1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer '22 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Fair point re those 2.

I wouldn't be upset to see them both start, but I'd also be fine if we signed better if they where available.

springtiger likes this.
  2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

I look at Huddersfield's progression this season, by overhauling their defence to move up the table and feel like we're the opposite way around, and need to overhaul our attack. They show how easy it is to spring up the table if you make the right adjustments. You don't need to change ten out of your eleven starters, just fix your weaknesses.

3. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

But what's our weaknesses? Nobody talks about the defence but we do have to play a back 5 with 2 holding midfielders to compete at this level

4. SydneyTiger14

Do we? We did ok with a back 4, just lacking the forwards to make a better fist of things. It's not like we were belted in any games with a back 4.

PLT likes this.
  5. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

There's also the improvement of players at this level over time. We were better in second half of the season than in the first, perhaps because players adjusted and improved. So even without signing anyone, just the continuity and development of our existing players perhaps make us a mid-table level team now, certainly the form table in the second half of the season suggests so. Something similar happened with existing players in 2008, and for teams like Luton and Huddersfield this year.

In recent years, we've never got this benefit because we've lost players at the end of their contract just as they've started to get good, and replaced them with cheap players from a level below who needed time to adjust all over again.

SydneyTiger14 and Help! like this.
  6. Shark Sports

Under Shota, we've been extremely defensive. We were pretty much bottom of the league when we played a back 4, the transition to 3 at the back really helped things for us.

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  7. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

We took one of the holding midfielders out against Bristol City and lost 5-0, we weren’t great that day but when you compare that to how we played and defended in surrounding games it speaks volumes.

Our worst performances under Shota have been without 5 at the back and 2 holding. Derby, Barnsley, Bristol, West Brom

Shark Sports likes this.
  8. SydneyTiger14

Think there was a bit more to that performance than just one less holding midfielder.

PLT likes this.
  9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen quite a few people say this, but it seems to ignore the fact that as soon as we pick up an injury, they become first choice.

10. Nikica Jellyfish

Nikica Jellyfish Well-Known Member

Greaves is good enough to play a back 4. Other two aren't and should be looking to be replaced in the starting line up. Coyle/Elder not good enough, okay with having them as stand ins but na not for me, Fleming looks good in a back 5 and going forward, comes unstuck defensively hope he improves.

Squad is leagues from where we want it, we need to release sentiment to some of these players realise they aren't good enough and move forward.

springtiger likes this.

11. SydneyTiger14

As is the case with any depth option at any club in the world?

Jim the Tiger likes this.
  12. SydneyTiger14

Then to be honest we shouldn't be offering Honeyman a new deal as he isn't good enough as a creative midfielder.

13. Nikica Jellyfish

Nikica Jellyfish Well-Known Member

I am a big Honeyman fan but it certainly raises some questions, we must accept as a whole they aren't good enough and we need plenty of incomings.

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  14. Shark Sports

I completely agree.

If there's a belief that someone isn't good enough to play every week then they shouldn't be in the squad.

15. SydneyTiger14

I'm a fan too but my point is more that if you want to draw a line with sentimentality then realistically about 90-95% of the squad needs to go to get where we want to go, but the question is when do you shift them out. I think plenty of what we have is fine for next season, and the bigger question is the season following that. As PLT said, give most a chance to see if they can step up and adapt to where we want to be, with the support of plenty of new additions, and then revise following this season.

Nikica Jellyfish likes this.
  16. SydneyTiger14

Ridiculous notion. We aren't a Liverpool or Man City that can have 16-20 first choice players in the squad.

Jim the Tiger likes this.
  17. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

Of course but the proof is in the pudding when looking at how we defend with 3 centre backs 2 wing backs slater and smallwood compared to 4-3-3 or docherty/honeyman playing next to smallwood

18. Shark Sports

Haven't we given them all a chance though? They've had 46 games, how many do you need to prove whether you're good enough for this level

It's not a ridiculous notion at all. Under Bruce at this level we had fantastic squads with depth and a lot of players you can rely on.

Let's be frank, if you get rid of Coyle and Elder it's not particularly difficult to find better replacements. I'm sure the recruitment team have dozens of targets. The issue is, we could end up signing 15 players and that's not particularly great for instant success generally

19. SydneyTiger14

Under Bruce we turned the previously maligned McShane into a reliable option, we had a rotating list of keepers with Amos, Jak and Stockdale between the sticks, we had the skeptical signing of his son coming in at CB, and battlers like Evans, Hobbs, Rosenior, Meyler, and Dudgeon who all played significant roles. All players who improved and proved that they could step up to compete for automatic promotion and then a number of whom played a role in the PL.

20. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Luton are going to try and sign Ingram.