1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Squad - Rumours, Signings and Departures

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Good luck and goodbye

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

4. Taffvalerowdy

Sad but very true <cheers>

azzuriswan likes this.
  5. Taffvalerowdy

An interesting stat:

upload_2021-6-4_8-50-17.png

azzuriswan and daimungeezer like this.
  6. Taffvalerowdy

Swansea City can confirm its retained list following the end of the 2020-21 season.

Andre Ayew, Kieron Freeman, Declan John and Barrie McKay have seen their contracts come to an end and will depart the Liberty Stadium.

Ayew has been the club’s top scorer for the past two seasons, amassing 35 goals since returning from a loan spell at Fenerbahce.

Freeman joined the Swans from Swindon back in January but made just one appearance in the FA Cup defeat to Manchester City, while both Declan John and Barrie McKay have spent time on loan with Bolton and Fleetwood respectively during the course of the 2020-21 season.

The club, meanwhile, has offered a new one-year deal to long-serving forward Wayne Routledge as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.

The 36-year-old – who has been at the Liberty for 10 years and amassed over 300 appearances – was ruled out of the play-off final with the injury.

Meanwhile, second-year scholars Scott Butler and Michael Murphy have been offered their first professional contracts following their performances for the under-23 and under-18 sides in recent seasons.

Butler has captained the under-18s throughout the recent campaign, and has featured for the under-23s on several occasions.

Murphy, who has progressed through the club’s academy ranks, was a regular in the under-18 side as well as stepping up to the under-23 squad during the past season.

Ali Al-Hamadi, Jacob Jones and Jamie Searle have all been offered fresh terms.

In addition, six academy players - Geoff Bony, Josh Carey, Joel Cotterill, Ben Lloyd, Jada Mawongo and Evan Watts - have been offered two-year scholarships with the club.

In the academy ranks Ryan Bevan, Matthew Blake, Bradley Gibbings, Jordi Govea, Alex Rutter and Jake Thomas have all left the club.

Everyone at Swansea City wishes them well in their future careers.

Retained: Adrian Akande, Steven Benda, Ryan Bennett, Jake Bidwell, George Byers, Ben Cabango, Rio Campbell, Brandon Cooper, Ollie Cooper, Liam Cullen, Yan Dhanda, Cameron Evans, Jay Fulton, Jordon Garrick, Josh Gould, Matt Grimes, Ben Hamer, Harry Jones, Joel Latibeaudiere, Jamal Lowe, Ryan Manning, Lincoln McFayden, Kyle Naughton, Connor Roberts, Tivonge Rushesha, Korey Smith, Josh Thomas, Lewis Webb, Morgan Whittaker, Daniel Williams.

7. Taffvalerowdy

That list of retained players looks lightweight to me!

We need a number of signings (a mix of permanent and loans) to replace Ayew, Woodman, Guehi and Hourihane

8. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

How on earth will we replace Barry McKay ??

9. Taffvalerowdy

Messi may be available .... <whistle>

10. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

It'll be interesting to see what gems Andy Scott comes up with and but yes its does look light but not unexpected

11. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

What about Ayew back on reduced terms ? Without him this season we would have be3n lucky to be mid table

12. PhilippineSwan

PhilippineSwan Well-Known Member

Ayew will be a big loss, I've always thought that after we were relegated, there was a panic firesale/clearout. If Ayew had stayed for that 1st season under Potter, what a forward line we could have had. James, McBurnie and Ayew.
    Just been looking at Kyle Joseph's stats, according to Cardiff On Line we are in advance talks, 12 league starts, 6 sub appearances, 5 goals. Not bad, considering Wigan avoided relegation by one point.

13. Taffvalerowdy

I suspect that Ayew would/could command at least £30k-£40k per week.
    In theory, the club could sign 4 or 5 ‘decent’ Championship players.
    The club hierarchy may consider that the better piece of business.

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

As would I, having all your eggs in one basket. etc We were lucky he was pretty much injury free but as you get older the risks increase as does the recovery time.

15. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Agreed. I would rather a few decent signings on reduced salary than keep Ayew.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  16. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Brentford signed Ivan Toney from League One Peterborough.

If we follow their example we should be signing Charlie Wyke from Sunderland - 26 goals for the season. I know nothing about him whatsoever!

Or Adam Armstrong of Blackburn. Scored 28 goals this season. That's more than Pukki but less than Toney.

Or Paul Mullin of Cambridge United. Top scorer in League 2 by a country mile - 32 goals. They got promoted but maybe he fancies the Championship.

17. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Trouble is that at the moment there is nothing coming out of the club about incomings only outgoings.....nothing from Cooper assuming he’s staying, nothing from Winter and nada from the owners...yes they are probably having a few days off before they start again but the fans need to see some crumbs of positivity coming out of the club and not just news about record season ticket sales at this level....

18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

TBH I'm taking the time off to enjoy other interests and only dip in and out when I have spare moment from washing, cleaning, hoovering, working, walking the dog, fixing the car, mowing the lawns , weeding, painting, repairing , sourcing contractors to replace a roof, watching my grandkids play football, baby sitting . Looking at that list its wonder I have any time for myself let alone worrying about the ins and outs of the club . I intend to enjoy the time and let others who have control and influence worry about who's going/ staying.

19. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Taff posted an impressive stat about Connor Roberts, I'd be amazed if he's still with us next season. It's unlikely he'll be replaced with as good or better unless we're very lucky with a gamble.

Even with the pragmatic Coops we've done far better the last two seasons than I was expecting but can it continue? Even if we can still compete it's unlikely we're going to see the type of football most of us would like.

azzuriswan and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  20. Taffvalerowdy

It really depends on who is in the Manager’s chair.

I honestly believe that Cooper knows deep down that, given the financial constraints, he / his reputation has peaked and that come Christmas he may, at best, be managing a mid-table team.

I think if he’s offered something, he will take it.