing week in, week out for the club I love.

Gerard Storey
    Position: Midfielder
    My achievements over the past few years include representing and captaining my country, winning the Super Cup with my county and scoring in the final, making my senior debut for Portadown at 16 and playing 1,063 minutes, and signing a two-year scholarship with Portsmouth. My interests away from football are boxing and golf. My role models are my mum, my grandpa, Paul Pogba and Floyd Mayweather.

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey apparently are considering offloading 23 year old midfielder Bryn Morris, just eight months after his move from Shrewsbury Town, due to ongoing injury problems, according to the Portsmouth News. A permanent sale or loan could be on the cards.

Unfortunately, he certainly appears to be injury prone !!

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Nathan Thompson: Peterborough United sign former Portsmouth defender

Peterborough United have signed former Portsmouth defender Nathan Thompson after he turned down a new contract.

The 28-year-old spent two years with Portsmouth after joining from Swindon, where he started his career, in 2017.

"I will be honest and say that I am very surprised we have been able to get him," manager Darren Ferguson told the club's official website.

"When he left Portsmouth, he was going to the Championship, but for whatever reason it didn't come through."

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Released Millwall player could join Portsmouth.

JAMES Meredith is training with Portsmouth after the termination of his Millwall contract earlier this month.

Meredith, 31, left the Lions after two seasons and could now link up with former Millwall boss Kenny Jackett at the League One club.

According to The News' chief sports writer Neil Allen, the left-back trained with the club on Friday. Pompey could snap up the former Bradford defender on a free transfer.

The 6' 1" Australian international left back can apparently also play at centre half, and in midfield.

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

A report from the Daily Record has claimed that League One side Portsmouth are keen on a deal for young defender Calvin Miller, who is currently playing for Scottish Premiership side Celtic.

Celtic are looking to move on some of their fringe players before the transfer window comes to an end next Monday, with young defender Calvin Miller one who could be heading for the exit door. Now, it has been reported that League One side Portsmouth are interested in bringing him in.

Pompey are looking at bringing in another left-back, and are currently casting their eye over former Millwall and Bradford City defender James Meredith. But another option that has emerged is Miller, who is behind new signing Boli Bolingoli in the pecking order at Celtic Park.

The 21-year-old has made his way through the youth academy with Celtic and has broken through into senior football over the course of the last season. He has spent time on loan with Dundee (16 appearances, one goal and three assists) and Ayr United (14 appearances, one assist) and has played for the Celtic youth sides on multiple occasions.

Miller has also played five times for the Celtic senior side, making his debut in 2016 in a 1-0 win over Partick Thistle. He has played in multiple positions but plays mainly at left-back or on the left side of midfield. The youngster has played for Scotland’s Under-15s, Under-16s, Under-17s, Under-19s and Under-21s, making a total of 31 appearances for the nation’s youth ranks.

With under a week of the transfer window remaining for Pompey, it awaits to be seen if they look to strike a deal for Miller.

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Promising Portsmouth defender Matt Casey in line to depart to non-league outfit Eastbourne.

19 year old, 6'8" central defender Matt Casey is set to join National League South club Eastbourne Borough on loan. They are managed by ex- Pompey striker, and Hawks manager Lee Bradbury.

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth, Bolton and Fleetwood Town are all reported to be interested in signing 32 year old Graham Dorrans after the midfielder had his Rangers contract terminated yesterday.

According to the Daily Express, as quoted by Football Scotland, the EFL trio are all considering a move for the veteran after two injury-hit seasons at Ibrox were brought to a premature end.

Dorrans has barely played over the last two years after suffering an ankle injury in Pedro Caixinha’s final match in charge that kicked off an injury nightmare that’s blighted Dorrans’ return to Scottish football.

The 5' 10" former Scotland international had been reported to be close to joining Kilmarnock but the Express report that the Ayrshire side can’t afford a permanent deal for the midfielder.

Dorrans only manager 28 appearances during his time at Ibrox and was one of several fringe players to leave yesterday as Jason Holt and Jake Hastie both went out on loan with Dorrans and Dodoo had their contracts ended early.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth hand trial to former AFC Wimbledon winger.

Pompey have taken former AFC Wimbledon winger Nathan Wood on trial. The 20-year-old is bidding to impress Kenny Jackett during a week-long stay with the Blues

Wood, who is a free agent, has been flagged up to Pompey as a talented winger, capable of playing on either flank.

He actually featured against Pompey in July, coming off the bench as a triallist for Woking in the Blues’ 4-2 pre-season victory.

Last term he turned out for Walton Casuals, making 31 appearances and scoring once for the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League side.

