1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Strategic management of football clubs

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Oct 26, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Whether all the people involved think it's a fair statement of what goes on at Watford FC, I thought this was a very interesting explanation of one way of running a club as opposed to a team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41710640

I think the most interesting statement is close to the top: "On the stability point, we take a view that the role of a coach, particularly at a middle-of-the-table club, is a short one. I think the lifespan is two years. They will either move on to bigger and better things or there will be problems and then you will look to move on and look in a different direction."

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting read notDistant......Allowing your manager/coach to be involved in his strengths....the coaching of the team and not to worry about anything else....how novel is that...:shocked:......ok that's possible at PAFC....Adams could do that bit....although he has proven also that he does have an eye for a possible player.

Then we hit trouble....Watford have Pozzo, Duxbury and Giraldi overseeing everything else and building a successful club...whoever the manager might be....only changing at the moment managers during the closed season. I assume this tripartite running the club have between them all the assets needed.

Who could we entrust to run the club....Brent has a business plan, that works on a shoestring....it has to, because he isn't seriously wealthy to be able to fund anything beyond the day to day requirements, to keep the club in the black. Amongst the rest of the directors and upper-staff who is there to bring the required knowledge/experience to be part of our tripartite at the top of PAFC.....that's the problem....there basically unknowns in the football world.

Another method getting some success is what is happening with Bristol Sports...where different sports are coming under the same umbrella of management....Bristol City and Bristol Rugby being the two main components, also other sports which I cannot remember off the top of my head have also been drawn in...under the leadership of a well known millionaire....who believe or not I cannot remember his name either at the moment......I did write about it a year back or so.

What is obvious to me is that PAFC have got to build a club that is far different than what we've seen in the last 10 years or so....maybe we are on the right track at the moment....but it would take a generation to get off the ground at this speed.......Pozzo obviously is filthy rich and can underwrite what is required...unfortunately Brent can't.....with PAFC on sounder ground these days....who knows someone with money burning a hole in his pocket....and also a love of west country football might take note and see the potential that could be possible in the right circumstances.....<whistle>.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

In the absence of a billionaire, for whom money is meaningless, I think we have to try and build a sustainable community focused club and that is what is happening. Yes it is a very slow business and won't suit all factions of the fan base. There are plenty of people who are very happy to tell the club what they should do but very few (if any) can demonstrate the how . Over the years, circumstances can and will change but for the here and now I think the current approach is probably the correct one.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Slightly unfair with one of those comments lyndhurst in the plenty of people section. It's more accurate to quantify that by saying that people are happy to tell the club or owner that we should employ players who will bring success and the how is that they open their purse up a bit and pay for it. That isn't being irresponsible it is what they would like to see which they see at other clubs. If other owners do it then why not their's. That isn't an unrealistic hope is it even if unlikely in our case.

Deep down nobody wants to go through the Admin thing again so in reality when pushed they accept prudence. What they don't like is an owner who appears a complete tightwad which Brent does. That may not be completely accurate but it is a common perseption. If they can see steady progress then even that is put to one side but unfortunately for Brent the promotion season looks to being followed by a possible relegation one back to where we started. Doesn't take long for the euphoria to wear off. If Brent buggers off and passes on the reigns then I don't think many people would weep. Like it or not that's reality.

5. notDistantGreen

I'm going to risk saying I don't think we'll be relegated this year.

There are times in any business when you have to take a risk and invest money in order to make a step change, whether it's in R&D, assets, recruitment or training. The word to note in that sentence is "risk" as nothing can be a guaranteed success and it would be well for those fans advocating a tidal wave of spending to realise that. It's also important to remember PAFC are investing in assets, in the form of the grandstand development, the catch up in maintenance expenditure and the improvement to the training facilities.

I think we will bring in a couple of players in January: hopefully a central striker and more cover in the full back positions. It does seem that we didn't get quite as many players in in the summer as was intended so that shouldn't bust the year's budget too badly. This year is still going to be one of consolidation though and I don't think we'll be in the play-offs.

Once the grandstand is up, running and generating new income and the team is consolidated, then the time will come to increase the playing budget and push for promotion.

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No relegation this season for Argyle....even at this minute we are only 3pts short of being out of the bottom four....so no panicking required at the moment.

With 93pts still to play for....mathematically we can still get 103pts....which is enough to be champions of this league....:rolleyes:.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I wasn't saying we would be relegated but it is a possibility from where we sit at present and to ignore that is a bit silly really. "when the Grandstand is built". Laugh...............I nearly wet myself. If having a Grandstand or anything new built is dependant on Brent then I still fear a long wait.

Of course spending extra is a risk. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. Brent won't risk his cash that's for sure so it won't be happening anyway. I am still very hopeful that we won't go down and am happy to go along with a bit of wishful thinking at the minute. Some though do believe we are fecked already so convincing that faction would be a bit difficult. Hence my comment about some not being unhappy to wave Brent off. It's the way of it with supporters.

8. notDistantGreen

It may be the supporters' way but it's muddle headed......

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't agree it is muddle headed at all. They have every right to be sceptical of Brent. They have been promised this and that one way or another only for it not to appear. The only thing that has appeared is that Brent said he would not spend his money and of course he hasn't. They keep hearing about this build that will support the team and in my opinion a load of bullshit about how much that might be yet haven't seen a brick arrive at the ground let alone any sign of a foundation. I could just as easily argue that it is muddle headed to believe Brent the shoot through.

10. notDistantGreen

It's not as if there's a viable alternative is it?

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You see that's the point notdistant. They mostly know there isn't much choice but they don't have to be happy about it and to shout Brent Out is pretty much their only way to voice any complaint so that Brent doesn't get carried away that he can just do or say anything. Even if they know it's a pointless shout in the first place.

12. notDistantGreen

Well, no, I don't agree. If there's no alternative, getting behind the project (or at least keeping quiet) would help give the players confidence rather than undermining it.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see Exeter are starting their work on the Stand.....................

14. notDistantGreen

Saw it on TV last night. Demolition costs will be low: looks like just needs a hairdryer on medium to blow it down.