1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

League Cup draw....Argyle away to Peterborough....will be played week commencing...August 9th.

Papa John's Trophy....we are drawn with Arsenal U21's...Newport C and Swindon.....matches to be played during.....Sep/Oct/Nov.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Still don't care about the Trophy games and doubt I ever will so who we play or don't play is redundant. League Cup away again and this time I doubt we will see round 2. Again I can't build up much enthusiasm for that either. I note two things though. League wise we are away on the first day once more and we are away on Boxing Day for the umpteenth time. Just once it would be nice to have a fixture on Boxing Day I could go to.

2 more signings today. Well 3 if you include McCormick. Every one of them designed to stop goals being scored against. I think Lowe is going to build a wall with them. That should do it. Suspect we might move up the pitch a bit from here on.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Incoming again today.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Could this be the...' contract proposal'...for a holding midfielder that Lowe hinted at yesterday ?

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The planned training trip to Spain has been cancelled.....because of covid travelling restrictions.....Ryan Lowe says that they will do something more local in either Cornwall or Devon.

6. notDistantGreen

Must be fairly certain of acceptance if the club Tweets "incoming"...... unless of course it was from yesterday!

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So it's the return of Jordan Houghton 25yrs old... 6ft tall...midfielder.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I can't believe this is Argyle signings. Hardly a flicker of dissent anywhere. Hardly an underwhelmed comment or criticism of Argyle. I'm either going to wake up in a minute and it won't be true or somebody has brainwashed the congregation. Next there will be outbreaks of enthusiasm.

9. notDistantGreen

Certainly knocking them out, one a day recently. There was a lot to do and it seems it's being done.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

But where is the lack of enthusiasm we are famous for down this way. You know the thing "we'll probably be promoted dreckly when tothers aren't"

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Nice to get early signings for once rather than the bottom of pile. Hopefully now Argyle have proved that they mean business from now on....well done staff!

12. notDistantGreen

Well, as a wise man once said, I'll make up my mind after I've seen them play. Or a sensible man at least.

Nevertheless, you can't complain about someone who started at Chelsea, has England caps at Under 16, Under 18 and Under 20 and who has 180 senior games under his belt, 100 of which were in our current division. Great to see the club executing a recruitment plan in what looks like a very organised way. Good practice from top to bottom.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Interesting incomings amongst the six newbies... especially on Thursday & Friday....better than last years raw recruits....pedigree maybe for the future but of course no match time experience amongst them.

To get my head around what's been happening...I need to see what the squad is looking like this weekend (26th June).

Keepers.

Mike Cooper
    Callum Burton
    Luke McCormick.....now coaching staff etc....but retaining his player registration.....this would mean apprentice Tyler Coombes wouldn't be required on the bench if injuries occurred.

Defenders

James Wilson
    Dan Scarr
    Macaulay Gillesphey
    James Bolton
    Brandon Pursall
    Ryan Law
    Ollie Tomlinson

Midfielders

Joe Edwards
    Danny Mayor
    Conor Grant
    Panutche Camara
    George Cooper
    Adam Randell
    Jordan Houghton

Forwards

Niall Ennis
    Luke Jephcott
    Ryan Hardie

So at the moment 20 players

Have I missed out anyone from the first team squad ?

So do we need another mid-fielder and at least one more striker ?.....that would still only be 22 players...do we generally have 24/25 in the squad.

Have we now got a commander in defence who will organize....maybe too much to expect a young keeper to organize more senior experienced defenders.....could it be James Wilson....we need someone.

If we go for another striker....I feel he needs to be experienced and a proven goal getter.

Will Jephcott start scoring again....we became desperate for goals when he dried up not long into the new year...lets hope that is behind him... if not he doesn't warrant a place in the starting eleven.

So everyone starts with a clean slate for 2021/22 season.....and that includes Ryan Lowe who claimed two records he won't want to remember....80 goals against in a league season and the worst ever goals against in an Argyle home match season.....Hopefully this defence will do a lot better.

I assume we'll find some loanees to bolster the numbers....and maybe some of our younger players might go out on loan to gain experience.

AWAY IN BC likes this.
  14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We have of course a trialist with the squad at present.....Brendan Galloway been released by Luton....he has been unlucky with injuries during his time there.

You read his playing history until his injuries and you must be impressed with his record.....so a gambol for Argyle....but only if we sign him.....if he comes through his trial period and his injuries are behind him then we would get a player who would normally be beyond our reach....we'll watch what happens.

15. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Plym, thats just what i needed.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My pleasure BC.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Arranged pre-season friendlies.

Sat...3rd July...away.....Plymouth Parkway..........Result.....1-5...win.
    Tues...6th July...away...Elburton Villa......(Academyfixture)............match postponed...will rearrange.
    Wed...14th July...away...Saltash.........Result.....0-7...win.
    Wed...14th July...away...Tavistock...8pm...........off.
    Sat...17th July...away...Bristol R...1pm..............1-1...draw.
    Tues...20th July...home...Swansea...7pm...........1-2...lost
    Fri...23rd July...home...Middlesbrough...7pm.......1-2...lost.
    Sat...24th July...away...Tavistock...3pm.....0-0......draw.
    Tues...27th July...home...Bristol C....6pm.....0-1.....lost.
    Sat...31st July...away...Torquay...3pm........extra game arranged.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  18. notDistantGreen

Useful set of fixtures.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Certainly more taxing than last years friendlies......and gives newbies some Home Park minutes pre-season.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  20. notDistantGreen

And doing the community thing early in the schedule, working up to hard games against Championship opposition... which is the level we aim at.

I'm a bit surprised not to see Torquay or Truro in the list, both clubs who've taken loan players from us recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.