1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer 2014 Transfers Mega-thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, May 12, 2014.

1. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i have expressed my opinion of the player, i don't think he is championship standard. others will have their own views.

i know he can pass a ball around a bit (and with a barca background that's perhaps not a surprise), but he is lightweight,lacks serious pace and he is definitely not good with his head.

time will tell on this one but i think ayala is much the better defender of the two.

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, McNally, the board and NA certainly do seem to have 'pulled the rabbit out of the hat' with their signings etc and I'm now going to sit back and enjoy our games. Hoping to get to a few way games as well this season and especially the City Ground!! <ok>

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I don't want to fall out again, Supers, but do you really think Wenger would keep a have one of 4 CBs who isn't Championship standard? 21 is very young for a CB and there is clearly further development of his game to come. Do you really think that our scouting system is really that poor as well? What say we just give the guy a clean sheet until we see him on the pitch for a few games.

4. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

perhaps you should read my summer breeze thread. you only seem to concentrate on the negative things i say. in truth, almost everything i've been saying has been positive but as i said earlier, i always write my honest appraisal. if i didn't write honestly, what would be the point? he'd be way down my list of recruits, that's all i'm saying. <ok>

ps. wenger curently thinks sanogo is a top four club standard striker. he thought pascal cygan was a 'top' defender. we all get things wrong. maybe i am on miquel. as i say, time will tell...

edit. just to add, i personally think miquel is no better than mcfadden and would rather see him elevated to fifth choice than waste £1.5m (if the fee is true) on someone else. again, personal opinion. if you think i'm wrong that's up to you guys <ok>

5. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

To be fair, if Wenger rated him that highly surely he'd have loaned him out rather than sell him on, it's not as though they are flush with CBs at the moment. I'm certainly going to reserve judgement until we actually see him play for us a few times, I am hopeful that he will be a good signing though.

6. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

talking of which, what on earth is wenger doing? welbeck is a good signing in my opinion, will fit in well in their style, but they effectively have only two centre backs for a season which will include a title push and champions league football. the man is seriously weird sometimes. why take a risk like that? asking for trouble.

7. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Top 4 finishes 17 years on the trot and a new stadium without the help of wealthy owners - what an idiot. Obviously has no idea how to manage a football club - they should have given the job to you. Incidentally Chambers has hardly put a foot wrong at CB, Diaby is being groomed as a CB and is nearly fit, Monreal can play CB in an emergency and there is also a promising youngster coming through which makes 6 - how many do the other top 4 contenders have? Can I also mention that Wenger is not the only person in the game who thinks that, with time, Sanogo will be a top class player and that Welbeck is a very astute signing.

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

9. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

I personally think Welbeck is an excellent signing for Arsenal, think he's their type of player and if he's given a good run in the team he can crack on with his career in the way Daniel Sturridge has done after a few seasons of bench-warming.

10. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i swear people don't read my posts!

i'm not saying sanogo 'won't' potentially be decent one day, but are you seriously suggesting he is of any use to them at the moment? he's not good enough to play for arsenal as the lone centre forward at this stage in his career. not even close.

what has 17 top 4 finishes got to do with wenger's lack of defensive cover? i'm not saying he is a crap manager - i'm suggesting he has taken a big risk by leaving himself short. he is 'weird' sometimes!

i also agree that welbeck is a great signing, i really like him and think he fits in well there, as i said above.

i know chambers has done well at centre back but he hasn't really been tested yet. he is more commonly used as a right back and wenger is trying to convert him, and if he's trying to convert diaby as well (always injured but thats another matter), can you not see my point about being caught short? monreal is not a centre back, and if you need him an emergency (highly likely this season), doesn't that back up my point? what if that approach of switching positions doesn't work? its not like they don't have the funds to fill these gaps with quality players. just one injury to one of their first choice centre backs leaves them in crisis. i find that bizarre and i'm not alone. ask any gooner!

11. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

also, got to pick up on this 1950: 'without the help of wealthy owners'?

sorry, what?

they are responsible for two of the five biggest transfer deals english football has ever seen, both in the last 12 months.

he's just not as cavalier in his spending as some of his rivals. but arsenal are hardly paupers.

