1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stewie's Corner - The Off-Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Wythenshawe Town abandons game after linesman's 'racist' comments.

please log in to view this image

A football club chairman said he was "disgusted" a linesman who directed racist comments at a player has been allowed to keep officiating.

Non-league Wythenshawe Town brought its players off the pitch following the incident in January.

Chairman Chris Eaton said the club faced charges of "bringing the game into disrepute" for taking a stand.

Manchester FA said it was not its "practice" to suspend anyone unless the charges relate to assault.

Wythenshawe Town plays in the First Division South of the Hallmark Security League and was losing a match against rivals Rylands, 3-0, when the alleged incident happened.

The match was abandoned on 26 January after the linesman, who has not been identified, made the comments which were heard by four players in the dugout and the first-team manager.

Mr Eaton said the comments were directed at one of the club's black players and were "indefensible".

The manager complained to the referee, who spoke to the official but he decided to take his players off the pitch shortly afterwards.

Mr Eaton said he chose to speak out after seeing footage of the linesman officiating a game on Friday.

He told the BBC he had seen a statement signed by the official concerning the language he used which was "without question of a racist nature".

"And we've been threatened with action being taken against us, in terms of fines, for bringing the game into disrepute for taking our players off," he said.

Mr Eaton said a double standard was being applied, as people would expect him to evict supporters who made racist comments.

"What difference does it make if they are wearing an FA badge? I don't understand it," he said.

"Respect works both ways, it must do," he added.

A spokesman for the Manchester FA said charges were issued following an investigation and the case was now with the FA.

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

HAVANT AND WATERLOOVILLE FC CLUB STATEMENT: LEE BRADBURY

The Hawks and Lee Bradbury can this evening confirm that they have parted company by Mutual Consent.
    Lee has been here for seven years, he is held in the highest esteem by both the board and the majority of fans and he and his family is more than welcome to Westleigh Park.

The club would like to thank Lee for his hard work and efforts over the past few years and wish him well for the future.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

With all the ill feeling, this should be a "cracker" of a match !!

antipodean exile likes this.
  4. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this is a great shame.

When the Hawks were relegated from the National League South to the Isthmiam League they stuck with Bradbury, who turned it round with back to back promotions.

With Havant & Waterlooville being (if not THE only then one of only a couple of) part time, the act of staying up this season would have been an even greater achievement than getting there in the first place.

I wish Lee well and I hope that the Hawks can be a force in national League South next season. This is arguably their level. The single seasons in the Ishmian League and the National League are the only two season they have spent outside this division since the 'Conference' North and South came into being.

It's going to be a tough division next term, with all four sides relegated from the National league going into the Southern Division.

Up the Hawks - or from my boyhood days at the now defunct Jubilee Park - Up the 'Ville!

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I used to go to Jubilee Park many years ago, Dev, in the days of Jim Storrie, David Munks, etc. Used to be a pretty good standard of football.

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

PLYMOUTH Argyle have today (April 28) agreed by mutual consent that Derek Adams be relieved of his duties as Head of Football and First-Team Manager with immediate effect.

The club would like to place on record its sincere gratitude to Derek, not only for his hard work and dedication in his management of the team, but also for his wider input into the club during four challenging and often exciting seasons.

Assistant-manager Paul Wotton has been similarly relieved of his duties, by mutual consent with immediate effect, and the club also thanks Paul for his contribution and commitment to the Pilgrims’ coaching team.

Kevin Nancekivell will take charge of the team for the vital final match of the Sky Bet League One season at home to Scunthorpe United on Saturday.

The club will be making no further comment until further notice.

**COULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED TO A NICER (<whistle>) PERSON !!!! **

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Oh dear ! What went wrong !!

8. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

<peacedove> <rose>

10. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

JUSTIN EDINBURGH: Leyton Orient manager dies at the age of 49

Justin Edinburgh, who has died aged 49, managed sides in three Wembley finals
    Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh has died at the age of 49 - five days after suffering a cardiac arrest.

Edinburgh, who guided Orient back into the English Football League in 2018-19, had been taken to hospital on Monday.