During the campaign, he was also loaned out to Herne Bay and Molesey, while reportedly was offered a trial by Charlton.

Kenny Jackett said: ‘Nathan did his apprenticeship at AFC Wimbledon and was with Woking earlier this season.

‘He is a winger, right or left, and we’re just having a look at him and seeing how he does.

‘We’ve already seen him play against us in pre-season, he came on as a substitute for Woking.

‘Nathan is somebody who has been flagged up and we are happy to have a look at him this week.’

Former Norwich and Bromley right-sided player Richard Brindley continues to train with Pompey, as does James Meredith.

Jackett added: ‘Richard Brindley is still training with us and is 100 per cent looking for a club.

‘If it gets around to the Premier League Cup next week, we will go as strong as possible for our game at Doncaster and he can help us as well.

‘It works both ways – he is benefiting and helping the squad too.’

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth defender Matt Casey poised for Havant & Waterlooville loan switch.

The Pompey centre-back is poised to move to the Westleigh Park side and will be available for their FA Cup second qualifying round tie against Taunton Town on Saturday.

19 year old Casey is a product of the Blues’ academy and featured three times on the way to Checkatrade Trophy glory last season.

His encouraging progress was rewarded with a maiden professional contract at Fratton Park earlier this summer.

However, Casey’s yet to make an appearance for Kenny Jackett’s side this campaign.

He was earmarked to feature for the reserves against the Hawks in the Hampshire Senior Cup on Wednesday night but that fixture was postponed.

But Kenny Jackett confirmed today the Botley defender will join Paul Doswell’s men on loan and could make his debut on Saturday.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Harvey Rew Pens Professional Deal - Academy defender handed contract

Harvey Rew has signed his first professional contract with Pompey.

The 17-year-old academy defender has penned a two-year deal, with the club holding an option for a further year.

Rew – who can also play in midfield – is yet to make a first team appearance for the Blues, but has represented Wales U16s and U17s.

Academy manager Mark Kelly said: “Harvey has shown plenty of promise, with some really consistent performances at academy and international level.

“This contract is well deserved, but there’s still a long way for him to go and this is simply the next step on the footballing ladder.

“Other sides have been looking at him, but Harvey is a Pompey boy and really wants to play for this club.”

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth, Burton Albion and Peterborough United all thought to be keen on Cheltenham Town's former Bristol Rovers midfielder Ryan Broom.

Portsmouth and Burton Albion are both thought to be keen on Cheltenham Town's 23 year old Ryan Broom.

Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson was at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium on Tuesday night to watch the Welsh born 5' 10" attacking midfielder create one, score another and win man of the match in the 3-0 win over Macclesfield Town.

Burton were interested in signing Broom last season and they are one of at least three League One clubs weighing up a January move for the 23-year-old, who signed a new two-year deal with the Robins in the summer.

Broom joined Cheltenham following his release by Bristol Rovers at the end of the 2017/18 campaign.

He spent much of last season playing at right wing-back, but he has excelled in a number 10 role between two deep-lying midfielders and a pair of strikers.

Broom has scored six goals so far this term, already two more than he managed during the whole of his first season with Cheltenham.

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

PORTSMOUTH CONSIDERING SWOOP FOR 25-YEAR-OLD PLAYMAKER.

Portsmouth are considering a move for Motherwell’s Liam Polworth after scouting the 5' 10" midfielder in recent weeks, according to the Daily Record.

Polworth has been a regular in the Motherwell side this term as he started all 12 of their league matches, and he has played a key role in helping Stephen Robinson’s side up to third spot in the Scottish Premiership.

It is now being reported that the 25-year-old, who can play in a variety of roles across midfield, is the subject of interest from Portsmouth who will be on the look-out for improvements to their squad following a disappointing start to the season.

The south-coast outfit are currently sitting 15th in the League One table after winning just four league games this term, and manager Kenny Jackett is now thought to have identified Polworth as a potential signing ahead of the January window.

The Pompey scouting team will now reportedly make a decision on whether to sign the playmaker over the coming weeks, while Polworth will now be preparing for Motherwell’s difficult test against league leaders Celtic on the weekend.

Polworth has made an excellent start to the season following his move to Motherwell over the summer, which means it is no surprise to see him linked with a switch to England in the near future.

The 25-year-old has really kicked on since his move away from Inverness, and he is the profile of player who Portsmouth have every reason to be interested in given that he is still relatively young, but has gained plenty of career experience to date.