12. 1950canary

You are doing it again!! If Wenger shared your views on his CB's and the cover he has then he would have done something about it and he certainly wouldn't have sold Miquel to us. Wenger is happy but you think he is being ' weird ' - whose judgement do I trust his or yours? He was being ' weird ' when he refused to accept ' you don't win anything with kids ' He was being 'weird' the years he refused to spend money for the sake of it. He was being 'weird' when he had no British players in his squad. Need I go on? Every year he is accused of being weird about something but every year Arsenal finish in the top 4 which is the point I was trying to make. He was allegedly being ' weird ' regarding Sanogo and the striker position but he quite clearly accepted the view that Sanogo is one for the future and brought in Welbeck - if you read what I said you will see that we agree on Sanogo and Welbeck.
    One final point. Miquel has been playing for Arsenal and, quite clearly, is not up to that standard. He is now in the Championship which is a hell of a lot different. How many players have we seen over the years who have been brilliant in the Championship but crap in the Premiership because they were not good enough for the step up. Just because Miquel didn't make it at Arsenal doesn't mean that he is going to be crap for us.

13. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

we'll soon see if it comes back to bite them on the bum.

i suppose if they go the whole season avoiding injuries in the back line he'll be deemed a genius whereas if they get one or two medium or long term casualties he'll be deemed a fool. that's the risk he has taken.

every gooner i know is infuriated with him for leaving himself short at the back and as great an achievement it undoubtedly is to finish top four 17 years in a row, he hasn't won even a fraction of what he probably should have done with arsenal during the last 15 years. he's been a terrific manager and continues to be so, and when he is gone he'll be hard to replace, but he does have some glaring weaknesses in his armoury.

anyway, back to norwich :)

14. 1950canary

Are you suggesting that the owners of Arsenal have ploughed money into the Club like the owners of Chelsea and Man City have done? If so I would like to see your proof of that. Arsenal are not paupers because Wenger has not been cavalier in the the transfer market and preferred to bring through young talent. This, in the early years, allowed money to be accumulated to build the Emirates and the income generated from the capacity of that stadium, a high pricing policy, the TV money and 17 years of Champions league football has recently given Wenger a healthy transfer budget. Despite all of that achievement Wenger is 'weird'. A Manager who spends £60m on a winger and a yearly loan fee of £6m plus £350k a week in wages on a striker when the main problem at his Club is a defence leaking goals is a ' tactical genius ' according to the media. Funny old world!!

15. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

oh god! don't get me started on van gaal!! we'll be here all day <laugh>

arsenal may not have spent the vast sums chelsea, city, united and even liverpool have done, but they have spent big on many occasions. its a total myth that wenger doesn't spend money. he spends all right, he just prefers to spend it on players not deemed the finished article, though this tactic has been pushed aside more recently due to the desperation to win a trophy after 8 or 9 barren years. he also seems to do exactly the opposite to what their fans want (which to be fair is quite funny). as a norwich fan i would happily measure my club highly against a backdrop like the one arsene wenger has given arsenal over the years, but arsenal fans have a different outlook and baring in mind their reputation within the game and how much they pay to watch their side, they probably feel they have a right to feel that way. in many ways wenger's biggest achievement at arsenal has been the emirates stadium, despite winning two doubles, albeit a long time ago now.

16. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

As far as Arsenal's spending is concerned when they first moved into the Emirates they hardly bought anyone, they are a fantastically well run club and can not be compared to Man City Chelsea or United lately ,they have made vast sums of money from player sales and only recently with marquee signings like Ozil Sanchez etc have they been paying megabucks for World class stars.
    Here is a breakdown of the last 5 years which doesn't tell the entire story of how well they have done ,considering they have been spending on a near equal footing with QPR and West Ham.
    http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

17. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Arsenal were paying off the stadium for 10 years.... that is why they now have a budget to compete with the top 2 or 3 again.

18. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

if ffp is brought in and does what it is supposed to, how would that effect manchester united? their spending has been out of control for a little while. always makes me laugh when their fans criticise the likes of chelsea and manchester city for 'ruining football' with their crazy spending, when historically and currently, united have ALWAYS been this country's biggest spenders.

19. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

by the way, there is little doubt arsenal are well run and have been for a while - comfortably the best run of the 'big' clubs in this country. that wasn't really the debate though. the debate was why would the manager not bring in defensive reinforcements when it seems clear that one or two injuries would leave them struggling <ok>

20. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

They are not paupers because they are a fantastically well run club .