"We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy," Orient chairman Nigel Travis told the club's website.

Edinburgh, who won the FA Cup as a Spurs player, managed Northampton Town, Gillingham and Newport County before moving to Orient in November 2017.

"All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments," added Travis.

"The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever.

"All our thoughts are with Justin's wife Kerri and their children Charlie and Cydnie."

Success as player and manager
    upload_2019-6-9_10-35-58.gif
    After turning professional at Southend, Edinburgh - a left-back - spent a decade playing for Tottenham, making 258 appearances and winning the FA Cup in 1991 and League Cup in 1999 before moving to Portsmouth.

Wooperts_duck likes this.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

What sad news, only 49 years of age, and just got Leyton Orient promoted back into the Football League <peacedove> RIP.

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Former Portsmouth striker Svetoslav Todorov set for coaching role with Southend United

FORMER Portsmouth striker Svetoslav Todorov is set to join Southend United in a coaching capacity, Echosport understands.

The 40-year-old former Bulgaria international had been coaching within the academy at Crystal Palace.

But Todorov now seems set for the Shrimpers following the departure of assistant Kevin Keen who left to take up a role with West Ham United’s academy.

Todorov scored 26 goals for Portsmouth during the 2002/03 season to fire the Hampshire club into the Premier League when Blues boss Kevin Bond was part of Harry Redknapp's backroom team at Fratton Park.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

SAM MAGRI IS A HAWK !!

Havant and Waterlooville are pleased to announce the signing of Sam Magri.

Defender Magri joins the Hawks after leaving Ebbsfleet United after the expiration of his contract.

The 25-year-old, who was born in Portsmouth, has previously had spells at both Fratton and Selhurst Park before dropping back into the Non-League system where he has had successes at both Dover Athletic and Ebbsfleet United over the past four seasons.

Playing his football closer to home than as he has done in Kent, his defensive prowess will be pivotal to the Hawks as we look to build a squad to be competitive in The National League South.

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Queen of the South threaten ejection for seagull feeders.

Football fans caught feeding seagulls have been warned they will be removed from a Scottish Championship stadium.

Dumfries side Queen of the South issued the message before their first home league game at Palmerston Park.

It comes after complaints about the mess and nuisance caused by birds at the ground at a cup clash with Motherwell last month.

Now the club has appealed to fans to help tackle the issue by putting any waste food in bins provided.

I can see where they are coming from - whilst down in Devon last month, my wife and I were sitting on a bench on the embankment viewing the River Dart, eating ice creams, when a huge king gull swooped from behind and pinched my hardly eaten cornet and then landed on the pavement, dropped the cone, and turned and glared at me in a threatening manner ! I was about to jump up and chase it away, when another king gull went to grab the ice cream cone from the original one, and a huge fight then commenced between the two of the them pulling at each one's feathers ! A third gull appeared from nowhere whilst they were fighting, and flew off with the cone :emoticon-0148-yes:

The ice cream (or what I had of it) was lovely - salted caramel double scoop :)

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bury FC: Anger and tears at League One club before EFL decision.

A coffin with 'RIP Bury FC 1885-?' painted on it leans against a wall. Just a few metres away, a woman stands handcuffed to a drainpipe.

Bury Football Club is 134 years old. In less than 134 hours, it could be no more.

With the club in financial turmoil, and six successive fixtures cancelled so far this season, the Shakers could be expelled from the English Football League.

It is the nightmare scenario for the club's fans and the town.

upload_2019-8-21_17-56-41.gif
    Joy Hart's father Les was 'Mr Bury'. He spent 44 years at the club as player, manager, coach and physio, and the club's south stand bears his name.

On Wednesday afternoon Joy - a former director of the club - handcuffed herself to a drainpipe at the club's ground in protest at its plight.

"We need everybody's help, or on Friday we will not be a football club ever again," she says, with tears in her eyes.

"I am appealing to all the north-west clubs. Please help us. Unless somebody comes in, we are dead on Friday. Forever.

"I cannot even bear to think about how much it will affect me and thousands of other people."

