1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve Waggott?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by deleted....., May 22, 2012.

1. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

I think you should re-check your facts out. Varney did rejoin the board late in 2009 , but left soon after, due to a disagreement within the board. Ask yourself why Varney resigned his directorship after such short a period of time.To say he stitched up Waggott is nothing short of scandalous and shows how little you know of the actual facts. I think maybe you work in the PR dept of the Steve Waggott corporation. As you know Varney rejoined the club as a director when he brokered the deal and brought our new owners in, though no doubt you think Steve W actually did the deal ?

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Steve has a corporation.. How do I not know this?

I asked if you had an example as to why you said Steve wasn't up to it but received a lot of hot air with the admittance that Varney did return to the club whilst Steve was there.

As for him departing, I believe (and I don't know this through fact) that it was down to complications in trying to sell the club and he fell out with a board member (maybe more). I then believe this was when he tried once again to seek investment for the club.

Am I wrong in believing he was appointed to the board in this capacity to assist with the selling of the club?

3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

There is only one person spouting off hot air, that is you my friend. It is clear that you do not know exactly what has gone on internally, but just like to go on about how Steve Waggott was stitched up. It is not for me to put actual facts on a message board, as I don't see it as my job to denigrate any one individual, but it does offend people when you go on about what a great guy he was and how he got done up by people like Varney and Murray.

4. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Guys - could I make a suggestion?

If you take this discussion offline, you'd probably be able to lay out what you know in greater detail and with more freedom than in a public forum and perhaps reach a consensus, or failing that at least an accomodation.

Just a thought.

5. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

Fair point Tewks, but as far as I am concerned the matter is closed. Clearly Super and I are both in entrenched positions, and we have our own internal sources at the club, well I certainly do anyway. That's my lot on the subject unless of course I hear friends being falsely accused again.

6. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Right, I am going to be very tactful with my words here as I don't want to go too far off topic nor come across as pedantic when I name drop, but you're suggestion that I know nothing of the situation is a grave error and one which I'll rectify. Also, I'm not afraid to discuss these matters now, as I said, it's been two years since Steve left and currently have very few ties to the inside.

The question was asked how close me and my family are/were to the club? Well they bought in to it, and in fact even financed the north west stand through my old mans organisation before he retired (I'm sure I can find this on the internet to confirm this). See the people around the club- Steve Sutherland, Peter Varney, Steve Waggot, Chris Roberts (Greenwich Council), Paul Elliot etc etc? We spent a good several years with them, working closely and tiresly on sponsorship, and even enjoying beers when the time was there. I think we all became close (hours of meetings and conference calls forced that), but especially with Steve and Paul (the latter even helping me seek employment with a former company).

So now you'll see, I can go further in to conversations I've heard (first and second hand) - but I wont. Take a deep breath and realise that I was complimenting Steve on doing a good job in difficult circumstances and that there were people from the inside (again, if you need proof I'm sure I can find it) who tried to bring Steve down through the internet (a public tool). I never said THOSE people were Varney. I neither said it was Murray. I said it was my belief that once Steve's name had been dragged through the mud and fans used him as a scapegoat, then I believe it was the board who continued to let him take the flack as it took the attention away from them. Why do I think that? Because I saw a change in attitude. Nothing was said directly, but once where Steve was welcome at the club, towards the end he appeared (my observation, not his) shunned from the inside. I saw no attempt from the club to protect him when the times got especially rocky and he (and at times his family and friends) were subjected to abuse from the very small minority. Not one single thing.

If you took offense, then I'll apologise. I think you may have misunderstood my comments about ''cretins'' as that wasn't aimed at Varney. But, when you argue that Steve was ''out of his depth but a nice guy''? Well, it's the same stuff I've read over the net and not one individual has ever been able to discuss why he was out of his depth. We can discuss the dramatic cost cutting of overheads he implemented (and every step of the way with the intention of not making the fans pay more - E.G the making middle to upper management have free bar privileges revoked). I'm not saying he was flawless, but I'm definitely saying he did a much better job than 90% give him credit for.

To everyone else, I'm sorry if this has become tedious. It's apparent the thread has broken down in to a one on one, but I'm also comfortable in the knowledge that what has been said hasn't broken any confidentiality ''agreements'', something which some might (others might not) find interesting.

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

BTW, just to clarify, informing you of how I knew the ''inside'' wasn't in any attempt to show a sense of machoism, nor to necessarily refute your claim - but to merely give you an idea why I feel I can speak with confidence on certain issues (indeed you could well have been someone I mixed with at some point).

If you asked me to speak about the club now, I wouldn't be able to give you a smidge of insight <ok>

8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I never had any inside info ever, But would anyone disagree that those at the top from Mr. Murray down, never fully appreciated Curbs' achievemnts, thought it would be easy to replace him and the club paid a high price for this naivety. You can see similar events happening at other clubs- Wolves, Blackburn and Liverpool whose owners have no idea how to run a football club.

9. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

Super, I personally know most of those that you have mentioned, including Steve Waggott, Steve Sutherland, and Peter Varney. I also know Richard Murray, and CEO Steve Kavanagh, who was Finance Director under SW. Indeed I have spoken with them on several occasions albeit not on any business footing. Therefore my opinions have been based purely on what I have learnt from them and a few other characters connected with the club. We will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

10. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

ForestHillBilly, All i know on this subject is that Murray wanted Curbs to extend his contract, which I believe had just 12 months to run. Curbs declined to do so, and wanted to see out the final 12 months. The board felt that it would be wrong to give Curbs a substantial transfer kitty when he was going to leave a year later, and that any new manager might say they did not want those players, and then demand their own substantial transfer kitty. If Curbs had agreed an extension then I don't think we would ahve seen Dowie, and Pardew. There's a thought.

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Happy to do so, and again I'm sorry if what I said upset you <ok>.

12. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Yep, Getting rid of a manager is the easy bit, getting a good one is not so easy. Some people have to find out the hard way.

13. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

14. The Pub Landlord

The Pub Landlord Well-Known Member

This rather calls into question the notion that Elliott was an innocent who was duped by the villainous Rufus.