1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Squad Options & Transfers for 20/21 Season

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by foolee, Jul 18, 2020.

1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I want us to do well, I want us to build on what we have and I don't want relegation but at the same time I don't want to fear it either. I would like to know that if we were to go straight back down we would be favorites for promotion again. If it takes a bounce to get us where we need to be so be it, the thought of another 16 years out the top flight doesn't bare thinking about.

The positions that worry me the most thinking of us in the Premier League are the Keeper, Left Back, Creative Midfield and Striker, maybe CB with White going. Bielsa likes a small squad, we might bring in a few new faces but it's not going to be wholesale changes.

Kiko/Messlier - I'd like to see Kiko moved on, Messlier to become our number 2 and a new #1 Keeper brought in.

Dallas/Douglas/Alioski/Davies - Something has to give and I'd like to see us bring in someone like Larouci at LB. We know Bielsa favours Dallas, he won't let him go, Alioski is another who can fill in more than one space, I'd have Dallas as my back-up RB/LB player and Alioski as my reserve attacker, put Larouci straight in and send out Davies on loan and Douglas moved on.

Eze - Replacement for Pablo who will have to be on the bench? Klich and Phillips are not going to be dropped, we already have Harrison and Costa out wide, whilst I wonder if they are good enough for the PL they are improving and Bielsa obviously wants both

We are already a striker short so Bamford and Roberts can fight out who is number two to a new striker

Struijk - I am hoping he is good enough to replace White, we know he is good cover for Phillips but with Berardi being out with a long term injury we surely need another CB but how hard would it be to find someone who is good enough to fight for a starting spot but won't cause unrest if not picker

bucks_is_leeds and Irishshako like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This kid I heard about 10 days ago and knew Leeds were speaking to Man City about him. Pep wanted Leeds to and Bielsa to coach him. Not sure if those talks broke down but something else may have happened?

“Leeds United are keeping tabs on young striker Charlie McNeill after he rejected a professional deal at Manchester City, according to the Daily Mail.

The newspaper claims that Manchester United are locked in negotiations to sign the 16-year-old goal machine, who has 600 academy goals in his career, but cannot reach a compensation agreement with Man City.”

3. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Whoever we buy need to be prem / first team ready. Not sure why he would want to go the scum, they have a young front three he'd need to get past. But like WJ says, the papers never get our targets right until they've all but signed.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I’m seeing lots of discussion here re loaning players out and Bielsa being reluctant to do so and I see why. Most clubs are relatively similar in terms of tactics and training so it makes sense to let a player move out to gain valuable game time. Not so simple for us. All levels are coached in the Bielsa philosophy at all levels. So where for example, would be the advantage of loaning a player to Gary Monk or Hull or whatever for 12 months? You would actually damage the players prospects long term. Also it’s obvious many players are not able for the rigours of Bielsas regime, eg big Kev, but surely only way to find out is by having them immersed in it daily rather than jogging around with some bang average lower lea
    sorry Ristac but I think relegation would be disaster. Bielsa would not be around to orchestrate another promotion push. We’re up now and need to push on from here. Many teams have dropped back down only to keep dropping

Doc likes this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don’t think Rads has the money for us to push on, he is and always will be a business man. He wants a return on his investment and he has it. For me, it’s job done now with Rads, I’m hoping that big investor takes notice of what a well run club we are with ghosts cleared away and no nasty surprises.

Bielsa might be here another 12 months if we’re lucky and he might get us finishing in the top half but without the big money I’m not expecting much. What is the best realistic position you see us finishing next season?

Championship level with average players Bielsa drummed into them a plan, stick to it follow my rules and I’ll get you to the PL. That won’t be enough next season and quality usually comes with a personality that Bielsa seems to have a problem with.

I want him to stay for a season to stabilise us but without that money I’m not expecting much

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

think we’ll do as well as Sheffield United to be honest

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Radz has just said he wants to be the custodian of Leeds Utd and to be in charge to direct it on its next travels. To me that says he wants investment from either QSI but more than likely 49ers. He will not sell unless he cannot take us to the next level. I believe investment is either here ready or on its way, but he would be left in charge by whichever party invests.

club is now worth £350m so he could sell and walk away with £250m clear profit, but he wont because he has ambition. Think we would just prefer that he sells so the billionaire new owners can bankroll the next stage, but he wont until he knows he cant do it

8. davy

davy Well-Known Member

I think that there's a direct link between Radz staying and Bielsa staying. He won't want to be answerable to a faceless corporate board, and has operated comfortably and successfully with the current management setup for two years now with mutual trust.