Just after Joy's protest begins, a man arrives and offers his support. He then kicks open a door at the stadium and shouts angrily at a member of staff inside before apologising to those around him and walking away. He later returns with two friends. Carrying a coffin.

There is a lot of anger in this town. Anger at how this club, their club, has been allowed to reach this precipice.

"What will annoy me is if 44 years of memories are taken away," says Tom. "I hope I have got lots more good times to come.

"I have not watched Match of the Day and the past two weeks of EFL, because I cannot stomach watching any football without my team playing.

"The chairman needs to do the right thing, give the club back to the fans and community, and players that will proudly wear the shirt."

On 30 April, Bury secured promotion to League One - an achievement made all the more impressive by a series of financial challenges off it.

A week earlier, the club had been put up for sale by owner Steve Dale, who had bought it from Stewart Day for £1 in December 2018.

"Even as we were celebrating, we knew what was coming," says Tom - one of 6,719 fans who packed out Gigg Lane for Bury's final game of last season.

"That Port Vale game might be my last memory of being at the stadium."

Only two of the players in the squad for that match remain, and the first-team page on Bury's website now features just eight names.

"Last season it felt like the players were playing for the shirts," says Jamie Hoyle, who set up a petition - since signed by almost 7,000 people - calling on Dale to sell.

"Seeing that dissolve over the summer has been dreadful."

Dale's eight months as owner have been controversial and tumultuous.

Bury have had financial problems before - administration in 2002, and further issues in 2012-13 - but the current crisis is seen by many fans as terminal.

In July, the club were hit with a 12-point deduction after entering into a company voluntary arrangement to try to clear some of their debts.

Players have not been paid on time, and last week midfielder Stephen Dawson argued with Dale live on Talksport, saying he is "on the verge of losing everything".

"Mentally, it's tough. Financially, it's been horrendous," says winger Harry Bunn. "My wife is expecting a child in February so it's been really tough.

"I can't see how a football club that's been going for 134 years can be two days away from folding.

"It's quite scary. We don't know what's around the corner. We don't know whether we'll be playing for Bury next week, or whether we'll be looking for another club."

Dale initially insisted he would not sell until financial stability had been restored, but then said he would consider selling sooner after staff "implored" him to accept a new offer.

On Tuesday, we reported he had rejected an offer made by former Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite. It is understood it would have secured Bury's survival, but Dale believes he can get a better offer.

The EFL has said the club must prove it can pay off creditors and show adequate operational funding by Friday and says it is "frustrated at the lack of progress".

David has come to Gigg Lane to try to return his season ticket.

"All I want to do is come and watch football," he says. "All I want is the club to survive, nothing else.

"I am pig sick that we have ended up in this situation. I have been coming since 1962 and cannot believe the way it has gone.

"The town relies on this club - it puts it on the map."

Hoyle describes the situation as "desolate".

"You fear the worst," he says. "You fear you will not come back here and see a game of football.

"It's all I have ever known for as long as I can remember. The effect it has had on the community, people like me, my dad and thousands across town... it doesn't bear thinking about.

"I cannot contemplate life without this football club."

The gates at Gigg Lane have not been open for a match since 24 July, when Bury lost 3-0 to Blackburn in a pre-season friendly. There is real fear they may never open again.

"I feel sad, emotional and angry," says 35-year-old John Wiggins, who attended his first game aged four.

"Seeing no football again at Gigg Lane would be a catastrophe. I hope some good news will eventually come for Bury fans but, if I am realistic, I don't see it."

Older fans - one in his 70s - speak of being "devastated" and of their "nice memories" being wiped out by recent events.

"It would be a catastrophe if Bury are no longer in the football pyramid," adds Wiggins, who feels the club gives him "a bond" with the Shakers-supporting grandfather he never met.

"There are a lot of passionate people here because of what the club means to them. Some come because it helps their mental health, others come because they have got nothing left, no loved ones, so the only thing they have is Bury Football Club."

Bernadette, who was born on the road Gigg Lane sits on, arrives to support Joy.

