1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

You'd be desperately disappointed!

2. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Not really.... Hesketh is in his mid twenties and failed to impress at League 1/2 clubs. As harsh as it may sound, he has no business being part of a premier league squad.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

And Hesketh, to his credit, agrees in that article.

4. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Fair play to him, ultimately there's no reason for Ralph to know his face if he's been out on loan and failing to impress.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Tella looks the business and credit where it's due to Ralph for picking him towards the end of the season. But I'm not going to get too excited about Tella yet because we've been here before with the likes of Valery. Remember how much we were all raving about him not long ago?

Agree about N'Lundulu. Just doesn't look remotely good enough to me unfortunately.

6. Le Tissier's Laces

I do still think that everyone, Semmens, Ralph, etc etc are clinging on here in the hope of a half decent takeover.

7. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is saying Hesketh was good enough to be part of the squad, but for Ralph to have had just one conversation with him in nearly 3 years is pretty poor. I know he was out on loan etc, but he has also spent a lot of time here in that time as well. At the end of the day, he was 22ish when Ralph took over, so not exactly a youth player at that point, and maybe he should have at least been looked at in training.

I don't know the ins and outs of it, obviously, but to me, Ralph hasn't come across brilliantly here.

8. Saints Fan4Life

But it's like Hesketh himself also said, maybe if he had a manager who believed in youth when he was 18 (rather than being ****ed around by Koeman, Pellegrino or Hughes), things may have turned out differently.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

He will have been looked at in training. And found not good enough. Hence the loans etc.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I rated Jake after watching him playing for the Academy teams and thought that he might be the next Lallana. He had untimely injuries when he looked set to breakthrough into the first team which no doubt set him back. I think that his size has maybe been a drawback as he tried to impress on loan in the lower leagues plus he had further injury problems.
    The truth is that if he had pulled up trees consistantly on loan then i'm sure that he would've been given a chance at Saints but ultimately he hasn't kicked on for whatever reason but I hope the lad finds a career at some level of pro football.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.

11. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but he made the comment, and has been proven correct.

Id also be amazed if he didnt have comms with other departments also.

But the fact is, they have been average, for Ronald and every manager since - im not sure what the issue is - maybe im just hot and cant see it...

12. Negative Creep

Bongo.

13. Negative Creep

Agree with this, but also on your other valid points, it is so important for a club like us to tap into talent, which is why Ralph is so important to us.

The playbook needs time to develop through all age groups to have a route to first team football, making us more self sufficient.

If Ralph did ever go, the replacement also must but into that philosophy, there are managers out there like that im sure, just we need to keep on this path and hopefully still be in the EPL to see it through.

Maybe we should do one of those 5 year plan thingy's ive heard about.

14. Saints Fan4Life

Yeah, he may have been proven right right now. My point is that if they had a manager who was interested in them, in coaching them, in improving them, they might have turned out better than they have done. I'm not saying that for certain, but if we had someone like Ralph around (and his playbook) 4/5 years ago, I'm willing to bet that the likes of Reed & Sims would have pushed on more than they did.

Instead they were ****ed over by Koemans ignorance, and then a plethora of managers who weren't really interested either. And then by the time Ralph came along, they were all probably too old and too far behind to really push through here.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

While I think that we've criminally misused the Academy, I do think that it strains credulity to believe that the difference between being a moderately-underwhelming League Two player (which is what Hesketh is now) and being a Premier League player is whether they got some first-team practices in seven years ago.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It wasn’t just a snapshot in time of those players who Koeman didn’t rate either. His comments and his attitude led many parents of younger scholars at the Academy to take their kids elsewhere. Beefy and others told many accounts of this at the time. This, along with the managers since Ron, plus other people like Martin Hunter’s unsuitability for the job, has led to where we are now.

17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

18. Negative Creep

Well, that is plausible, possible, but we cant do much about the past now, rather than focus on the future, which seems like we now have a plan.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I think that some Saints fans (me included) are always waiting for the next Adam, Oxo, Luke to come along and see a few good performances at the Academy level from a player and think that he is it, I thought that with Jake but League level senior football is a steep learning curve for some and I think that he needed to bulk up a bit to add to his skill on the ball. I worry that Will Smallbone might go the same way.

20. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Why are you posting transfer news on the Saints Academy thread?!