There seem to be enough quality players who actively want to come and buy into Bielsa's methods - Almeda for one, if reports are to be believed. I think we can now find good recruits who actively want to come to Leeds. <ok>

9. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

That's why we need Bielsa to agree a new 3 year deal...ok he probably won't stay that long but let's maximise this short window of opportunity to exploit the South American market.

davy and Eric Le Merde like this.
  10. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I think the best we can hope for is Boelsa to have one more year with us. My gut feeling is that the 'project's he signed up for consisted of promotion and stability. Hopefully he thinks this needs another season.

The fella has worked miracles. I just feel that in his mind the job is or is very near to complete.

I want him to stay for years. I hope we get him for next year.

Irishshako, Gessa, Doc and 1 other person like this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Transfer window opens next week but as we can see we are linked with everyone who laces up his footy boots. But except for Cavanni who if it happened would be done because he scores goals for fun and would repay his wages in shirt sales, anyone else will be bought after using a data driven selection process. Yes you can say it failed for Big Kev but the data was over a year old as he hadnt played much recently. The data seen showed he as an improvement on Bamford in almost every aspect but importantly better in goal creation, pass accuracy in the final 3rd and goals per minute ratio and goal % ratio. In other words the created chances Bamford didnt take many would have been snapped up by a fit JKA.

The data Orta and his team use will need to be from the current season and must be an improvement on the player who has held down that position this season. So a striker is obvious but a creative midfielder would need as many goals as Pablo and more assists and many more minutes on the pitch. Replacing White will be a big ask but we should find a CB who can do what White did in interceptions, ball carry, pass accuracy and tackles plus one who scores more. Due to our crap corner conversion rate having a couple of our team who are tall and can head a ball.......

So I reckon we sit back and watch the media fall over themselves trying for the best clickbait headline and expect to see some really good players added to the squad:emoticon-0148-yes:

Infidel, Whitejock and Jammy 07 like this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’m thinking we still haven’t replaced Saiz, Roofe And Pontus. For me we need three players just to have a bare minimum squad we can pick from. I’m expecting Kiko to leave so that would make 4 signings to get us up to speed, ideally you’d like to strengthen a couple of positions too, Forshaw is far too injury prone, Pablo is not getting any younger and Berardi is a long term injury.

I think Struijk and a Shackleton are ready replacements but that still leaves us very short and in reality I can’t see us making more than three first team signings?

Jammy 07 likes this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I expect to see 4 or 5 new faces. Looks like we are offing Kiko and replacing with either Romero or Martinez type keeper, Berardi if he had stayed was always going to be a fringe player so Struijk takes that spot as he can cover for Phillips too. A top ball carrying CB to replace White, a striker who does what Bamford does but scores goals and a new No10 who creates and scores a better Siaz type player.

be interesting to see what happens with the kids this Summer as I expect some to be loaned out or released but those who make it to the first team fringe will be interesting

Whitejock likes this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

15. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Gent director says we've put a bid in:

https://motleedsnews.com/news/club-...ffer-for-27m-rated-attacker-than-euro-rivals/

Whitejock likes this.
  16. Jammy 07

Gessa and Irishshako like this.
  17. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Time will tell.

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Jammy 07

It's like the Wild West trying to do transfers these days.

Even when you have the player in the building, contract in front of him, there will still be someone, somewhere trying to hijack the deal.

To be honest more concerned about the Bielsa situation than anything else. It's not just the rumours of interest from Barcelona but with a worldwide pandemic raging you couldn't criticize the guy if he just decided to go home.

Irishshako likes this.
  19. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'm a big, big fan of Struijk, as many will know, but I think a few are getting a wee bit carried away.

2nd last game of the season, he came on as sub, then he played the last game in full. Did well too. But let's remember - these were pressure-free games. In the Championship.

So does playing these 120 or so minutes pressure-free, in a different position, mean that he's ready to start in the PL? I doubt it. Indeed, if we were remaining in the Championship, I'm not convinced Bielsa would start him.

For the record, I hope the lad is our best player in the PL next season - I just don't see him being a regular starter, if he starts at all. Sorry, just trying to be realistic here. I also think Casey is a good bit behind him, & Cresswell even further behing. Meaning? For me, this means that we need 2 CBs for next season, given that Berra will be out & White (hopefully not) leaving.

Aski and Doc like this.
  20. davy

davy Well-Known Member

On that:

https://motleedsnews.com/news/mot-v...bout-bielsa-messi-leeds-united-and-barcelona/

The story obviously annoyed someone quite a bit.

Whitejock likes this.