He has already registered six assists in the league this season, which means he possesses a creative edge that Portsmouth have perhaps been lacking of late, and he would surely be a positive addition to Jackett’s squad.

pompeydownunder likes this.
  16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Strong rumours abound that Glasgow Rangers, Huddersfield Town and Birmingham City are all trying to sign Pompey's first choice goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray in the January transfer window. Pompey have already told third choice keeper Luke McGee that he can leave Fratton Park next month to seek first team football elsewhere, so that would only leave us with talented youngster Alex Bass, and two academy kids !

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth release youngster - and he's already had Walsall trial.

Pompey are to release their Leasing.com Trophy goal hero Josh Flint.
    The former Fratton Park season-ticket holder is out of contract in January – and has been informed he will not be retained.

Flint scored and also helped himself to an assist in September’s 3-1 Leasing.com Trophy victory over Norwich under-21s.

It represented the Waterlooville teenager’s Blues debut, having emerged through the Academy set-up alongside Bradley Lethbridge, Joe Hancott and Leon Maloney.

He later started the final group match at Oxford United in the same competition, although was substituted at half-time for Gareth Evans in the 2-2 draw.

That has proven to be his final first-team involvement and earlier this week the former Queens Inclosure School pupil trialled at Walsall.

Kenny Jackett said: ‘Josh played for Walsall in a trial game this week and is back with us today.

‘His contract is not being renewed and he is looking for other opportunities.

‘The decision is based on not breaking into the first-team and first-team group, unfortunately there are not enough spaces.’

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth are being linked with a move for Shrewsbury Town's 6' 1" central defender Aaron Pierre.

Pompey are believed to be considering making a bid for the 26-year-old, according to a report by The Portsmouth News.

Pierre, who is a Grenada international with 10 caps to his name, only joined Shrewsbury in June on a three-year deal and has played 21 times in all competitions so far this season.

Pompey are in the hunt for a left-sided centre-back in next month’s transfer window and he fits the bill for them.

Pierre started his career at Fulham before switching to London rivals Brentford as a youngster in 2011. He went on to make three first team appearances for the Bees and also enjoyed loan spells away at Cambridge United and Wycombe Wanderers.

The Chairboys made his move there permanent in May 2014 and he spent three seasons playing for Gareth Ainsworth’s side, playing 149 games altogether and scoring 10 goals from defence.

Northampton moved for him in 2017 but they were relegated from League One in his first campaign at the club. Nevertheless, he impressed for them in League Two last term, bagging eight goals and winning their Player of the Season award.

Shrewsbury lured him away from the Cobblers in the summer and he has already made an impression for Sam Ricketts’ side. They will now face a battle to hold on to him in January with Portsmouth eyeing up a move.

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Haji Mnoga Pens Professional Deal - Academy defender signs contract.

Haji Mnoga has signed his first professional contract with Pompey.

The 17-year-old academy defender has put pen to paper on an 18-month deal, with the club holding an option for a further year

Mnoga – who has represented England at under-17 level – made three appearances for the first team in last season’s EFL Trophy.

He was part of a back-line that kept clean sheets in victories over Crawley and Peterborough, and has recently recovered from a foot injury.

“I’m over the moon,” said Mnoga. “Every boy dreams of getting a professional contract with their hometown club. It’s an early Christmas present for me.

“I like getting forward from right-back, although I can also play in the centre. I always get stuck in and work my socks off.”

Academy manager Mark Kelly said: “It’s very good news for Haji. He’s been part of the club for a long time and it’s a proud occasion for him and his family.

“There’s a lot of developing for him to do now, so he needs to get his head down and keep working hard to push on.

“Haji’s a local boy and now he’ll be looking to mature and find consistent performances, so he can make the next step.

“He’s a strong and tenacious boy. He’ll get up and down the pitch and is very physical, while he can use the ball well.”

Blues boss Kenny Jackett said: “The challenge for him now is to try to push into the team and he’s shown plenty of promise so far.

“He’s a powerful lad and has plenty of pace – he’s got a lot of qualities and I’m sure he’ll get opportunities for us.”

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth are closing in on signing Bromley forward Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, Football Insider understands.

The 21-year-old 6' 3" attacker has been one of the standout performers in the National League this season for Bromley, helping them climb to third spot in the table.

The English attacker has scored eight goals in the 22 appearances he has made for Bromley this season and a host of Football League clubs have been keeping tabs on him as a result.

However, Portsmouth have moved quickly to steal a march on their rivals by setting up a deal with Bromley for the former Charlton forward.

Hackett-Fairchild began his career in the youth ranks of Fulham and Brighton & Hove Albion, before joining Charlton where he made 24 first-team appearances for the Addicks in all competitions, scoring twice.