1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Staying up?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by devonFRATTONiser, Mar 27, 2011.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Congratulations on your impending promotion to the Premier League.

How confident are you that the Rs will survive in the top flight?

2. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

Every confidence in Warnock , keeping us up.
    What do you think?

3. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Depends on level of investment. Without it, I think current squad would have its back to the wall in the prem.

4. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it's a bit easier {I use the word loosely} to stay up than it was a few years ago. The Premier League is now 3 divisions in itself. Those chasing the Champions League, those chasing the Europa League (available to 7th place if the right teams win the FA and Carling Cups) and the rest in a race to get to the magic 40 points.
    The latter 'division' is by far the largest. When you looked at the Premier League 10 years ago you wondered who could possibly go down if one of the promoted teams were to survive. Now you can look at at least 7 sides as candidates. OK the 3 promoted sides will always be in that group, but it's no longer a novelty to see promoted sides stay up with a degree of comfort.

5. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Yeah you are spot on there mate, REP for that.

6. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say there'll be quite a few comings & goings should we go up.
    Really does depend on how much money the board throw at it. We've got some players that can make the step up, Kenny, Taarabt, Faurlin for example.
    But, we're going to need some serious fire power up front, & that's the key I think. Most promoted sides just don't have the necessary threat in front of goal, so we'll see.
    First task is to get there, tantalisingly close now!

7. HOADIE_BOI

You have the money, but will the owners put the money in, Well you could do with 2 or 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers.

8. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

That's the question we all want the answer to.
    This is QPR so nothing is ever straight forward!

9. HOADIE_BOI

No, You are definatly correct there.

10. ufos

ufos Member

QPR will fall from the premier league like Derby County a couple of years ago. There is no room for the long ball game in the premiership. If they make 20 points I will be gob smacked

11. HOADIE_BOI

I don't think they will fall like Derby, But it will be hard, they need to put a little bit of money into the club.

12. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

This so wrong on so many levels!

Have you never watched a Sam Allardyce team? Don't get me wrong, I think he's anti-football and I would rather get relegated playing West Brom football than stay up with Mr Anti-Football in charge, but it works. There is room in the premiership for long ball teams as Bolton (not now I realise), Stoke, Blackburn et al. have proven. So you're wrong on that count.

You're also wrong to imply we are a long ball team. You clearly have not seen us play this year and you are erroneously basing your comments on Warnock's reputation. So you're also wrong on that one.

You will also be wrong about us failing to make 20 points, and I think it's likely you'll be wrong about us failing although you might build a stronger case for us failing to stay up.

For future reference, perhaps try a line of argument such as, "you won't survive in the premiership as a one man team." At least there is a slight element of truth in that one, we DO have on player much better than the others...obviously we're not a one man team but it's less ludicrous that the rest of your tripe.

13. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Think I'm inclined to agree with queensparkrangers (long name mate but I do love writing it out like that!).

With Taarabt, it's not so much him being that much better than his team-mates, we've heard it officially - he's that much better than the entire division (medal and no doubt teeshirt to prove it).

Adel is young and given to throwing his toys out the pram - but he's also a stylist and hugely influencial (captain and the manager's mate) and the only long ball he is interested in, is the one off the end of his boot heading goalwards! With the boy in charge, this Rs side just don't do route one.

14. aerospacemango

Honestly?

Once we are promoted, I would expect our owners to plunge into the transfer market and make some very decent signings to strengthen the squad.

They don't NEED the Prem money for the club to survive (unlike some that are in there.....West Ham, anyone?) Therefore most, if not all, of the Prem money will go into the transfer pot.

Our owners are successful people, in their own fields, and will not want to fail in this venture.

15. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

I hope our are right Mango but that sounds like the kind of prediction about a big investment that we have been seeing since the so-called 'money' arrived. Yes they could do a Man City with their pocket change but I think they are more proud of their business pedigree than they are to be owners of a football club. Which is why they have been very careful to not show extravagance thus far and why, over the longer term at least, they will be looking to run at a profit.

16. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Nobody was ever going to spend silly money in the Championship. The Prem would be a different story. The owners know that the best way to run at a profit is to be in the top flight. That's where the tv money (both domestic and international), the merchandising, the gate recepits, the sponsorship, and all the other revenue streams are. A successful premier league team will always bring in the most money.

17. thephatone

thephatone Member

Personally much as i hate warncock i think qpr will do ok when they go up, they have the finances in place and experince from their manager wouldent surprise me to see them stay up by a point or so, good luck qpr hope to be joining you soon!