"It is an absolute tragedy," she says. "I feel as if we have been tortured.

"I would never watch another football match if Bury went out of business. Whatever happens in your life, on Saturday afternoon, we always had the anchor of the club.

"Just for two hours we could forget all those other worries and be part of the big Bury family."

As well as anger there are tears - and more will be shed should the worst happen on Friday.

Martin wells up as he considers the possibility of there being no Bury Football Club.

"I wake up every day looking at what news Bury is delivering and at this moment there could not be a worse point in my life," he says.

"This is my family, this is my life."

Interviews by Katie Gornall and Mike Minay

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Mourn Dennis Edwards. R.I.P. <rose> <peacedove>

Pompey are mourning the death of Dennis Edwards, who passed away last week at the age of 82.

The former England amateur international scored 16 goals in 80 appearances for the Blues between 1965 and 1967.

He started his playing career with Wycombe, but turned professional at Charlton, where he spent six years.

Blues boss George Smith parted with a fee of £15,000 to bring the centre-forward to Fratton Park midway through the 1964/65 campaign.

Edwards made his debut in a 2-2 draw with Southampton at The Dell and he helped his new club avoid relegation from Division Two.

His final appearance came on the opening day of the 1967/68 season in a 1-1 draw with QPR on the south coast.

A loan move to Brentford followed soon after, with Edwards then ending his playing career at Aldershot.

He remained in the local area following his retirement and became a member of Waterlooville golf club.

The thoughts of everyone at Portsmouth Football Club are with Dennis’ family and friends at this sad time.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bob Willis: Former England cricket captain dies aged 70. <rose> RIP

The fast bowler took 325 wickets in 90 Tests from 1971 to 1984, claiming a career-best 8-43 to help England to a famous win over Australia at Headingley in the 1981 Ashes.

He captained England in 18 Tests and 29 one-day internationals before his retirement from all forms of cricket in 1984.

In a statement, Willis' family said he had died "after a long illness".

"We are heartbroken to lose our beloved Bob, who was an incredible husband, father, brother and grandfather," the statement continued.

"He made a huge impact on everybody he knew and we will miss him terribly."

Willis subsequently worked as a summariser on BBC TV before joining Sky Sports as a commentator in 1991.

He continued to work for Sky and was part of their coverage of this summer's Ashes series.

The England and Wales Cricket Board said it was "deeply saddened to say farewell" to a "legend of English cricket".

"We are forever thankful for everything he has done for the game," it added. "Cricket has lost a dear friend."

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Jim Smith, former Portsmouth, Oxford Utd. and Derby manager, dies aged 79. RIP. <rose>

The well-travelled manager, known throughout football as the 'Bald Eagle', enjoyed a distinguished career with nine clubs across the leagues.

Among his career highlights were a League Cup final appearance with Queens Park Rangers in 1986 and promotion to the Premier League with Derby in 1996.

"Our thoughts are with Jim's family," said QPR in a statement.

Although Sheffield-born Smith's playing career was mostly spent in the lower leagues, it was in management in which he really established a reputation.

No-nonsense, direct and a motivator of players, the roll call of talent that he helped produce, sign or nurture is remarkable one.

John Aldridge and Darren Anderton were all signed by top clubs after progressing under his management, while players such as former soldier Guy Whittingham at Portsmouth and Derby's Croatian arrival Igor Stimac showed his eye for a signing.

He was a master of promotions, helping Colchester United and Birmingham City to climb divisions before transforming Oxford into a top-flight side featuring the talents of Trevor Hebberd, Ray Houghton and John Aldridge.

"I have so many fond memories of Jim as a football manager but foremost as a friend," said League Managers Association chairman Howard Wilkinson.

"Jim and I have known each other since our teenage years, and I have been in his debt since the day he asked me to become player-coach at Boston United where I served my apprenticeship.

"He was intelligent, passionate, determined, honest and always great fun to be with. Never one to mince his words, he was a leader in the truest sense."

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of D-Day veteran and Fratton Park stalwart John Jenkins MBE at the age of 100. John will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him. RIP. <peacedove>