1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stewie's Corner - The Off-Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Crystal Palace Fans Cause ‘£40,000 Worth Of Damage’ By Vandalising Their Own Team’s Bus By Mistake !!

Crystal Palace’s team coach reportedly suffered £40,000 worth of damage after it was mistakenly vandalised by their own fans.

Police are said to be investigating after ‘Crystal Palace’ was spray painted across the team’s vehicle hours before Saturday’s clash with Middlesbrough.

Vandals had mistakenly believed the bus had belonged to their rivals !

The team’s assistant head groundsman, Dean Waters, tweeted: “£40,000 worth of damage on our coach thinking it was the Boro coach. Nice one!”

Palace had to use a replacement coach to travel to Selhurst Park, the Evening Standard reported.

Despite the incident, Crystal Palace went on to secure a win over their relegation rivals.

The club is yet to comment on the vandalism, which was greeted with some amusement on social media.

antipodean exile likes this.
  2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Russian politician Igor Lebedev proposes legalising football hooliganism.

A Russian politician has proposed legalising football hooliganism and turning it into a sport.

Igor Lebedev has drawn up rules for "draka" - the Russian word for fight - which he said would involve 20 unarmed competitors on each side in an organised brawl.

Groups of Russia fans were deported from France after repeated scenes of violence at Euro 2016.

Russia will host the next World Cup in summer 2018.

Lebedev, who represents the opposition Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, is also on the board of the Russian Football Union.

He published the proposal on his party's website, stating: "Russia would be a pioneer in a new sport. Fans arrive, for example, and start picking fights. And they get the answer - challenge accepted. A meeting in a stadium at a set time.''

Following clashes between his country's fans and England supporters at Euro 2016, Lebedev said he "did not see anything terrible about fans fighting".

3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I suppose if you're gonna have fights between rival groups of fans anyway, you may as well regulate it and ensure some degree of safety standard.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Birmingham City: Harry Redknapp named manager after Gianfranco Zola's resignation.

The ex-West Ham, Tottenham and QPR boss succeeds Gianfranco Zola, who resigned on Monday after a 2-0 defeat by fellow Championship strugglers Burton Albion.

Blues are 20th in the table, three points above the relegation zone with three games left, and travel to local rivals Aston Villa on Sunday.

"Birmingham are a proper football club but they are in a precarious position," Redknapp, 70, told Talksport.

Redknapp's appointment was announced just 16 hours after Zola's departure, and he says he will initially take charge until the end of the season.

He took charge of Jordan for two World Cup qualifiers last year, and worked as an adviser to Derby County last season, but has not managed in England since leaving QPR in February 2015.

An FA Cup winner with Portsmouth in 2008, he led Tottenham to the Champions League quarter-finals during a four-year spell at White Hart Lane.

In 2016, he was made a director at Wimborne Town and a football consultant for Australian side Central Coast Mariners.

Redknapp, who will be assisted by former Bristol City boss Steve Cotterill, said: "I got a phone call last night at 7pm from the people at Birmingham.

"I drove to London and had a 10-15-minute meeting with them and said: 'I'll come and do it.'

"My wife said to me 'are you mad or what?' but I get fed up sitting around doing nothing."

Blues could be in the relegation zone by the time Redknapp takes charge of his first match.

Should Blackburn and Nottingham Forest both win on Saturday, Birmingham would slip into the bottom three.

After facing Villa, Blues host promotion-chasing Huddersfield Town before visiting Bristol City on the final day of the regular season.

"It's a real challenge," said Redknapp. "I'll live up there until the end of the season, and if I keep them up I'll sit down and talk about next season.

"It's not really a risk. They have won two out 22. I haven't got a magic wand.

"I'm not going to turn them into Real Madrid. We need a win."

Harry Redknapp's managerial career and win ratio
    Jordan:
    March 2016 interim manager / QPR: Nov 2012-Feb 2015 (34.2%) /
    Tottenham: Oct 2008-June 2012 (49.5%) / Portsmouth: Dec 2005-Oct 2008 (42.5%) /
    Southampton: Dec 2004-Dec 2005 (26.5%) / Portsmouth: Mar 2002-Nov 2004 (46.5%) /
    West Ham: Aug 1994-May 2001 (37%) / Bournemouth: Oct 1983-June 1992 (39.2%)

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Harry Redknapp's first 'phone call with Panos Pavlakis revealed....

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Just found this apology from Luton's manager Nathan "Whinger" Jones to Pompey fans. It's genuine, honest...........<whistle>

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Blimey.!

