1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

All gibberish to me. The only thing l understood was you needed to get you mobile phone onto a charger pretty quick! <laugh>

2. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

I bought into everything Ralph said until the last paragraph! <laugh>

3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Could hijack Newcastle's move for Willock.

BackFromBeyond likes this.
  4. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Seen on Twitter that quite a few Liverpool fans are saying we’re in for Origi on a permanent with a loan deal for Harvey Elliott??
    Think this page will increase by 20 or so over the next week :emoticon-0102-bigsm

5. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Isn’t that because they are desperate to shift him. I saw some on Twitter wondering if we still wanted Minamino

Unless I have missed something they still haven’t replaced Wijnaldum and presumably need to sell to raise enough money for their targets. For example it is obvious Bissouma is available for the right price but he is still at Brighton

So perhaps Liverpool fans are just hoping ? I think they want 20m for him. And since that is the rumoured Armstrong fee and Origi has pretty much not paid regularly in years...

6. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Just as well this is the transfer rumours tread some as silly as the season others more logic based and occasionally one that becomes reality. Separate thread required for "I told you so" and "as I previously posted".

7. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Armstrong & Abraham on loan would be class, although unlikely due to Chelsea wanting to sell. Blackburn apparently want close to £25m for Armstrong which as about £10m too much

Saints14 likes this.
  8. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Given that we were happy to pay £10-15m for Armstrong if we got £20m for Ings, I'm not sure I see the issue.

9. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Edouard it is then....

10. swlondonsaint

swlondonsaint Active Member

I think the issue is that the person we are buying needs to represent good value, regardless of what we got for Ings. Now, granted, the price for Ings does in part contribute to determining what good value looks like, but to make the point using an extreme example, if we'd got £100m for Ings would we be happy paying £90m for Armstrong?

11. Brixham Saint

It doesn’t matter to much what Blackburn want for Armstrong in reality. Would imagine the best deal wins. I would imagine we have the ear of his agent and will do what is required if we really want him? Have read that he prefers a move to Southampton, so if true, that gives us a bit of an advantage straight away.

Heard a rumour this morning that after the Wales trip, Southampton changed their stance with Ings and gave his agent the nod to get a deal done for the price we wanted. No top 6 club were willing to deal so it was Villa or nothing for Ings??

Think it was the right decision at the above right price, and saved the club from having the usual will he won’t he for the next month then having to sell for several million less than what we got now.

12. SoriaSaints

SoriaSaints Well-Known Member

The problem with Armstrong is that Aston Villa paid close to £30million last season for Olly Watkins so Blackburn will be thinking that they would want something close to that. Not saying that they will get it but that will be their thought process.

13. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

From the reports it sounds like that is pretty much their thought process. They want £25m for him.

If that is true and we agree to it then we would essentially be swapping Ings for Armstrong (albeit having Armstrong on a longer deal than Ings was). Don’t know how happy people would be with that.

14. SoriaSaints

Some what disappointed with Ings. The motivation can only be money to go to Villa. West Ham would be more understandable because they are in Europe from a football point of view.

I suspect he backed himself into a corner and Villa were the only ones to put a bid in and Saints agreed. I'd be surprised if Villa was his preferred destination.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I was happy with around the £10m mark and Armstrong being in addition to Ings. However Ings has gone now and replacing him with a massively overpriced Armstrong would be a big gamble imo. I'd rather we move on to other targets if we can't get him for £15m or less. But we will see what happens.

16. Brixham Saint

Watkins had a longer contract than 11 months at Brentford. Plus Villa are one of those clubs at the moment that over pay as they’re chasing the top 6.
    With Armstrong it’s clubs like us, Norwich and Palace who are chasing him.

17. SoriaSaints

Yeah but Villa over paying has a knock on for everybody else. Blackburn won't care if Villa did overspend on Watkins, the fact is that they did overspend and it now becomes the benchmark for Championship strikers. Whether Armstrong has 11 months on his contract is irrelevant, it shouldn't but it is.

18. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

It is possible to change, though. Leicester for one moved up a level or two in the food chain.

19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah. The money we now have for Ings should, in my opinion, go towards Armstrong and another striker (or just one top striker, but that will be difficult). Rather than being used to pay, say, £20m to £25m for Armstrong.

Purchasing Armstrong for, say, £12m plus Obafemi might still leave us with, say, £20m available to buy another striker. (I know that adds up to more than we got for Ings. But I'm assuming that we have a least a small pool of funds already available, as well as no longer having Ings' salary on the books.)

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  20. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Clubs should always sacrifice current fees for a bigger sell-on when they sell to us, as we almost always deliver within a few years. Grab big fees from big clubs on the whole for promising players, and often within the length of their first contract.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.