1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For me, the ideal situation is that Bertrand signs a new (and most likely, final) two year contract, and we sign a promising young LB. Maybe from the Championship.

The latter is signed on the understanding that he'll initially be Bertrand's understudy, but can expect to become our first choice LB at some point over that two year period (the better he plays/quicker he develops, the sooner that becomes). So that when Bertrand's contract comes to an end next time, the handover had already happened.

Whereas if we were to lose Bertrand, and be faced with needing to sign two LBs (assuming we don't again go in with this ludicrous strategy of only having one!), then I think it becomes a lot more difficult to get a decent second LB. What sort of future career path are you meant to offer them, if you're signing a second new LB at the same time?

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  2. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Cannot blame Ryan for wanting out. Still a quality player in my book, yes he has slowed down, but he has been a great servant to the club. He must be so fed up with Saints, continually scrapping at the foot of the table. We have been lucky to have him.

Pelletron likes this.
  3. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Sounds ****.

5. saintrichie123

6. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Tracked by several clubs, Doubt very much he is coming here then.

7. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

"Sold to raise funds" - we have been trying that for 3 years now... no one wants them!

Osvaldorama and garysfc like this.
  8. Lovelocum

Are we talking Lemina hoedt et al?

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

They can’t have long left on their deals now? Probably at the point where we would get **** all for them anyway

garysfc likes this.
  10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Sweet **** all is probably even an overstatement of what we'd get. If we aren't selling Elyounoussi (who might actually have some value), I'd consider it a win if most of the remainder of our loanees walked on frees without paying up the final year of their deals.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Yes, and I can see no reason why a club would be more likely to want to buy this summer than 2018, 2019 or 2020.

Hoedt: Got dropped and Lazio have confirmed they won't exercise their buy-option.

Lemina: Has had a couple of decent moments but soon to be relegated - which means fulham don't have to buy.

Gunn: Not been great at Stoke but they are looking to extend his loan another season. So no transfer revenue but we will save some of the wage bill.

Elyounoussi: Has had a decent season overall even with Celtic struggling. He is the only one that might have resale value. Ralph apparently wants to check him out before deciding though.

We previously already failed with Boufal & Carrillo. We ended up paying to terminate contracts early and let them leave on a free - this might be our only option with the above list.

garysfc likes this.
  12. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Hoedt and Lemina both have 1 year left on their deals when they return. Gunn and Ely have 2.

Hoedt and Lemina seem to be the 2 most want completely rid of so with only a year left can see the club letting them go on frees to whoever wants them. Seen some reports saying Ralph wants to have more of a look at Ely in pre season and Gunn is going back to Stoke on another loan deal for next season.

So basically we aren't going to be raising much/anything from the loanee players. Just some more money in the wage budget. Much more likely our summer WARCHEST comes from selling Ings and Vestergaard

garysfc likes this.
  13. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

With the way the market is, and club finances being tight around the world, I can almost guarantee that we'll let them go for free next summer instead of selling this summer. Both are key players for us, and worth more to keep, even if they go next summer.

14. Lovelocum

I’m against paying up and then allowing them to earn more on top of their golden handshake. **** footballers shouldn’t be rewarded like this.

Id rather they were paid to sit on their ass, nowhere near the first team.

davecg69 likes this.
  15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think there's more chance we sell Vestergaard than Ings. We may sell both but at least we have Salisu waiting in the wings at CB. No one's going to offer more than 20mill for Ings and I don't think that would be enough for us to sell.

16. saintrichie123

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone came in with a big offer for Armstrong, I know he’s recently signed a new contract ....but so have others before and have still been sold.

17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No one's going to pay 35mill plus for a 28 year old unless they bang in 20 goals a season regularly or is a proven international class player. Armstrong, for as good as he is for us, isn't the sort of player who will attract bigger clubs. If he was a few years younger then maybe.

18. saintrichie123

I don’t think anyone would pay £35m, but if someone offered say £20m (bearing in mind we paid £6-7m) given our selling history...I think we just might sell.

2ears1mouth likes this.
  19. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

I think risk vs reward would be far to great in favour of the club not being able to replace him. He is the difference maker, Alot of the time. I Just can;t see the club, Especially Ralph letting him go.

This was in response to you Richie.

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

20mill wouldn't be nearly enough for us to even look at it twice. Offer would go straight in the bin.