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

TSS - Nathan Jones isn't flavour of the month with Pompey followers, after his disgraceful comments to the BBC regarding Pompey fans who booed his pathetic young midfielder Cameron McGeehan, who whilst viciously fouling our skipper Michael Doyle from behind, broke his own leg. The player then weirdly abused medical staff /and our club doctor who he allegedly spat at /stretcher bearers, etc. At one point he got off the stretcher, and was put back on again ! He was thumping the pitch, gesticulating to fans, and wonders why fans jeered him when he was carried off.
    At the time no one in the crowd knew he had broken his leg. If they had done, they would have clapped him off the pitch, but booed him due to his over the top childish histrionics.
    It is strange that Jones failed to hear his own "fans" chanting 'Let him die' to our fullback Gareth Evans when he went down injured needing treatment during the game !!
    Selective hearing I suppose :)

I just hope that Luton get knocked out in the playoffs - I don't want to see them again next season :steam:

10. TheSecondStain

Bloody hell, it just gets even more involved. I tend ['tend' being a fairly fine line] to look at BBC Sport for sports news and none of this emerged, as far as I was looking. And I do look, at all of the South's clubs stuff, from Brighton all the way to Plymouth.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Hey ! Did any of you watch 'The One Show' on BBC One this evening ?

Argyle players were being tested by medical professionals with some kind of serum from Rock-boring piddocks ( Penitella penita ) which are clams that are important agents of erosion in some areas of the west coast. The players were being tested for any illnesses,or medical problems. Very interesting programme.

From now on Argyle fans will be known as Boring Piddocks........... :emoticon-0105-wink: :)

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

BBC video of our brilliant former midfielder Sulley Muntari, who has suffered disgusting racial abuse in Italy playing for Pescara. Hope it plays o.k.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Lovely tweet by a Southampton 'fan' yesterday. Police have apparently arrested him - let's hope they lock him up, and throw way the key <grr>

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Perhaps this should be posted on the Jokes page.....:emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Saints new first team coach for next season ?! :emoticon-0105-wink:

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Actor Peter Sallis has sadly died aged 96. He was best known for appearing in Last of the Summer Wine and the voice of Wallace in Wallace and Gromit.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

RIP young Bradley Lowery who died today aged only six after fighting neuroblastoma so bravely.

18. TheSecondStain

You see those trucks around the M4/M3 connections. I think their depot is around there. I asked a retired friend, who'd worked in the haulage industry, about them once. He was very vague about it, but it might be the case that the founder owner was/is an ardent Southampton supporter. And he wasn't 100% sure about that. If it's not true then implied connection is pure coincidence.

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

FA Cup: AC London founded by a 16-year-old after London riots.

Prince Choudary (centre) is the founder, manager and chairman of AC London.

A club formed by a 16-year-old after the 2011 London riots will compete in the FA Cup for the first time.

AC London were formed in 2012 by Prince Choudary to help stop teenagers in Croydon falling into a life of gangs.

As well as founding and managing AC London, trainee solicitor Choudary is also chairman of the 10th-tier Combined Counties League Division One club.

'My uncle's clothes shop was hit by rioting'. Choudary was at school when rioting took place across London in the summer of 2011. Croydon, where Choudary was born and raised, was one of the areas badly hit. "They broke into my uncle's clothes shop, causing him to sell up his livelihood. They went past our house but luckily nothing happened," Choudary told BBC Sport.

They entertain Crawley Down Gatwick in the extra preliminary round on Saturday (15:00 BST), with Choudary set to become the youngest manager in the competition's history.

"In 2011 we didn't exist, now we're in the FA Cup," said the 21-year-old.

"The problem is the youth are misled in today's society and go down the wrong path; they choose the street life. "It was soon after the riots that I had the idea to start a new football club. There was little in terms of activities in Croydon and I wanted to make a change."

A club made up of 16 nationalities
    AC London has grown rapidly since being founded as a youth team in July 2012.

Within three years they were elected into the football pyramid for the first time and spent 2015-16 in the Kent Invicta League before being transferred to the Combined Counties.

"Setting up a club from scratch is an extremely hard task to achieve," added Choudary, who has FA Level 1, FA Level 2 and Uefa B coaching badges.

"I worked part time at a local solicitor's office as a cleaner to get the extra cash."

The current squad is made up of 16 nationalities, including players from Venezuela, Brazil, Cameroon, Spain, Bulgaria, Finland, Greece and Nigeria.

AC London groundshare at Whyteleafe's 2,000-capacity Church Road ground, close to Croydon.

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

>> Sterling work <<
    Charity begins at home

An FA bigwig has been courting players from the current England squad, hoping to drum up a bit of support for some football charity work that he's involved with in Cambodia at the minute.

Talking to one of the team's best known players, he couldn't believe his luck when the star immediately agreed to help. However, it quickly became clear that the player hadn't really been following the conversation too closely.

"Cambodia..." the player said. "That's that town near Oxford, right?"

That geography genius? Raheem Sterling.