1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SUMMER NEWS 2018

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle have now released a comprehensive list of friendlies for July......no home matches.

July 7th.....Plymouth Parkway...3pm.
    10th....Torpoint Athletic.....,.7-30pm
    11th...Callington Town.......7-30pm
    14th...Helston Town..........3pm
    17th...Torquay United.......7-30pm
    18th...Bideford AFC..........7-30pm
    21st...Yeovil Town............3pm

22-28th Overseas training Camp.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Charlton...0-1...Shrewsbury....FT

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Argyle have apparently offered a contract to Ian Vigurs of Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Ironically, he's their Player of the Year and is in the divisional Team of the Season but Inverness can't afford him after relegation last year.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wow that could be interesting....where did you get that from.......Iain Vigurs 30 yrs old 5ft 8in midfielder......interestingly played for Ross County between 2009/13....so Adams would know what he can do.....could that point to Adams knowing that he has lost maybe David Fox....or that he just wants to beef up his mid-field options, also left-footed.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. notDistantGreen

Rumour has been circulating for a couple of weeks - I did mention it - but has now escalated to "have offered contract to" from "are interested in".

Bit of a bad boy it seems -
    • Criticised for "laid back approach" during 1st spell at Inverness
    • Referred to himself as "Ross County's Mario Balotelli", due to his training-ground eruptions and occasional crazy behaviour during spell at Ross County
    • In June 2009, along with his brother Patrick, charged "with initiating an alleged racially aggravated street attack" outside an Aberdeen nightclub. Both were cleared in August 2010.
    Having said that, is a Scottish U19 International, has played in the Europa League and has at various times attracted attention from St Johnstone, Hibernian and Rangers as well as Oldham and Barnsley.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams managed Ross County twice....2007/10 and 2011/14.....so he would have brought Vigurs to the club during his first period.....so he knows the player and what he can do......on a whole the Ross C players that he has brought to Argyle have been good value.....so Vigurs has some fire in his belly, I'm sure Adams knows how to direct that on to the field....if he didn't know he wouldn't be interested in him.

7. notDistantGreen

We assume... Only a Twitter rumour.

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I am going to resist commenting on rumours, but this is the first time I have heard this one........sounds like a DA signing but who knows...? (I genuinely don't)

9. notDistantGreen

Probably nothing. Gotta love a good rumour though.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It'll be a long summer without the odd rumour....although this one could of worked for us....being ex Ross County.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well.....disappointed son and grandson last night as Charlton lost 2-0 on aggregate to Shrewsbury....who will be going to Wembley for the second time in two months.....they have got a poor record at Wembley.
    The other semi between Rotherham and Scunthorpe is all square at 2-2.....I still fancy Rotherham for the third promotion spot.
    If that happens it will mean that the three clubs who were relegated last season have gone straight back up again.....is the gulf between the Championship and Div 1 getting bigger.....just like it is between the Premiership and the Championship....it's all about money.

Championship bottom three 2016/17.

22nd.....Blackburn.....51pts.
    23rd.....Wigan............42pts.
    24th.....Rotherham.....23pts.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see we've added an 8th game.....also on Sat 14th... away to Tavistock AFC at 3pm.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talk of top Belgium league side (12th out of 16) Waasland-Beveren on the verge of signing Oscar Threlkeld.

Preston also showing interest.

If Threlkeld goes to Belgium we would not get any payment for him being under 24.

14. notDistantGreen

Speculation in the Herald that Matty Kennedy won't be offered a contract by Cardiff, newly promoted to the PL. He hasn't been in the Portsmouth side but apparently Pompey do have an option to make a permanent signing and talks have taken place.

Was very lively for us in the promotion season but I can't see us getting into a bidding war with Portsmouth.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Matty Kennedy hasn't had too much playing time this year for Portsmouth, been second fiddle to Kal Naismith....he seems to either blow hot or cold.

Has had talks with Portsmouth as notDistant has mentioned....no chance of playing Premier football with Cardiff....so has been let go by them.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

PS.....Portsmouth have released 4 players....one being Kal Naismith....so will Matty Kennedy be staying ?

17. notDistantGreen

Derek Adams spotted at the Rangers v Hibs game at the weekend.

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Lets hope his trip is worthwhile!

New home shirt growing on me but when is the new away shirt being announced?

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No further news on Oscar Threlkeld's possible move to Belgium.

Not sure that Oscar wants to play for Adams any longer.....He came back from his injury on the 7th Oct....having been out since the first game of the league season and couldn't continue after half-time....and finally came back just before Christmas on the 23rd Dec.
    Adams being interviewed post match, when asked about Threlkeld not coming out after half-time said that his leg was sore and didn't feel able to push through the pain barrier....well it had to be more than that seeing he was then out until the 23rd Dec, maybe he came back too early and caused more damage.....picture of Threlkeld sitting on the pitch during that first half....looking not to pleased.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Oscar Threlkeld has just announced that he is leaving Argyle and will be joining Belgium top flight club Waasland-Beveren.....this of course means that we will get no money from the deal because he is still under 24.....a UK club would mean some form of fee....but not if going abroad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.